1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

separate simultaneous build queues: Military Units & Buildings

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by iamliberal, Feb 17, 2018.

1. iamliberal

iamliberal Prince

I finally put my finger on a desired feature I have for the Civilization series of games. I think military unit construction and buildings/wonders/districts/settlers (everything else) should be two separate build queues. Cities should build military units simultaneously with buildings. So you wouldn't be choosing between constructing buildings vs military units at all. Constructed military buildings like barracks would still affect quality of military units, and civics and technologies would still affect types of military units available to build.

Often in games I feel like I never have enough military units to wage fun strategic wars. And ALWAYS technology advances so fast (even on slower game speeds) that by the time I get to building military units, they're outdated, this is especially true in the earlier eras.

2. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

I don't think that's a good idea. Having to choose between these things is what gives some basic depth to the construction system and forces you to focus on some things over others. As such, I think that you "feel like (you) never have enough military units to wage fun strategic wars" is actually a good thing. It means that you've focused on infrastructure, and not fully focused on your army. If you want bigger armies at a given time, make sure you can afford the additional units, and then build less infrastructure and pump out an army.

If you could do everything at once, it would just be a giant clickfest where everybody gets everything.

3. JamesFaith

JamesFaith Chieftain

Honestly, no.

It is core element of Civilization that you have to choose between building and waging war. Two separate produce queues would change Civilization in battle strategy.