1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Several questions about several civilations

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by cypher132, Jun 12, 2009.

1. cypher132

cypher132 Chieftain

Hey, I've been gone for a while so I'm glad to back back. There's a few civs I just can't behind with their story and I was hoping you guy could tlel me what you know about them and fill me in on all this stuff.

I can't take the Chislev from Fall Further seriously for some reason. They remind me too much of the Native Americans from BTS. Can anyone give me some extra information on these guys?

The Khazad, too. I can understand wanted to spread your culture, but I don't see why I should want to get behind them. What's their history, what are their strengths, how do they fight?

I'm also perplexed by the Cualli and Mazatl. I can understand the Mazatl wanting to avoid armageddon, but I don't know what the Cualli want. Can anyone give me some information on these guys?

The Sidar. Who are they? What are their plans? Where do they fit into the whole picture? I only know they tried to assassinate Decius.

I'm also curious about the Lanun. I've never understood how can they be considered a major civilization. If someone could fill me in on how their government works, if they have one, and who calls the shots?

And finally the Kuriotates. I don't understand them. I can't get behind them. I've thought about playing them, but I've never seen the reason to. Can someone give me some history on them and other useful facts?

I know I asked for a lot here and you don't need to answer it all. It'd just be greatly appreciated if you could help me out. I'm trying to write some stories based off this stuff and I need a better idea of what the cultures were like.

2. xxHammerxx

xxHammerxx rage monkey

Khazad- money, dwarves, simple concept

but since you mentioned culture, maybe you mean Kuriotates? in that case ...

Kuriotates- a diverse confederation of metropili, also affiliated with the independent city states beyond the vast cities. Driven by a Dragon which is using the boy-king to build an empire to ultimately destroy the forces of evil ... the farther their cultural influence, the greater the influence the Dragon can weild among the people of erebus.

The Sidar had found the books of Laroth, and through the great mastery of spirit magicks he has learned, they learn in kind, and gain a sort of immortality as shades. they can still die from combat, but are otherwise immortal, kind of like the elves of Lotr, only they also are slightly discorporeal ... misty even. Especially the eldest of the Shades. As the Elohim are the keepers of lore, the Sidar are the keepers of knowledge and the hidden assasins of the night. However ... they are not the type to go out of their way to kill, but instead would use the mist to keep their realm hidden from the other races. The one exception was when Sandalphon ordered his assasins to kill all members of the undercouncil and overcouncil, of whom only Ethne was confirmed a kill and only Decius was confirmed a failure.

The Cualli basically sold their souls to Aeron, or some cold-blooded variant of Aeron. Anyways, their religion is now based upon the art of shadows and assasins, and they are forced to follow the ways of slaughter and conquest because they are enslaved by the god contractually, but most likely the stronger of them now enjoy the traditions.

The Lanun are a diverse and spread culture, only being linked by their reverence to the ship captains and pirate kings as opposed to the city governors, as well as a large following of the Octopus Overlords. Hannah the Irin is defacto religious and military leader due to thug rule, with her being the scariest pirate and scariest practicioner of the OO. Falamar meanwhile, is a charismatic captain that leads a small band of elite pirate ships. Technically they are only connected by their culture, and not used to being ruled, but Hannah the Irin terrifies them.

All I know of the Chislev is their hatred of the Orcs ... other than that they seem like a magical version of the native americans ... but how can u not take natives seriously?

3. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

The Khazad are a society of dwarves who only recently came back to the surface, as they were running out of room and supplies in their underground homes. Dwarves are said to have been created when Kilmorph, the goddess of the earth, the harvest, and honest hard work, granted the last request of the great artist Keldon Ki by breathing life into the statues he had made to keep him company in prison. (He had been imprisoned because the statue commissioned by a haughty king captured his essence too well, so that everyone was overcome by how arrogant he was. As thus was in the Age of Magic, this king may have been a recently corrupted Kylorin.) (I personally have some problems with this story, as it would seem to imply that dwarves do not have souls like the other races do, as they are not children of Nemed. I like to think that this story was an allegory and that they are really just humans who were changed by their closeness to Kilmorph the same way the Aifons and Elves were changed by their closeness to Danalin and Sucellus.) The Dwarves tunneled out of the prison after Keldon's death, and founded a civilization on the surface. The original dwarves were immortal (probably in the sense of not aging or growing weak, not being invulnerable), but dwarven lifespans have been shrinking with each generation and are now not much different than a human's. Unfortunately, humans frequently took advantage of the dwarves, stealing their hard earned wealth, sometimes by force and sometimes by trickery. The tribes of dwarves from around the deruptus mountains were the largest and strongest, and they eventually decided that they should have nothing to do with humans. They retreated into the Underhome, and are said to have not noticed the Age of Ice for generations. King Kanlore of the Khazad did not want his people to know the long winter was over, and when some ventured out he had them killed lest his people fall victim to mages again once Mulcarn was gone. In a story you can read in Kandros's pedia, we see hot Arcturus became the new king and exiled himself to the surface as punishment for killing his kin. The Khazad needed to go to the surface anyway, as their population had grown too large for their caverns and ther supplies were low.

