Senseless designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterSavior

Chieftain
I'll just provide two examples, since I don't have a ton of time to go through every one of the myriad instances where this game made no sense to any reasonably informed and intelligent person.

It is utterly ridiculous and dumb to have aircraft carriers earn their experience only by being attacked. Anyone with basic knowledge and sense would know that when aircrafts operate from an aircraft carrier, these operations are combined efforts from both the ship and the aircrafts. Even someone totally lacking in military knowledge ought to be able to intuitively perceive that fact with ease. Therefore, it should be painfully obvious that experience for aircraft carriers in the game ought to be shared by the aircrafts that perform missions from them. As for the share ratio, it ought to be around 50/50, since that reflects reality.

Similarly, it makes no sense at all to design an itsy bitsy teeny tiny "close" button at the bottom of in-game pop-up windows. I'm sure that I'm not the only one to correctly presume that aiming for the tiny "close" button with the huge cursor was not supposed to be part of the gameplay mechanics, nor any part of the "fun". Yet, such design is repeated throughout the interface like a viral infection of idiocy. It always seems that flaws which are all too obvious are all too often repeated, in all too many cases. When I see such incredibly senseless designs, the most immediate impression that comes to mind for the overall image of the product is one of stupidity. Rightfully or wrongly, such first impression carries over to my opinion of the developers themselves as deficient in all the qualities that define having human intuition. Design flaws that are obvious at this magnitude can be understood, but only from the perspective that such characteristic patterns of disconnect from human sensibilities appear endemic among almost all computer software, including the zillion iterations of Windows, IE, Chrome...etc, etc, etc.

As I had mentioned from the start, there are countless similar in-game examples of absurd nonsense which baffles the competent mind until one realizes that Sid Meier and his game developers are just computer nerds who all too often lack the common sense that most intelligent human beings take for granted. But on the flip side, you're also able to better communicate with computers, because your thought processes are more akin to that of machines, if machine processes could be considered thoughts. But therein also lies the single biggest problem preventing any complex software from even remotely approaching universal acceptance. Those who are able and willing to code for such software rarely also possess the common sense that will pass muster with the intelligent sensibilities of anyone outside your circles.

Moderator Action: Do not post substantially the same material in two different forums. This thread is closed. Any replies can be posted to the thread the OP started in Ideas & Suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom