[NFP] Setting the World on Fire.

Monthar

Deity
I started this over in the Chop thread, but decided it really needs it's own thread. Everything above the Tundra stuff is a copy/paste from that thread.

With the new Apocalypse Mode it's even better to save those chops until later, because now you can use Soothsayers to burn your forests and jungles to boost the yields on those tiles with additional food and production. The best part is the bonus "fertilized" yields are attached to the tile not the forest/jungle. Thus you can chop them later in the game for the high chop values and still have the fertilized yields from the early forest fires on those tiles. Then you can put down any improvement or even plant new forests for lumber mills and have some truly awesome tiles.

Here's a screenshot from a Kupe game where I set off forest fires almost as often as I could. Look at these awesome yields. Since these are old growth forests, I can still chop them for production then replant to keep Kupe's forest bonus going.
Spoiler :
20200529103455_1.jpg

Edit: I forgot to mention this before. Forest fires only destroy improvements on the forest/jungle and kill pop working the tile. They don't spread to districts nor destroy buildings like all the other disasters can. Thanks to bonus food yields your population will regrow fairly quickly.

Edit 2: Forest fires always kill pop in the city that own the tile, even if the citizens are not working the tile. It will kill as many pop as there are tiles burning, but will not kill the last pop.

I usually only buy about 3 or 4 of them and try to do so before the I start getting free ones from the Appease the Gods competitions. That's 600-1000 faith investment for large boost to my food and production. I save their last charge and park them next to the nearest active volcano as long as it's safe from barbs and enemy AIs. Then when the competition comes up, I build enough throw away units to win ,which adds a charge to all of the soothsayers I have plus gives a free one.

With all that extra food and production I can crank out settlers, builders and traders fairly quickly, thus don't need to spend faith buying them.

Then there is the level 4 promotion they get which puts enemy cities under siege just from parking the soothsayer next to the city center. Plus the level 5 promotion provides extra combat strength to adjacent units and stacks with Great General and Comandante General

Tundra forest fires are great. However, you can't start a forest fire in the tundra with your Soothsayers. If you try you'll get a blizzard instead. In order to get the forest fires in tundra you need one forest on a plains or grassland tile next to a forest on a tundra tile. Start the fire on the plains/grassland forest and it'll spread to the tundra forest.
Spoiler :
20200608173732_1.jpg
For this screenshot, I had to plant the vast majority of those forests, including removing some deer without forests just to be able to plant forests on their tiles.

In the Gran Columbia game, I bought a lot of extra Soothsayers, because I could afford to. Mind you, this is on prince, primarily so I could get the Great Bath. This is why I wanted the Great Bath.
Spoiler :
20200608175503_1.jpg

20200608175513_1.jpg

Last edited:
One important point about forest fires I forgot to mention is they only spread from forest to forest or jungle to jungle, and will not spread from forest to jungle or vise versa, nor to any tile that does not have a forest or jungle.

Top Bottom