1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SENTENCING POLL - People vs. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by Bill_in_PDX, Nov 26, 2002.

?

What Shall Stuck_as_a_Mac's Sentence Be?

Poll closed Nov 29, 2002.
  1. Suspension from the Demo Game

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Warning

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  3. No Punishment

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Abstain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Civanator

Civanator Deity

2. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

I would like to thank everyone who voted "warning" and kept me free. Now I just hope we can put this behind us and have a good Term 4.
    Ill be seeing you all in Rhineland.

3. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

and now you can be there for the its coming thing

4. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

:eek: He's getting away!!!
    Quick! Where's my spear...

5. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

Anyone up for another PI?

Stuck is guilty of a violation of the Code of Laws. As stated in Section H. 8. B, this poll should have been multiple choice.

I'm not calling a PI over this, but make sure you remember to make it multi-choice poll next time.

6. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Deity

Octavian, how is SaaM in violation because this poll isn't multiple choice? Last time I checked, Bill posted the poll, so unless you feel like PIing the Chief Justice (?) I don't think there's a problem here.

7. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

Oct: not my polling. Its Bills doing. If you feel like PIing one of the framers, go right on ahead.
    As a reiteration: not my doing

8. Cyc

Never mind, Octavian X. I'll explain it to them. Stuck was found to be in violation of the COL, Section B. This poll, according to Octavian violates COS Section H.8.B. He is not stating that Stuck is violating the poll standard, nor is he stating that he will PI Bill. Off to Rhineland with both of you.

9. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Deity

I might be mistaken, but it certainly sounds as though he's saying "SaaM is guilty of posting a messed up poll." Anyway, no harm, no foul.

10. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

I hate it when people misunderstand me. Then again, I could have been clearer. Bill is at fault, not SaaM. When posting this poll as Judge Advocate, he should have made it multi-choice.

11. Bill_in_PDX

Bill_in_PDX Grumpy Submariner

Chief Justice Notes

Two things.

One, Octavian, check the judicial log for where we all agreed on how to post the multi choice poll and it's interpretation. I believe you agreed with the majority view, which is to post them as they are here.

Two, SaaM, you are convicted of the PI, and your sentence is a official warning.

Bill
    Chief Justice

12. Falcon02

Falcon02 General

13. Cyc

Thanks Falc. I'll be sure and take my waddle iron :)

14. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

So, Stuck is goofy and fun...
    :hmm:

15. Almightyjosh

Almightyjosh Governor in Waiting

I 'wasted' my vote Stuck, just cos I like ya!
    plus it gives me an oppertunity to point out what a vote for 'no punishment' means when reading this poll. As I have said in the past, when several options of varying degrees from one extreme of an issue to the other one must not simply look for the option that gets the biggest votes, but on what side of any given degree the majority lies. Think of it like an automatic preferencing system.

In this case, there is a spectrum form no punishment through to suspention. If for instance the votes fell like this:
    Sus: 10
    Warn: 8
    No P: 6
    One would not read the poll as having gone to suspention, but strongly to warning. This is done simply by assessing each interval, not each option. How many voted for a suspention, 10, how many voted for a lesser penalty, 14. Thus a lesser penalty then a suspention would be in order. Then, how many voted for a warning (or higher), 18, and how many voted for a lesser penalty, 6. Clearly in this case, a warning would be in order.

Essentially, if this was not the case, one could offer several similar options and split a certain vote. This has consistantly happened without remedy as I think our COS and out poll reading is not sophisticated enough.

In the case of the poll at hand, it seems one option, warning, has won a simple majority of votes. However, if it comes to it, my lone 'no punishment' vote MUST be counted as a vote for lesser punishment than suspention in the fashion I have above indicated.

See SAaM, I didn't throw my vote away!

16. Ehecatl Atzin

Ehecatl Atzin Lore Master

Almightyjosh, quite an analysis on polls and their meaning, I'm impressed :)

EA