Seriously frustrated with mod and custom civ compatibility

AntSou30

Chieftain
Hello,

Although I enjoyed some of the changes in CIV VI, at the moment the game feels incomplete compared to CIV V. I've therefore reinstalled the latter and thought this time around I'd use some mods (in the past I've pretty much only used Perfect World v3).

I thought I wouldn't need more than an hour or two to set the whole thing up. I've now been for six hours straight at it just reading about mods and their compatibility (or, which is more to the point, lack of it). Not only am I more confused than ever, it has almost put me off playing Civ V entirely.

Given that you're all civ players, I'd rather spare myself the frustration of attempting new games only to find issues half way through them. I would like some advice regarding solid mod and custom civ combinations which you have attempted without noticeable issues.

Here are some of the issues that I've found while trying to find decent mod and custom civ combinations:

- Community Patch on Steam referred to as 88 Beta. Not the same as the one on CivFanatics?
- Enlightenment Era mod page on CivFanatics says all 'relevant' civs in More Civs and JFD's civs are compatible. What does that even mean?
- It is not uncommon for certain custom civs to be listed as compatible with certain mods in Civfanatics, only for those same custom Civs to list different mod compatibilities in the steam workshop page;
- I suspect not all custom civs which do not list the Community Patch as compatible are necessarily incompatible with it;

Long story short, I hope I can rely on your years of experience as lab mice and spare myself the frustrations in game which you've already gone through.

I would like to try the Community Patch (AI improvement only), JFD's Expanded Exploration and/or Enlightenment Era, along with as many civs as can be made compatible with these, but it's not at all clear what works with what (e.g. 'Colonialist Legacies - Canadian Dominion' doesn't list Enlightenment Era as compatible. Does this mean that it is incompatible, or simply that compatibility wasn't tested?), or whether I should download it from the steam workshop or from somewhere else.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/community-patch-project.497/
The Community Patch is the core component of Vox Populi(VP), with new versions most often released and discussed here on civfanatics. VP is best viewed as an expansion and balance overhaul.
The How to Install thread is where to start. Check out the Mod Repository and the CBO compatibility thread for extra mods. There's Enlightenment Era for CBO which recently got an update in the mod repo, and some civs that were made compatible.

I wouldn't recommend too much beyond that. Vox Populi is hands down the best set of mods you can get for CiV. It's like an expansion pack, but it overhauls so much that you can't just take any random civ mod and dump it in your game.

But if you prefer the way JFD handles things, you can use the Community Patch alone and have extra modding space. His mods are built with the CP in mind.

Oh and unsub from the Workshop CP if you choose to use VP or want to stick to the latest updates.

Thanks, but I'd rather not play VP. I think there's still a lot to explore in Civ V, especially in regards to custom civs, and I'd rather implement small changes rather than go for an overhaul, especially since VP seems very demanding compatibility wise.

Top Bottom