Settling / Buying tiles too close

ZanThrax

Chieftain
Does anyone know what constitutes "too close" as far as pissing off the neighbours goes? I had thought it was about six tiles; close enough that the cities will eventually border each others usable hexes, but I had Spain get mouthy about an island city that was around 15 hexes from their nearest city tonight.

Secondly, is there any way to see who I've promised to stay away from & how long that promise has left?

If you are on the same map (planet) as the enemy, then you are too close ;)

No seriously, 15ish tiles might very well be too close. I think it also depends on the particular AIs personality. 10ish tiles probably is too close for everyone no matter how unwilling to go to war with you they are.

Since G&Ks there should be a notification as soon as you kept a promise or broke it at the beginning of a turn (or during the turn processing).

I've seen the notice, but with the number of notices that get spammed some turns, I'm sure that I've missed it sometimes as well. That's really the only way to know?

I think that there is a bug with cities overseas that pisses the AI off. Not totally sure though. I'm sure some will correct me if I'm wrong!

The AI is hypocritical, you are not allowed to settle near it, but it is allowed to settle near you.

Actually the AI will call you out for settling too close to them, when THEY settled a city next to you.

Protip: If you are at war (or already destroyed them), they will not bother you with how close your settlements are (were) :D

I really hate this mechanic in the game because it seems so wildly inconstant.

If they want to keep it in the game I suggest it be modified so that it gives you a specific tile distance and prompts you to confirm a settle order if your coming close to another Civ. Especially if you have already made an agreement with said Civ not to settle close to their cities.

Secondly, is there any way to see who I've promised to stay away from & how long that promise has left?

I don't know of any way to "see" the promises you make, but I think the promise is "kept" if you don't break it for 50 turns in a standard game. That is a long time! I think it's 50 turns for all promises (settling too close, buying tiles close, moving troops near borders, etc.).

Top Bottom