1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] September Update Video Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Sep 14, 2020.

1. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

It's not arbitrary at all. Given the pattern in expacks of adding city-states specifically representing second string civs that the devs decided weren't going to be civs (Akkadia, Madagascar, Ireland, New Zealand, Babylon, Brunei, Belgium, Argentina, Missisippian, Wales, Andalusia, Mexico, Oman, Nazca, Kanem-Bornu, Rapa Nui, and now Taino, Muisca, Sikh Confederacy, Singapore, Nok, and Vatican City State), there was every reason to believe that city-states added as late as Gathering Storm had been dismissed as candidates.

The Maya gave us hope that maybe the Viking DLC city-states could be reconsidered, but it wasn't until Antioch was removed that we had any reason to believe that the state of the game's development anticipated having to replace Fez or any of the other city-states added in 2019. It was a wholly reasonable inference to believe that the devs would be adding city-states that would be least likely to need replacing.

False equivalency, Gaul and Eleanor had no Fez.

They weren't major gripes but there were plenty of volunteered opinions that, if Morocco returned, members on these boards wanted it to be led by a Berber.

Also, you're trying to paint me as someone who doesn't actually want Morocco? I would be happy with either Morocco or the Berbers.

It is so incredibly unlikely that, in vetting leaders for Assyria, the devs have not considered Shammuramat. It's basically willful ignorance to pretend otherwise.

And I really can't help you on the Shammalamma hatred if you simply haven't been paying attention on these boards. I got torn apart in the civ speculation thread for merely stating that I expected her to be under consideration because VI loves baity leader selections.

2. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

When Russia has "the Georgian spirit" lots of people die. :shifty:

3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

We still don't know that Antioch is 100% removed though, correct? I mean it's pretty plausible but next level trolling would be Venice doesn't appear until Pack 4. :crazyeye:

Well that would be a different unique infrastructure. :shifty:

4. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I don't understand the complaint about them being "too Arabic." Arabic "culture" is kind of a really huge (under-represented?) hunk of history.

8housesofelixir and pokiehl like this.
  5. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

That would be fun. :lol:

6. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

I don't disagree with this. I'm merely recounting what others have said over the years. Although as a general rule I think other parts of the Arabic world like the Maghreb and Swahili coast would absolutely benefit from incorporating native cultures into their design as well. And I think that holds true for every civ, particularly those in underrepresented regions of the world.

At this point I am taking whatever I can get. The Arabic and Indian spheres are so woefully underrepresented in VI, and I think a large part of that is that the devs are beholden to a fanbase that, as a whole, cannot unify behind more diverse representation but always seems content with more, increasingly trite European civs like Scotland and Gaul.

7. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Prince

We have discussed this topic a lot in the potential new civs thread several weeks ago. Although "several weeks ago" in that thread means that part of the discussion is hard to locate.

8. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

OK?

9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you thought that.

PhoenicianGold likes this.
  10. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Prince

Eh? I just mean it may take some time for you to locate that part of the discussion (if you want to take them as a reference), as it was deeply buried in other discussions - that thread is nearly 400 pages long. I don't have other things to imply in that reply. If you don't have time to locate them I can try to find the page number and @/DM you.

Edit: Oh I forgot we have a search window. @pokiehl, if you want to have reference/interested in it please check here.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Meluhhan and pokiehl like this.
  11. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

The Gauls are getting a unique Spaceport. The launch animation is a guy drinking a potion and punching the rocket into space.

12. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Just realized something. They might be very viable for a Science victory if they have the possibility of spies not being able to pillage their unique IZ if it acts like an Encampment, which is can't pillaged at all unless you take over the Encampment during war.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  13. Nerevatar

Nerevatar Warlord

To be fair, only the 2 most recent modes have that feeling. And I don't think it is inherently bad that some older ideas are revisited and refined.

14. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Prince

Earlier Great Engineer points can also lean towards a Science Victory direction.

15. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I definitely have some misgivings about how these game modes work. See here. But the “cutting room floor” aspect is totally fine by me.

Indeed, I think that’s one of the best things about the game modes - the option to add in mechanics to the game that might otherwise have not had broad appeal or weren’t necessarily fully balanced.

Like, I’m cool with a touch of vampires and Cthulhu, and very happy with tougher Dark Ages and more disasters. Others aren’t. Instead of having none of this in the game, or everyone forced to have these things in the game, the game let’s everyone get what they want (more or less).

And if nothing else, I like just seeing different takes on the same ideas.

The best thing about NFP and the game modes is how it opens up different options for how to play the game, and lets FXS be more Creative with mechanics and try stuff out without worrying about screwing up what’s already in the base game.

16. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Prince

I heard a lot of people saying "Well, at least thanks God that new leaders won't use reused animations and be fully animated, unlike Simon, LSS and Menelik" since we saw them doing stuff with a mop and cardboard to study body movements.

But I'll make you notice that Menelik, Simon and LSS only have idle animation that are recycled. Their main animations (agendas, greetings, war) are all newly animated features.

I think we will keep the trend: reused idle animations and the animators will only do more things for "unique" events. It will be exactly the same as the two previous xpacs.

And seeing the spear and the cardboard, I'll bet that Ambiorix (or whoever the Gaul's leader is) will have the same idle animations that Shaka (and the fanboy in myself would love some shirtless fanservice too, please :p )

17. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

The animations that we saw in the vid have already been used. The lanky guy with the spear and cardboard shield is basically the stand-in model for Shaka Zulu.

18. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Warlord

Celtic leaders and 'Noble Savages' in general are so often depicted shirtless but how true would that be? He'd be a King after all surely he should be wearing armour and clothing befitting the elite?

If it is Ambiorix would the savage alpha male even be a fitting depiction for him? His greatest feat, at least according to the Roman records is decieving the invaders into thinking the attacks were not his and convincing them a Germanic army was on the way so the Romans decided to move and walked straight into an ambush Ambiorix planned. Once things turned sour Ambiorix is nowhere to be found, no final last stand or defiant charge. He was outta there!

To me it paints a character who is more cunning than courageous and more brains than brawn. It would be great if Firaxis could design a character who steps away from the body builder barbarian trope.

19. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

Roman sources are giving us information that Celtic/Gaul warriors were fighting drunk. I would love their leader drink hard when declares war :) (They were fighting naked as well but maybe skip this part)

20. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

They might be lying though :p

Kimiimaro likes this.