While the dwarves do care about gold a lot, the God of Greed is seen as the most evil of all. Kilmorph is about earning your living, and any attempt to gain wealth unfairly is greatly frowned upon. Of course, that doesn't mean they aren't still greedy.

Kilmorph and Tali, while both neutral gods, and arch enemies. Tali, the patron of the Hippus, is a god of mischief and irresponsibility, the opposite of Kilmorph. As such, the Khazad and Hippus are arch enemies, and the Hippus constantly attack the dwarves to steal their wealth and sell them into slavery to the Balseraphs.

(Not all dwarves retreated to the earth like the Khazad did. Others founded the Empire of Kradh-Ke-zun, an advanced urban society of surface dwelling dwarves that used the dwarven mechanical skills and magic together to create a golem based society that was perhaps the greatest in Erebus. They continued to deal with humans, learned human languages, and learned how not to be tricked. They did not become bitter like their cousins did. Their golem armies were the best prepared to try to stop Mulcarn's entry into Erebus, but they failed. After this, the soft city dwellers had a hard time surviving, and most did not. Only one tribe of the open-skyers survived, and they did so by retreating into the earth as well. These are of course the Luchuirp.)

I don't really follow the FF civs very much, and can't say a lot about them. Frankly I tend to think they don't deserve mentioning outside their sub-forum.

The Sidar are a reclusive group of men who revere Arawn, the god of death who refuses to get involved in creation. Their leader Sandalphon somehow came across the books of Laroth, which Auric and Varn Gossam took with them when they left the Shadowed Vale. (This was a sunless pocket dimension connecting Erebus with the Netherworld. Laroth had imprisoned living elves with there long ago, but eventually they led a rebellion and escaped. Arak the Erkling was the leader of this rebellion, but he stayed behind in order to keep the gate open for the others to escape and to guard against Laroth seeking them out. He left his eldest son Haelrond Gossam in charge of these "Once-Elves", and had his other children like Varn Gossam be lesser princes. Sixteen years into the Age of Rebirth the young Auric Ulvin and a group of children from his home town of Brigidarrow wandered into the Shadowed Vale, about the same time as the Once-Elves most valued artifact taken from Laroth, the Heartstone, mysteriously went missing. Haerlond was going to have the kids executed as scapegoats, but Varn did not believe they were guilt and would not let them be punished. While Varn worked out a way to break them out, Talia Gossam taught Auric how to use his natural abilities in magic. Varn, Talia, and the children broke out of prison the night before the execution, and they happened to take the books with them. (I'm not sure why, but maybe these tomes contained a map out in addition to just spells.) When Haerlond had almost caught them, Auric reached for a faint source of mana and tried to channel it; this source was The Sun, and his casting of Blinding light destroyed the barrier between the shadowed vale and creation, blinding all Haelron'd troops and giving Varn a vision of Lugus asking him to be his priest as a reward for standing up for the innocent children. After this, Varn and Auric went there seperate ways, and somehow Sandalphon got a hold of the books of Laroth. He used it to become a Shade, and to show others how as well. This gave the Sidar immortality (but not invulnerability to mortal wounds), but also slowly sapped them of their vitality. The Sidar generally chose immortality to have a better chance of pursuing some passion, like art, but the slow loss of their soul saps them of all emotion and makes them mere creatures of habit. They are very reclusive, and don't like being spied upon. The fact that the Sidar blend in to the fog and are often hard to see helps. (Note that when the Sidar fade like this, from their perspective everyone else is fading away.) The Sidar don't like people who wage wars, as it seems like men are usurping the authority of Arawn when they devote themselves to killing others like that. The Sidar don't see a problem with using death to punish those who wield death themselves though. The Sidar believe they serve Arawn (although they realize he doesn't seem to care), and don't know that the waning ritual was designed to let Laroth take and use their souls for his purposes. They don't know Laroth exists, and they don't know that their use of The Netherblade against living heroes is helping his quest to usurp Arawn's precept and become a god.

