Settler difficulty question

Imnoob

Chieftain
Hello
I started a new game on settler difficulty and spawned next to 2 barbarian nests and 4 barbarian units. They start attacking me immediately, is that normal on this difficulty? one other thing, it seems you always start on jungle tile not other types. why is that?

Last edited:
This mod doesn't look noob friendly even on the lowest difficulty :(

If you don't feel comfortable with barbarians there should be an option in the advanced start called "chill barbarians" which you can turn on.
You shouldn't always spawn on jungle, though some civs have an innate bias for starting there (like Brazil, for example).

If you don't feel comfortable with barbarians there should be an option in the advanced start called "chill barbarians" which you can turn on.
You shouldn't always spawn on jungle, though some civs have an innate bias for starting there (like Brazil, for example).
Ah, I will try that thanks

Hello
I started a new game on settler difficulty and spawned next to 2 barbarian nests and 4 barbarian units. They start attacking me immediately, is that normal on this difficulty? one other thing, it seems you always start on jungle tile not other types. why is that?
They cannot enter your land during a long time in settler. Also, enable chill barbarians.
The main reason why we settler difficulty is not noob friendly is that since almost nobody plays it, it's been 1 year+ that we don't have any feedback on how is settler. This mods changed a lot in one year, and balance without feedback is impossible.
In short, if you have any other feedback, please help us.

I heard one player complaining that in Settler difficulty AI were too aggressive. Useless aggressive, since he could kill all the stuff AI threw at him. I smelled an over reaction of the player combat skills, but I can't prove it. (AI consider difficulty to evaluate human army strength, a player playing at settler is considered a pitiful general by the AI, so AI may think that the human army is too weak, when it's not). Should try one game myself. Maybe we should all try. Making mistakes as if we were completely roocky, too.

EDIT. I made a fast test in settler. There's high barb activity since the beginning. My pathfinder was stopped by 3 barb warriors in turn 5. Nothing I couldn't handle. Since they don't attack capital, there's plenty of time to make some units, and besides, it seems that my units deal more damage than usual. I understand that, for someone coming from vanilla, it's stressing.
About AI declaring war more often, I can't say if this is the case. I had only Arabia as neighbour and he declared war on me two times in classical. Admitedly, my army was 1/3 of supply.

Last edited:
Barb activity is very random.
The "protection" against barb attacks early is a bit bugged. Its very rare, but sometimes the protection dont work. One game I can remember, my capitol was attacked by 3 barbarians before turn 15.
In this case, go back to main menue and reload the mod and it should be fixed.

Top Bottom