1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Settlement - 3rd city

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game Revival: Citizens' started by DaveShack, Mar 22, 2009.

1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

We have enough information to consider 2 sites for our 3rd city. It will be many years before we are ready to settle it, and more information could come in before then, but here is what we know now.

There is incense in the hills to the northeast of Tara. Building a city near the incense and a road to it would give our people something nice to lift their spirits and make them happier. Having that city near a river would allow it to grow, and the hills would make it productive. If we want to build there, the main decision is on which side of the river.

On the side of the river closer to the incense, it would be possible to use one of the sources soon after the city is built, but there would be valuable farmland wasted in the gap between Moira and the new city. From that location the city would have access to both sources of incense.

On the side of river farther away, we would need to build culture to extend the borders of the new city far enough to reach the incense, and the 2nd source of incense would remain out of reach. Some hardy folk could build another future city in the tundra region to make use of it, or we could found a colony to use it for trade. There would be no land wasted between Moira and the new city, and the new city would be on the coast and built on a hill, both advantages for its eventual strength.

People of Hibernia, should we build on one of these sites? Or consider another after our warriors have explored more land?

Attached Files:

2. whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon Does anybody really know?

I prefer the spot on the hill. The incense can wait a few turns and the second one won't be needed for a long time

3. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I like the hill site better, though it doesn't put the incense in our borders. We could always build a temple in the new town to get that. More green, less tundra.

4. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

Of those 2 I prefer the darker pink site on the hill. It's also coastal.

5. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chieftain

I've always been partial to coastal cities. I like the darker pink (cerise?).

6. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I'm with the rest. The darker is better. :thumbsup:

7. Darkwish

Darkwish Chieftain

Definitely a coastal city.

8. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

What should we name her? Sheila? Maeve? That's about my only ideas for celtic femine names.

9. Zearo

Zearo Part Time Revolutionary

Not sheila, thats a bogan name in australia :lol:. Befor we had breyr, and imbolc suggested as names for other cities. I quite liked them. I will also suggest Aodh or Ager? Celtic sounding and kinder cool too.

10. malaywarrior

malaywarrior Chieftain

definitely the hill site! Maeve sounds good too...=D

11. Falcon02

Falcon02 General

Definately prefer the hill... better defense + ocean access.

12. Bowsling

Bowsling Chieftain

I vote for waiting to find more spots. as we have found tundra to the north, most likely our neighbors will be to the south. so we want to expand that way. next warrior should explore that way.

13. Furiey

That's a good point billybones, but this gives us somewhere to send a settler in the meantime rather than have him waiting around for a better spot. I certainly would want to reopen the discussion if we find some better land. I think due S may be coast, SW is our best bet.

14. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I forgot to upload the new screenie, oops...

The place to look is about 10 tiles to the SW. One of our exploring warriors has found that there is coast to the immediate south but off to the west it bends southward, thus we are on a peninsula. If that warrior (in the SW) goes W, SW it will reveal a spot which might be a good alternative for the upcoming 3rd city, though a little far away.

This site has enough potential we might want to request a quick 5 turn session to push the fog back before deciding on where to build our city. Unless a settler will take more than 10 turns in which case it doesn't matter and the decision can be pushed back.

15. Furiey

Thanks for the reminder! I forgot there was a session overnight, SW does look interesting.

16. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I have the warriors poised to pop those Goodie Huts. Exploration to the W/SW may have to wait a bit if we disturb an angry tribe. I'm protecting the cities, just in case. We really need a lux quickly. Tara would have rioted had I not given them an entertainer. We need to road out to that lux now and plant a city. Can't afford to spend a Worker on a colony out there.

17. Furiey

Looking at the new screenies there's still no food bonuses visible. That northern city will provide much needed lux, but doesn't look like we'll get a Settler anytime soon so we may still find something else.

18. Philadelphus

Philadelphus Chieftain

I like the hill site too, you never know when the ability to build ships may come in handy.