Set new unit waypoint?

Kracked1

Chieftain
Forgive my ignorance/laziness, but is there any way to tell a city to send all produced units to a certain tile automatically? I find this would be useful when ramping up my army to go to battle. I would love to be able to set a "waypoint" for cities. I think one of the previous Civ titles might have supported this, no?

Naokaukodem said:
Click on the city name, then Shift-right-click on the point you want your units being sent automatically.

This has not worked for me, and as my empires get larger the micro-management of new units is really becoming a drag.

1. I left click on the city name on the map under the city. (it lights up)
2. I Shift-right click on another city (it gets a cute yellow circle around it).

I tested this many times on cities that crank out one unit per turn. Nada, zip, zilch. No routing. I still have to move the units manually, turn after turn. If I try re-setting the route, the original target city still has the yellow ring around it.

I uninstalled the game and the 1.52 patch. I deleted the folders in the Program directory and the my Documents directory that the uninstall program left. I cleaned the registry. Then I re-installed everything.

Same problem.

What am I doing wrong?

solops said:
This has not worked for me, and as my empires get larger the micro-management of new units is really becoming a drag.

2. I Shift-right click on another city (it gets a cute yellow circle around it).

I tested this many times on cities that crank out one unit per turn. Nada, zip, zilch. No routing. I still have to move the units manually, turn after turn. If I try re-setting the route, the original target city still has the yellow ring around it.

I uninstalled the game and the 1.52 patch. I deleted the folders in the Program directory and the my Documents directory that the uninstall program left. I cleaned the registry. Then I re-installed everything.

Same problem.

What am I doing wrong?

It's worked for me. Maybe you can't select another city as a destination point.

Possibly...I have not tried selecting a non-city destination. That would be an odd "feature". I'll give it a try.

solops said:

O'right...

I dunno... maybe it don't work when the rally point is a city? What if you click near the city and not just right on it?

It could just be the flakiness of the mouse controls. Maybe it's just me (and I have a Kensington trackball... and Kensington drivers have always been problematic), but I constantly have trouble getting the basic Alt-click to select all units. I need to randomly select a bunch of units sequentially to sorta "wake up" the mouse, and only then will Alt-click work for me. Sometimes that doesn't even work.

I haven't tried setting the waypoint as you mention in this thread, but I'll try it next time I play.

It's Ctrl-Shift-Right-click (Highlight the city or cities first, of course).

That would be why just shift-right-click is not working. :)

Wodan

Wodan said:
It's Ctrl-Shift-Right-click (Highlight the city or cities first, of course).

That would be why just shift-right-click is not working. :)

Wodan

Still does not work.

works very well for me.
you CAN select cities, as i have done it for planes.

It works for me to, with city or non-city destination. Does not seem to work for sea destinations of land units, or non-military units. Haven't tried sea destination of sea units. I think it works for city destination of air units (don't rememeber if I tried or not)

Yeah, the Ctrl+Shift+Right-Click does the trick form me. Thanks for the tips! This really helps me out when getting a major military campaign going.

Just shift + right click works for me. Works for land units (any tile), air units (city tile), never tried it with sea units.

Also, CTRL + clicking on a city selects cities on that continent. ALT + click selects all cities.

Question?

Assumming you get it to work. How do you turn it off.

I was playing a game over Xmas - before the current release. (can not remember what version that was)

I could set a rally point (using Shift - Right click [I think]), but could not turn it off.

So how do you do that.!! i.e. Turn it off:confused:

You CAN create a rally point to send newly created units from one city to another city. Click once on the creating city to highlight it, then Ctrl-shift-right-click on the destination tile (which CAN be a city).

To turn it off, highlight as before, then Ctrl-shift-right-click on itself.

Wodan

Wodan said:
You CAN create a rally point to send newly created units from one city to another city. Click once on the creating city to highlight it, then Ctrl-shift-right-click on the destination tile (which CAN be a city).

To turn it off, highlight as before, then Ctrl-shift-right-click on itself.

Wodan

So Ctrl-right-click is for cities or kinda? Fine, but what if it is a ganaral rally point? You can't click back on each city. I mean you can but well... *erm*...

Two ways to assign rally point destinations ... the simplest only works on non-city tiles.

Brilliant.

[edit: Funneling all cities onto a city tile still seems hit & miss for me. Bah.]

Top Bottom