settling in a new Island

divivo

Chieftain
Hello,

I have been playing for a little while now, but I would still consider myself as a beginner.
Anyway I saw that the computer is able to settle on new island but I did not figure out how to do that myself, since it seems that I am not able to put settlers on a boat.
Any idea how to do that?

Also another thing I was wondering, what can I do with Gold except trading with other players. Can I buy science or accelerate the rate at which I find it?
In real life I know what I can do with gold ;) but dont have that much. In civilization I end up with so much gold I did not even know what to do with it.

Thank you for your insights.
Chris

For settling on new islands, you need at least Galleys (Sailing tech). Galleys can't navigate ocean square outside of your cultural border though, so in this case you would need at least Galleons (Astronomy) allowing you to settle wherever you like. You get Caravels earlier (Optics), but they can't carry Settlers. Most people use these to get the +1 ocean movement from circumnavigating the globe then general exploration or early transport of missionary units and explorers/scouts.

If you're running at 100% science and still have gold coming in, then you probably need to move up a level! Otherwise, use your gold to fund deficit research. In Universal Sufferage you can buy buildings for your cities instead of building them. As you say, you can use it to trade techs or as gifts. Sometimes it's good when you have loads of spare cash (sometimes I drop the research rate on purpose to gain money). You can then use your spare cash for mass upgrade of units when a new military tech comes in and you're thinking of going to war.

HTH.

When you say Gold, do you mean the Gold resource or actual money? If its the latter, then JesusOnEnz is right on the mark, if it's the resource, having one will put a happiness in all cities with a trade route to the gold, and yes, you can trade extras to the AI. I think the Jewelers corporation also uses gold to generate culture and cash.

Hello,

I have been playing for a little while now, but I would still consider myself as a beginner.
Anyway I saw that the computer is able to settle on new island but I did not figure out how to do that myself, since it seems that I am not able to put settlers on a boat.
Any idea how to do that?

Also another thing I was wondering, what can I do with Gold except trading with other players. Can I buy science or accelerate the rate at which I find it?
In real life I know what I can do with gold ;) but dont have that much. In civilization I end up with so much gold I did not even know what to do with it.

Thank you for your insights.
Chris

You need naval units that can transport military units (caravels will not do). Then you can load settlers (and garrison troops) and bring them to the island.

Top Bottom