Settler Lense

Carazycool

Warlord
Does anyone else find the automatic settler lense very annoying and distracting? There's much more to deciding city placement than fresh water alone. Also, it's very difficult to see which enemy units are where when the settler lense is on. I want to be able to see the regular map when moving my settler unit.

The settler lense should be an option and not a requirement when a settler unit is selected.

I just know where I'm settling before the settler is built let alone selected. Then just move him there ignoring the lenses. They are just active while he's selected anyway.

Very annoying indeed.
I always link my settler to a military unit. I work around the lens by selecting the linked unit instead of the settler. But it's the opposite of useful:crazyeye:

I just know where I'm settling before the settler is built let alone selected. Then just move him there ignoring the lenses. They are just active while he's selected anyway.

Trouble is when you're clicking to move him it can be hard to tell where the square you liked was! Or if there are baddies nearby.

The game seems to do a bad job of letting you know when baddies are nearby in general. Almost makes me pine for paranoid Civ5 workers that stopped when you killed a barb 3 tiles away.

Does anyone else find the automatic settler lense very annoying and distracting? There's much more to deciding city placement than fresh water alone. Also, it's very difficult to see which enemy units are where when the settler lense is on. I want to be able to see the regular map when moving my settler unit.

The settler lense should be an option and not a requirement when a settler unit is selected.
Yes, I agree, it is annoying. It's helpful as an option, but as a default setting it's very disruptive.

Settler lens doesn't bother me much. The religious one when a faith unit is active drives me absolutely nuts. I can't see through all that cruft, and it gives no meaningful information, other than the limited info from the wheel around the cities (when they exist). The colors do nothing but obscure terrain.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Settler lense. The most important thing it gives you is marking red terrain that can not be settled due to being close to other cities.

As for remaining fresh water info, it is useful. Areas with just coastal or no water are just much less productive. Heck, you would instantly hit growth limit with no fresh water at all.

Of course, you can take Aquaduct into account and settle a bit further from the water, if it gives some benefits. One thing missing here is effect of Mountains, since those can be used as fresh water source for Aquaducts.

Yes, both settler and religious automatic lenses are very annoying.

Extremely annoying. I have trouble looking over the resources on my spots due to that overlay. Its the opposite of helpful.

VERY annoying. I have been scrounging through xmls and other files seeing if I can mod it out. So far I have half of the tooltips delays modded to be reasonable, but this game's UI- UGH!
I actually like the UI on the whole! Just not that part.

I don't have an issue with it but I wish when you have a settler selected it would show you the initial city area when mousing over potential settling sites using the move to command. Kinda like how civ 4 worked in that regard.

Top Bottom