difficulty-settler :eek:

map-pangea,small,temperate,low sea level,worldbuildered

normal game speed
no barbarians
no tribal villages
no espionage

opponents-1
all Victory conditions are disabled except domination

this is meant to be a rex-exercise inspired by vocum sineratio's rexercise challenge without the building infrastructure part.
map is heavily resource-ed and all tiles revealed so it is not meant to depict normal civ conditions. just for fun :p

your objective is to get to domination limit ASAP.

since map is small, domination is likely in BCs so YOUR SCORE IS YOUR DATE.
if you're going to play this, post your date along with the expansion strategy
have fun:goodjob:

edit: don't use this save

Attachments

• game.CivBeyondSwordSave
    29 KB · Views: 45
Sounds like a fun way to spend 10-20 minutes in the middle of the day if I get bored :)
Downloaded, will try tomorrow

2N is a god city :eek:

Seems like you switched off domination. I had about 80% of land under control at 1 AD. Settled some more. Pushed the button until I covered almost every tile except the 4 towns of the AI. Doesnt trigger.

2N is actually pretty sad. Little land and forest. Way at the edge. no luxury...

2N is actually pretty sad. Little land and forest. Way at the edge. no luxury...

9 land tiles(plus gold) and 5 seafoods and a flood plain. I think it is pretty good. Get up those seafoods and you have a settler pump.

With all tiles revealed, count them and determine the number of cities needed.

do workers/settlers strike? (ie do you need to pay any attention to economy?)

Seems like you switched off domination. I had about 80% of land under control at 1 AD. Settled some more. Pushed the button until I covered almost every tile except the 4 towns of the AI. Doesnt trigger.

oops that sucks. does anybody know how to re-enable it by editing save with notepad?

It's on Settler though so maintenance shouldn't be much of an issue. Like previously suggested, count the tiles and determine how many cities you need to hit the limit. After that, it's only a matter of deciding how many workers you need to get start on a good settler pump, then just push out the settlers until you cover the map. You shouldn't worry about strikes, because as long as the Settler is settled it can't strike.

Perhaps if there's a lot of interest in this, someone could make a harder version of it (ie, higher difficulty, non-creative leader, isolated, barbarians) somewhat similiar to the barbarian challenege we had not too long ago.

Don't get tricked by revealed map.

"opponent-1"!

There is an AI in the game

The save DOES have barbarians. It takes a lot of time before you see one on settler, but
a barb warrior razed a defenseless city in 600 BC or so.

I finished this game at around 1000bc by going for horse archer rush but the game didn't end. When I went for victory conditions it just says score and norhing under it. It seems that in this game there are no victory conditions :O
The map itself could have been better. I guess the biggest problem is the production as there are only two hills around your capital and one of them has gold or gems.

ok guys, i rolled another map

new start

if you're going to play ,do post your finish date and expansion startegy.
(edited OP)

new save

Attachments

• new game.CivBeyondSwordSave
    16.2 KB · Views: 46
Jesus Christ.

Look at that map.

I don't think it's easy to finish much before 1 AD.
I finished exactly 1 AD, or turn 115 on my 2nd try.

I started building a worker, and researching
AH for the pigs, wich should be improved first,
Myst for stonehenge, you need to build something while you grow, and it will help grabbing more terrain at the end.
Bronzeworking for chopping.
after that pottery and sailing.
Then I managed to grab the first 3 religions. (bit lucky here I suppose)
After that mathematics for better chopping, currency for building wealth at the end, and code of laws for running artists at the end.
That's all the tech you need, but I managed to found Taoism as well. This was probably
wrong because i did get in a strike with a some more settlers to finish, and some workers disappeared, so some chopping and roading was not done. Putting the slider at 0% earlier would
have prevented this.

You need only four cities with improvements. These can be founded with as much food resources and mines. The rest should be placed to get as much terrain as possible, disregarding all resources, rivers, deserts, tundra etc. While coastal cities with their immediate trade routes would be very nice, I found most cities 2 or 3 tiles from the coast to get as much land tiles as possible.
A golden age and a switch to caste to run artists is crucial.

Most cities can get a 3 tile culture radius, only the capital will get to a 4 tile radius.

Jesus Christ.

Look at that map.

While you need to hook up a few precious metals, to keep everyone and to keep your economy afloat long enough, I actually wished some of them were ordinary hill, because you get more production.
THe seafood is also not as good as it looks, because you have to settle coastal cities for them that will not cover many land tiles.

I don't think it's easy to finish much before 1 AD.
I finished exactly 1 AD, or turn 115 on my 2nd try.

I started building a worker, and researching
AH for the pigs, wich should be improved first,
Myst for stonehenge, you need to build something while you grow, and it will help grabbing more terrain at the end.
Bronzeworking for chopping.
after that pottery and sailing.
Then I managed to grab the first 3 religions. (bit lucky here I suppose)
After that mathematics for better chopping, currency for building wealth at the end, and code of laws for running artists at the end.
That's all the tech you need, but I managed to found Taoism as well. This was probably
wrong because i did get in a strike with a some more settlers to finish, and some workers disappeared, so some chopping and roading was not done. Putting the slider at 0% earlier would
have prevented this.

You need only four cities with improvements. These can be founded with as much food resources and mines. The rest should be placed to get as much terrain as possible, disregarding all resources, rivers, deserts, tundra etc. While coastal cities with their immediate trade routes would be very nice, I found most cities 2 or 3 tiles from the coast to get as much land tiles as possible.
A golden age and a switch to caste to run artists is crucial.

Most cities can get a 3 tile culture radius, only the capital will get to a 4 tile radius.

i don't think building stonehenge here will be a good idea.
and you only need bronze working and pottery or sailing+masonry(GLH). you can turn off research after that.
i won't go after religions considering i am creative.
i am sure winning by 600-700 bc is quite possible here.
BTW nice attempt

Top Bottom