Settling Australia: 1788

I played through a version of this scenario that I tweaked myself and I managed to conquer the Aborigines after something like 300 turns or so.

My changes: I removed traits and bonus techs from the Aborigines. They have such a huge advantage of size, they don't need anyother help. Also I gave the English enough free techs to brings them up to the late Medieval Period, through Magnetism and Metallurgy, essentially. And I gave them enough starting money to pay for all those units for a few turns.

My strategy: I immediately founded cities on the rivers North and South of the starting city. My next city I founded to the West right in between the iron and saltpeter. I then built fortresses on each of the hills surrounding that city and put musketmen in them. Once I had a few small stacks of cannons, I was able to withstand the hordes of aborigines that eventually came down on me. I popped a Leader, got an army, and started razing their cities all around my enclave. I captured their capital because they had built a wonder, and then declared peace. From then on it was only a matter of time as I built cities in their ruins, built goodly amounts of cavalry and laid waste to the rest of their cities.

My comments: Obviously an impressive amount of work went into this so far, but it isn't really playable out of the box, as it were. Once the English have been given their free techs and enough money to pay for all those units, though, it can be played, and it is sort of fun playing pound the nasty savages.

My suggestions: The scenario does have a very narrow focus, though. I think it might be a neat idea to broaden the scope of the game beyond the historical. Why not let other of the European civilizations try to colonize Australia as well? You could replace all the non-European civilizations with Aboriginal super-tribes, divided up into alliances as I suggested before. Then just plop down the Europeans wherever you like, and see who comes out on top?
Pat

Just updated the map. It can be found Here.
I wont update the current link with the new map until I get this more ready for playing.

@It'sPat
Thanks for the feedback. :goodjob:
What level did you play it on?
I'm not sure about putting in other European civs, I will do one after this that has major Aboriginal tribes as seperate civs rather then as a single civ.
I like the changes that you made and I'll try to incorporate them into the finished version.

Thanks for being patient everyone. I'm tyring to get it out as soon as possible.

hehe, getting anywhere? I hope you'll have it ready for me when I get home, my friend. And say hi to Sandy :)

Ok I'm on holidays for the next 3 weeks so I will have this done by then.
Thanks for being patient everyone.

Update out soon.

Coolmore said:
I am just curious as to why there is an explorer and a worker in the middle of nowhere?

There a couple of European backpackers checking the place out... ;)

I've been too busy studying full time and working 2 jobs to finish this off, but as things slow down for me at the beginning of next year I will be able to get some time to finish it off and fix up those niggly little issues that need fixing.

hey this sounds good but I am going to wait until u are done to download......keep up the good work Sir Eric

Status Report
Now that I've finished studying for the year I can get back to completing this little baby and make it worth playing.

Thanks for being patient everyone. :)

Update

This is scenario is in the final stages of being completed. The end result should be out soon.

Thankyou. i dont know if anyone mentioned this. You should make the english have more techs to correspond with the time period. Also the convict unit should be a hostile barbarian throuought the map, instead of a worker. If you want me to do the civilopedia let me know.

Update

This is scenario is in the final stages of being completed. The end result should be out soon.

Another bump since you still sig it :p

Conquests version please?

:lol:

It never got to a point that I was happy with it for realeasing. It was taking too long to tweak it to a point where I was happy with it.

A BtS version has been lurking in the back of my mind for a while.... But I wont make any promises ;)

Release what you did, perhaps someone else will take the remaining work upon themselves.

Dont bastardise it with cIV!

I think Civ IV would enhance it, but that would also mean starting from scratch. Hence the reason it's never gone further than lurking in the back of my mind.

Ok. If you're keen for it. I'll give it some time next Saturday (the wife's busy all day so that'll be perfect) and see about putting it up here.

Top Bottom