1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Settlers of Catan: Scenario/Mod Development Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Bob III, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Bob III

Bob III Lazy Roamer

Settlers of Catan for BtS v0.0

Out of production indefinitly.

2. Bob III

Bob III Lazy Roamer

Ok. After spending an estimated 4 hours trying to make a custom main menu screen, I have failed. I will work on it again later.

Now I'll try the map...

3. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Don't want to threadjack, but just a suggestion to represent the tile laying of Cataan, have each new settler found a city with a fixed culture width. Also have settler cost nothing, but be generated on a timer, rather than requiring typical Civ4 micromanagement of hammer/food gathering. That way it'd be like taking turn laying tiles of fixed size, the only difference being that tiles can be placed anywhere, and have potential to overlap.

Larger than 2 tile radius cities might look better, and encourage more unit tactics / battlefield, also.

4. Bob III

Bob III Lazy Roamer

Thank you for suggestions, but I've decided that a project this size (for the implementation of some of the features I'd like are more difficult than thought) is going to be out of reach for my coding ability. I'm going to be putting this off until further notice.

5. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

Well you're always welcome to help me with the Fractured States mod. :D

6. Bob III

Bob III Lazy Roamer

Ahhh, yes. But now I've picked something even I can do. A medieval mod. All I'm doing is changing the tech tree, standard start date, religions, civics, and unit makeability. =)

7. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

8. RelativePhysics

RelativePhysics Chieftain

Hi Bob, Some friends and I have recently taken on the challenge of creating a Settlers of Catan mod as well. I was hoping you could warn us of some of the the pitfalls you encountered and perhaps tell us about possible workarounds you cooked up. As it stands right now, it's almost like making an entirely new game, just using the civ engine, slightly more than a mod, but we hope to use as much of the existing architecture as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer