Sep 1 HOF Update

EMan

HOFer: Milk-Cow?
Supporter
NOT!............Nope.........Sorry folks it's not going to happen today! :sad:

I'm sorry if you were momentarily-excited and NOW you're disappointed! :eek:

It's been 2 months ago today that the last Update was performed!

Why should we have any expectations from a "FREE" site?

'Cos it's the BEST darn Civ site in the World, that's why!.........Many (or most) of the Web's top Civ players end up at CFC...........and just like with ainwood's team handling GOTM/CGOTM and the other Moderators and Thunderfall running this site to near-perfection, it's only "Human" to expect the HOF to have been updated by now!?

Let's face it, Aeson is an experienced Top-Notch player, Analyst, Communicator and all-around Wise Person (Not wiseguy).........and Yes, we ought to say:

"Hey Aeson, we know you have a "Real Life" away from CFC.....so just update the HOF when you get some spare time"..........BUT can we say that? NO, because Aeson is too smart NOT to find a way to get the job done!.......I for one would be happy to volunteer! (Subject to being able to submit MY games to HOF of course!.....Thanks superslug [see below] for the reminder!)

Oh well................Patience is a Virtue..........I've got about 10 games submitted to HOF..........and one of my kids has a few too. I told my son that Aeson updated the HOF at least once a month......he wants to know why it's been 2 months?......what do I tell him?

Anyway, ainwood visits HOF periodically and invited HOF players to play the GOTM/CGOTM......so while we're waiting I'm gonna take him up on his offer! :)

The people chosen should know all of Aeson's utilities, which is quite a task for itself.
Also, someone (like me) that posts HoF records should be disqualified (perhaps a few will be ok??)

I support your struggle for HoF independence!
I also support Aeson, and anyone volenteering.
Ofcourse, I won't do it! :mischief:

I would be more than happy to volunteer to help in any and every way I could, but hopefully if it were done in a way where I could continue competing. For those of you who have been around since the previous administration, you know by now that the only map size I compete on is Huge and I only play Milk runs. I would certainly not wish to be responsible for checking huge/milk games, but feel I could do all others.

Having said that, if a volunteer/staff member were to have to drop out of competition and not have it both ways.....I'd still do it, but only so long as I was staff/volunteer.

Folks, I would like to add that before we start an all out uprising, let's wait and see what Aeson has to say. His personal life is none of our business, but if his trip is just an extended vacation or some other private affair, it's completely possible things will be back to normal soon enough. Compared to the 'previous administration' things have been downright utopic since he took over.

Bottom line, it may have been two months since an update, but this place wouldn't have continued at all if it weren't for him in the first place.

Yes, an affair with the beach... :p

I simply do not have Civ III (or PtW/C3C). The CD's are in another state with my gaming computer. I also haven't been able to find a FTP program that I can install and run here. (I have pseudo-admin privileges on this computer... sometimes I can get things running and sometimes I can't :( )

The offers to help are appreciated. Right now, short of TF giving you the same access privileges I have, there isn't much you could do though. It requires FTP and MySQL access. If/When I get FTP working I can set up a web front (or just steal the GOTM's ;) ) so the submissions can be verified. I can still handle the MySQL and PHP end of things.

Aeson said:
If/When I get FTP working I can set up a web front (or just steal the GOTM's ;) ) so the submissions can be verified. I can still handle the MySQL and PHP end of things.

Aeson, since I work in support... let's get the data right and ordered -
1. Do you have an estimate on when you will be able to access your gaming computer?
A week? A month? A year? some range..? We all just like to know.
2. Is there some part of submission checking that you would still like to hand to someone? If so, what and who are your candidates? (plz don't say Bush and Jony boy! ;) )
3. You are not having an affair, but you are at the beach.
Will this end as summer does, or will you move to the other hemisphere?

Love, your support guy in Tel-Aviv.

Aeson said:
I also haven't been able to find a FTP program that I can install and run here. (I have pseudo-admin privileges on this computer... sometimes I can get things running and sometimes I can't :( )
Can you get around this by installing an FTP program to a CD or zip instead of the hard drive?

boogaboo said:
Aeson, since I work in support... let's get the data right and ordered -
1. Do you have an estimate on when you will be able to access your gaming computer?
A week? A month? A year? some range..? We all just like to know.

No timeframe.

2. Is there some part of submission checking that you would still like to hand to someone? If so, what and who are your candidates? (plz don't say Bush and Jony boy! ;) )

As Eman and Superslug have volunteered, once things are set up I'll let them open the submitted files and verify they unzip, and that the date, score, and victory condition are correctly entered.

3. You are not having an affair, but you are at the beach.
Will this end as summer does, or will you move to the other hemisphere?

It's just north of San Deigo. It's "summer" every day virtually the whole year round. ;)

Aeson said:
No timeframe.
Is this like "There is no spoon"?
Perhaps like "There is no HoF"??

Why can't you lie?!
Tell us there will be a 1st of October update, and then disappoint us!
You won't get any complaints for a month.. :mischief:

ainwood said:
lurker's comment: I guess I should warn me for spam now....
Thanks for volunteering yourself ainwood as Co-/Assistant Moderator of the HOF. :lol:

@Aeson: As you can see, there is a tremendous outpouring of Love for you and what you've done with the HOF.............we'll help wherever possible.....I'd even spring for the postage to ship your CD's and gaming computer to (North of?) La Jolla! :lol:

Aeson said:
As Eman and Superslug have volunteered, once things are set up I'll let them open the submitted files and verify they unzip, and that the date, score, and victory condition are correctly entered.
Just say the word!........boogaboo's listed too! :)

Yup, Life's A Beach........especially in San Diego! :)

Just hope you have my new high score for Monarch level... I, excited as any young kid with a new toy, have been waiting with anticipation to see my score in lights.... since early July...

Ozymandius

Is jumping a thread called "Sep 1 HOF Update" instead of creating one called "Oct 1 HOF Update" for the same reason considered spam?? :mischief:

Aeson, any word..? :cry:

This seemed like the appropriate thread to drop in and mention that despite my recent posting absence, I'm still playing HoF potential games everyday.

superslug said:
This seemed like the appropriate thread to drop in and mention that despite my recent posting absence, I'm still playing HoF potential games everyday.

Cool! :)

What level are you playing?

I've been floating between Monarch and Deity, but mostly it's been Monarch.

Perhaps this is the place to say that I'm playing almost always WC3 this week... so dont' expect much, at least until ... well , the update..

Top Bottom