several crashes during loading screen

TheGrouch91

Chieftain
Hey,

how much id like to play the mod because it looks freaking awesome i just cant seem to start it properly. (at least not always) Downloading, unzipping and starting the mod works fine BUT once i load a map the problems start.

There a quite a few possible crashes:

1. Game crashes while loading the graphics without any notification. Just a clean CTD.

2. Game crashes while loading the graphics and i get a game popup that tells me something about bad allocation. Whatever that means.

3. Game loads until the end and i can already see the game options popup. The map in the background is still black and i can still see the loading bar. (but it is full) And then crashes without any message.

4. Same as above but i get a windows message (not the civ style) that tells me to lower the graphic settings.

So after all that i thought okay, lets lower the graphic settings then. And yay it worked. Then after 80 turns or so the occasional CTD ingame happened (which im totally okay with) and i had to start again. Thought no problem, start aaand BAM. Problem nr. 1 again.

So i guess its a problem with my RAM? Because what else could it be. Do i really need a 64 bit system to run a mod for a 5+ year old game? And if so, could that please be added to the main mod page so people wont bother trying to get the mod to work with a 32 bit system. And if it works with 32 bit is there someone who knows how?

My PC: See attachement.

PS: Yes i know having 4gb with XP is silly.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    45.4 KB · Views: 54
The most important thing is to activate the 3GB switch. Civ4 is a 32 bit application so it cannot use more than 4GB of memory but 32bit Windows does not actually allow an application to have more than 2GB unless you activate that switch.

Even tho i did not want to mess with boot.ini and alike i changed it.

Didnt solve the problem...

I made a screenshot of the error message nr. 2. That happened when i actually made it in and tried to open the world builder. But its basically the same message that sometimes appears when loading the map.

Attachments

• Bild1.jpg
    Bild1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 79
If you have the 3GB switch, then now from what i am seeing, you have an older PC X32 bit, and you also NOW need to have VIEWPORTS enabled to run this HUGE mod, sorry. Viewports is made especially for older X32 bit PC's.

Well that helped alot. I seem to get through the loading screen everytime now. (except on the really massive maps) The world builder still crashes, which is sad cause i wanted to see the earth map, but thats not a huge issue.

Thanks for the quick response.

Well that helped alot. I seem to get through the loading screen everytime now. (except on the really massive maps) The world builder still crashes, which is sad cause i wanted to see the earth map, but thats not a huge issue.

Thanks for the quick response.

If you really want to see the map, another way is to enable Chipotle 'cheat' mode (search for 'chipotle' in CivFanatics) and use ctrl-Z

Okay, i give up. Looks like it didnt help at all. While i now get through the loading screen the game crashes left and right while playing.

And no my PC is not that old. I can run recent games on highest settings without any problems. But why is this mod crashing? Is it the engine that doesnt support so much content? I dont get it.

Really interesting work you guys have here and id love to play it but with so many bugs and crashes, no thanks.

E: So as stubborn as i am i of course gave not up. And i tried it again and checked the used memory every turn. And it was always at 1.4 gb. So it should have enough? Im totally confused. I hate it when i wanna try stuff and it doesnt work and i dont have any clue why.

I also get some REALLY weird graphic bugs sometimes. From missing unit graphics, to changing unit graphics (wanderer looks like a prophet all of a sudden) to the absolutely ridiculous grahpic glitch i posted as an attachment.

Attachments

• Bild2.jpg
    Bild2.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 76
C2C is really big so even if it can handle modern games it still may not be able to handle C2C.

When a changing unit graphics is part of the graphics engine, turn animations on to fix it. basically if animations are not on it only displays the correct graphics when the unit is doing something otherwise it displays the graphics of the unit that was used in the creation of the graphics for the unit.

Yeah its huge, okay. But that doesnt explain the fact that according to my task manager it "only" used 1.1 gb of memory. And i should have 3gb now?

Also just out of curiousity, how did that graphic bug happen that looks like... i dont know, like a freaking parallel universe?

Also just out of curiousity, how did that graphic bug happen that looks like... i dont know, like a freaking parallel universe?

We have no idea. Sometimes it is caused by something not working in the graphics but we removed all those that were causing problems on everyone's machines and are now left with the ones that only affect some machines some times. The standard archer unit caused problems on my machine but not on anyone else's:crazyeye:

Well I just got Windows 7 and that solved the problem so far.

So this thread can be ignored, unless you have tips for other users with similar issues. Thanks for your effort anyway.

Well well was too early to be happy. I get the black tiles problem now. Because installing a new OS wasnt enough to get the mod running haha. (im laughing but i could kill a kitten right now)

No just Windows 7 over XP. No hardware changes.

Well well was too early to be happy. I get the black tiles problem now. Because installing a new OS wasnt enough to get the mod running haha. (im laughing but i could kill a kitten right now)

No just Windows 7 over XP. No hardware changes.

See the black tile thread, look at the last 15 posts or so.

Yeah, i already read the whole thread. Your solution doesnt work for me. But changing graphic settings around did work. Actually i only enabled the high detail terrain and it worked again. Will see if it indeed fix it or if it was only a happy concidence when i close and start the game next time.

Man you really made me do alot of stuff...

Top Bottom