1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Settler cost bug? or feature?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by WastinTime, Nov 28, 2008.

1. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

I don't play many Future starts, and it's been a while since I did, so I don't know how new this is. The cost of a settler is normally 300 (marathon). I'm getting a cost of 1376 hammers for 1 settler!? It's 300 if I do an ancient start. Is this a new feature of future starts? That cost is a bit steep don't you think? Every other unit cost is normal. Anyone seen what I'm talking about?

2. pesgores

pesgores Deus Vult!

Yes, it happens with me too.

The Settler production cost increases significantly in the Modern Era.

3. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

It might be worth you mentioning it to Dresden or someone else involved with the Unofficial Patch. I'd expect it'll be a simple fix and they'll be happy to help you out.

4. Dresden

Dresden Emperor

It's not a bug -- it's intentional. If a settler founds a city on an ancient start, that city starts at pop 1 with no buildings. But if a settler founds a city on a modern start, the city starts at pop 4 with a free granary, aqueduct, lighthouse, harbor, forge, library, market, courthouse, and jail. All that extra stuff you get when founding a city is factored into the cost of the settler.

5. Ramesses

Ramesses Ruler. Visionary. Pimp.

Is that only if you have a Modern start, or does it take effect on earlier starts once you enter the Modern age?

6. WastinTime

Well that is definitely a new feature then. Anyone know when it was introduced?

I've also noticed that you get a free factory in the new cities. I'm pretty sure that's new.

7. WastinTime

double post

8. Dresden

Dresden Emperor

It's only for an actual Modern start (and there are similar bonuses for other starting eras -- the later the starting era, the more starting extras a city has and therefore the more a settler costs). If you are playing a game which started in the Ancient era and found a city in the modern era, you get nothing extra since you're still using the "cheap" settler to found it.

@WastinTime: No idea when this was introduced since I never play non-Ancient starts aside from an occasional test of some specific feature.

Note that the extra population for each era is defined by the <iFreePopulation> tag in CIV4EraInfos.xml and the buildings you get are from the <FreeStartEra> tag in CIV4BuildingInfos.xml. FWIW, Factories are actually a Future Era freebie, rather than Modern.