1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Settle the Land -- Choosing a Site for your Capitol

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Skullsplitter, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

There was something I discovered about settling on a BG, I would have to look at the game though, it's not really significant, but it might make 1 turn difference.

EDIT: I remember, I had two cities, one on a BG and one not, and they both had the same shield. That means that you lose the bonus of one shield when you settle on one. I have noticed that wherever you settle a city, it gives it one shield if it doesn't already have one, so you can maximize production by reserving you're BG's to get worked. Basically, the same grassland city will have the same 2 shields no matter what type it is on. So you lose the opportunity at a 3 shield square once you get rails.

2. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

Spoonwood is closer (and undoubtedly knows the right answer). If you settle on a BG, you get the shield back when the city reaches size 7 (and a third one with rails). Until size seven, though, you lose the shield, which is why 1W is best.

3. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

You lose it pre-size 7. That's probably what you saw, and it's not a bug. Once your city hits size 7, you get the shield from that BG back. Pretty sure that once you learn Steam Power, it'll have 3 shields as I know that other railroaded BGs have 3 shields per turn.

4. Ceoladir

I'll check it today, and post back with a screenshot of a city on a BG and one not.

5. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

Strictly speaking towns on BGs (etc) don't lose any shields. It is just that towns on shieldless terrain get one shield for free in the CC, while the others don't.

6. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

Got another one, although I moved the Settler before remembering this thread, so you know where I moved to (the Worker stayed where I started, though). Would anyone have moved to another location?

I actually really like this start, although I'm a bit too close to the Romans for comfort on Monarch difficulty.

7. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

Either stay where you are or move one west. You have a potential four turn settler farm.

8. Ceoladir

I have noticed that on monarch you usually start really close to at least 1 civ, closer then emperor.

9. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

I'd park and play there.

10. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

Yeah, I settled where the Settler is in the screenshot. There's a source of Iron in the Mountains next to those Hills, there's some Silks to the South (second city nabbed them), there's some Dyes to the East (I have one, the Romans have another), Horses and Wines farther South ... and I'm working on building some Gallic Warriors :D The Romans don't seem to have Iron at this point.

11. Ceoladir

Ooh, post a save! :D

12. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

Behold my incompetence! I'm probably going to change Richborough to something else (Do I actually think I'll get the Pyramids built by hand on Monarch? *snort*). It is a Huge Pangaea, and it is set for 1000 turns (and I'll probably need most of them ...). Oh, and that Settler was going to found a city there, but the Romans got there first. He's on Auto-move up to the coast by Richborough right now.

13. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

You started on the wheat tile that you worker is now improving, right? Anyway, on such a map where you start so far up north and so far towards the east, I would always consider moving south/west in order to get little further away from the tundra/coast. But the prime consideration is getting away from the tundra.

14. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

Yep; if I weren't so far north I'd have moved 1 West, actually, to get the Hill into the Capital's working area, but I was worried about the Tundra. There is actually enough Grass just to the north that I fit a city that can work four or five Grasses, including the north-most Wheat, but most of my expansion has been south/east, as there's a mountain range just to the west with dry Plains on the other side.

15. Skullsplitter

Skullsplitter Chieftain

Reviving an old thread with a few new ones:

All are biggest size (Vanilla), 15 AI, 60%, Continent, Wet, Temperate, 5 Billion, Emperor

Oh, custom graphics. Flowers=BG, bison=cow, Pounder's(?) gems, spices.

#95-1
    amer01-1.jpg
    Is it really a good idea to move the worker? Or should he irrigate and road the cow and just have the settler move? In general, is the possible intel worth the 1 worker turn burned moving? (In retrospect, the scout probably should have gone NE.)

#95-2
    bab01-1.jpg
    Cross the river? Or stay put? For what its worth, its far enough north that the next city north may have tundra in its fat x.

#95-3
    bab02-1.jpg
    You can see gems in the mountains 2 tiles NE of the cow. From here, I see I can settle either 1 N of the cow or 1 SE of cow to grab the gems. Kind of a tricky one, at least as I read it...

#95-4
    bab03-1.jpg
    If I move 1S, then I can plant CxxC town on top of the spices. Is that the best move?

16. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

Moving the worker would be a very bad decision. Since this is Vanilla your worker is twice as fast as non-industrious workers and will take two turns to complete the irrigation. Two turns! This is important, because things will happen in this order:
    4000BC: Start Irrigation. Move settler to [...].
    3950BC: Found capital. Put laborer on the cow that is being improved. [...]
    3950BC Interturn: Worker finishes irrigation. Laborer in Washington reaps 4 food from the irrigated cow.​
    As you can see, because of the order in which things happen during the interturn, the laborer in Washington works an improved cow right from the start. And instead of gaining 3 food, you gain 4. With 4 food, Washington will grow to size 2 in 3750-3700.

This is kind of a peculiarity when you play Vanilla, you are industrious and you start on a cow or a wheat. Irrigate straight away.