SETUP.EXE just doesn't start up in XP

ultrix

Chieftain
I put the Civ2 cd in, tried to start setup... SETUP.EXE - no avail, the same applies to <cdrom>/CIV2/CIV2.EXE, CIVMAP.EXE, INSTALL*.EXE and in the WING folder the WinG setup. It just shows the hourglass cursor for a second or two and then returns normal like if there was nothing loaded.
I also tried to install the multiplayer edition, but its setup doesn't start up either.
Weirdest of all, even C&C: Red Alert install does the same! Does anyone have experience from old Windows programs not working on XP?

I need help, 'cos I looove Civ2.

Did you disable AutoRun as a security measure?

Did you install the updated Indeo drivers BEFORE starting Civ2 Install?

Is it an older system with an upgrade of XP? Any changes to the CD driver recently? Have you successfully installed anything via CD recently?

Hello everybody
I just tried to install CIV2, which I haven't been playing for months, on my "new" PC, but I have the some problem as the fellow above: Nothing happens when I start the Exe. Anyone got an idea, how to solve that problem?
I also can't install a patch, nor did downloading the dll work... :(
Greez
Skraggy

Edit:
My PC:
P4 2,8
Radeon 9700 Pro
2 x 512 MB PC3200 DDR Ram

Ooops, sorry guys, but I'v been wrong with the thread here. My problem is, that I can't start the Exe-File after installing CIV2... :mischief:

Well everything else seems to work fine, but things from the mid-90s like Red Alert install and Civ 2 (any executable: setup, civ2.exe, map editor, anything) just brings rundll.exe to 2% cpu usage and disappears. :(

... go figure, maybe i should buy a pentium 2 and install w98 on it :D

Top Bottom