Settling a new city three tiles away?

gilbertlew

Chieftain
Regarding the minimum distance to settle a city is four tiles away from a city. However, I noticed the AI was able to settle an expo only three tiles away from a C/S. See before and after screenshots. Is this possible only for the AI and not the human player?

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Different landmass is an exception to 4 tile rule. Like in this case.

Yup like Sarin said, one tile islands count as different landmass.

All players can settle on different land masses in water even when they're one or two tiles of water away.

All players can settle on different land masses in water even when they're one or two tiles of water away.

Once again reddishrecue spews complete and utter nonsense all over the forum. No, you can not settle 1 or 2 tiles away from another city. Three is the closest.

This guy Spends all day spamming the board but knows absolutely nothing about the game. :crazyeye:

Knowledge plays a role too.

I'm pretty sure I had a game were I could found a city 'too close' to a city state as long as I didn't see it. Reloading a save I explored more efficiently and couldn't settle in the same spot because now I knew that it was too close. ..

Knowledge plays a role too.

I am more than pretty sure this is not correct.

I'm pretty sure I had a game were I could found a city 'too close' to a city state as long as I didn't see it. Reloading a save I explored more efficiently and couldn't settle in the same spot because now I knew that it was too close.

You can have a settler on a tile that looks fine to you, but the settle icon will be dimmed if there is an unknown city too close. If you can demonstrate something to the contrary, that news would be very interesting!

I am more than pretty sure this is not correct.

You can have a settler on a tile that looks fine to you, but the settle icon will be dimmed if there is an unknown city too close. If you can demonstrate something to the contrary, that news would be very interesting!

You are right. I could not reproduce the behaviour I remembered.

In hindsight I assume I was fooled by the exception for cities on different landmasses. The CS probably was on a close Island and I automatically assumed I cannot build near it. After reloading I explored a little differently and was surprised that I could settle so close (this time I had not uncovered the CS yet).

Thanks for clearing that up.

Once again reddishrecue spews complete and utter nonsense all over the forum. No, you can not settle 1 or 2 tiles away from another city. Three is the closest.

This guy Spends all day spamming the board but knows absolutely nothing about the game. :crazyeye:

You could if the tiles in between are water tiles. If they're land tiles, you can't settler 1 or 2 tiles away like you said.

The game is hardcoded to allow one to settle no closer than the distance of (MIN_CITY_RANGE + 1 = 4), defined in GlobalDefines.xml to a tile with a city,

OR

(MIN_CITY_RANGE = 3) if the city site is on a different landmass than the nearest city.

Unless he has modded the game you cannot settle 1 or 2 tiles next to another city.

:twitch:

The game is hardcoded to allow one to settle no closer than the distance of MIN_CITY_RANGE (defined in GlobalDefines.xml) to a tile with a city,

OR

(MIN_CITY_RANGE - 1) if the city site is on a different landmass than the nearest city.

Unless he has modded the game you cannot settle 1 or 2 tiles next to another city.

:nono:
Well, by that logic, couldn't he have easily edited the GlobalDefines to make MIN_CITY_RANGE = 2? Or does the DLL actually ignore what that value is and assume it's 4 anyway?
EDIT: And it turns out I didn't notice the "Unless he modded the game" part until after I posted. :p

^^THen how do you explain the screenshot in the OP?

Screenshot displays 2 cities with a distance of 3 tiles in between, and are on separate landmasses (islands count as a separate landmass as far as the game engine is concerned). We have already stipulated that the game allows the settlement of islands to be 1 tile less than the "normal" distance of 4.

I honestly don't know what that language is talking about but if a city is in a different landmass then it could BEbbuilt 3 spaces away like it shows in the screenshot.

Yes reddishrecue, if you took the time to read what people are saying, you may have noticed this point being repeated, over and over:

Cities can be placed up to (MIN_CITY_RANGE = 3) tiles away (equivalent to the integer 3 if you are playing on the most recent version of an unmodded game) if they are on the different landmasses, but cannot be placed 1 or 2 tiles apart, as your previous post so ignorantly claimed.

Yes reddishrecue, if you took the time to read what people are saying, you may have noticed this point being repeated, over and over:

Cities can be placed up to (MIN_CITY_RANGE - 1) tiles away (equivalent to the integer 3 if you are playing on the most recent version of an unmodded game) if they are on the different landmasses, but cannot be placed 1 or 2 tiles apart, as your previous post so ignorantly claimed.

Thank you for taking your time to read :).

No because i read most of your non machine language posts. Besides, that 1 or 2 tile land mass difference wasn't that ignorant like you said. I believe i must've seen a 1 tile of water separation between landmasses that caused an exception. If it doesn't, like you're so confidently saying then it doesn't because i don't have proof of such 1 or 2 tile landmass settlement difference. If you believe my arguments are ignorant then I'm sorry because I didn't believe that my arguments were that ignorant particularly when i believed I saw such an exception that I can no longer find.

I'm positive that in Vanilla I've seen City - Water - City on Island before.
But not in BNW, so I think it was changed to the current functionality either in BNW or a patch around BNW release.

I'm positive that in Vanilla I've seen City - Water - City on Island before.
But not in BNW, so I think it was changed to the current functionality either in BNW or a patch around BNW release.

I don't quite remember when it was changed either. I am however, assuming that the OP is referring to the game, as of the most recent patch and expansion.

Minor Clarification (I need more sleep -.-):

The GlobalDefines value for MIN_CITY_RANGE is actually set to 3, and the game engine will read it as "any tiles that are equal or less than this distance is rejected as a valid site for settlement".

The arguments/points on the game mechanic as debated previously still stands

- Minimum city site range of 4 if the nearest city is on the same landmass
- Minimum city site range of 3 if the nearest city is on a different landmass (i.e. an island).

(Previous posts have been edited to reflect this).

Adding to confusion, I think some are counting tiles between cities (usually 3, but 2 iff offshore) and some the tile count from one city to the next city (usually 4 but 3 iff offshore).

A little off-topic, but the only mod I have ever made is to GlobalDefines.xml where I changed MIN_CITY_RANGE from 3 to 4.

I cannot overstate how much more enjoyable that one little change makes the game for me! I was really resenting the way so many of the AIs will spam trash cities. The change does not block achievements, and there is some evidence (from the comments) that the developers had some aspirations to make the MIN_CITY_RANGE user selectable at setup from 3/4/5, but just never did. (Mods like Really Advance Setup (sp?) allow this, but they block achievements.) I hope I am not “cheating” by having done this...

Top Bottom