As some point, Basium nearly destroyed the Sidar (since they wouldn't help him fight the Infernals, he assumed they were enemies), but he was stopped by his twin sister (the archangel of death), Gyra. I'm not sure if this is before or after Ethne built the Mercurian Gate. If Basium had made it into Erebus first but Gyra brought him back t the netherworld and kept him there until the gate was built, then perhaps they were afraid he would continue his war against them.

The Sidar's attempt to assassinate Os-Gabella was another failure, as the blade slit the true immortal's throat to no avail.

The Lanun have apparently been around longer than most civs, but never as a unified nation but as fairly autonomous captains. They were nominally part of Patria, but they were really vassals that ignored half their orders rather than part of the overall culture. The Lanun got along well wiht the Aifons, before their mysterious destruction, and had some trouble adjusting to the seas becoming wild when Danalin fell asleep. The Age of Ice was also quite hard.

Hannah is the surviving twin of an extremely talented Dreamer that was impregnated by a Cultist. She is the prophesied "Kraken of the Fields," basically a human formed monster or OO messiah that has come to extend the will of the overlords inland. (She reminds me a bit of Adria for SG-1.) She is fierce and cruel, and is obeyed without question because every Lanun that met her fears her. This is a people used to the greatest freedom, and they aren't sure how to react to his despot. She has amassed the largest and strongest fleet in history, but most her sailors would jump ship if they thought they could.

Falamar, on the other hand, is a very charismatic, kind, honorable, gentlemanly, hero who has no loyalties to the Overlords (he is not religious, but most of the religious men he knows do follow OO). The has quite the reputation as a ladies' man, but this is overrated. Women tend to throw themselves at him, but he doesn't pursue them nearly as much as they pursue him. He is loved by all his crew, and never has to threaten anything. He is of course a Pirate, but he makes sure to take care that no one gets hurt in his acts of piracy. He prefers to keep his victims alive and well so that they can return with more booty. He is a very generous and equitable man, and a joy to sail with. He was chosen by Condatis, the Archangel of Danalin, to save the world from Tabryn Arbandi so that she would have a chance to try to stop Hastur from corrupting her god's dreams, hopefully waking him and destroying the Overlords.

The Kuriotates are made of several peoples who historically did not get along, but were united under the rule of Cardith Lorda. Cardith is an Orphan whom the wandering mind of Eurabatres, The Golden One, the most powerful being any of the 21 gods ever created, has chosen as a vessel for his consciousness while on his quest to perform the rituals needed to restore his form. This boy was sensed to be without any taint. He is a great genius, and always very fair. Since merging with the dragon, the boy has not aged, but he has grown extremely wise. The nobles of the Kurioates don't trust each other, and they won't let any of their rivals try to found new cities. As such, all lands outside of the cities that existed when Cardith became Godking are left as settlements under Royal supervision. The Kuriotates have the largest metropoles n Erebus, but most of the land is quite rural or wild. This is the one land where demi-humans are given equal rights with man, and where these creature reciprocate by being civilized instead of acting like monsters. The have a caste system based on natural abilities of different species, but it is not proscriptive or oppressive.

4. cypher132

cypher132 Chieftain

You guys are always so fast. And I guess for old time's sake, what's the story behind the Illians and Doviello? I love playing the Doviello but never feel a real motivation behind it. I never play the Illians because I don't know what they want? Can anyone explain that stuff?

P.S. This thread could end up answering every question I've ever had. :lol:

5. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chieftain

Ascension of their leader, Auric (the same one MC mentioned in the Sidar backstory), to the post of God of Winter and return of Age of Ice.

Your usual northern barbarians. They were the Illian's vassals in the Age of Ice. Charadon is the classic Big Bad Wolf, while Mahala is more pragmatic and open to civilization. In the scenarios, which demonstrate one of the possible happenings after the Age of Ice, she sides with the Illians again, though.

6. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

While MC has said all that there is to be said about vanilla civs, I'll help out with the FF ones to the best of my abilities; FF civs aren't my specialty either.

AFAIK, the Chislev were an unremarkable tribe of humans until the Orcs came rampaging. To say that the Chislev didn't like that would be a massive understatment (see the Totem of the Old Enemy, which gives an Orc slaying bonus). They do have a very strong Native American current to them; I think they take more from a real-world culture than any other FfH or FF civ. Obviously, they aren't so much based off of any tribe (as far as I know, although I'm not an expert), but are a confederacy of tribes united by a common goal and leader. Aside from a hatred of orcs, a shamanistic theology (though one that would mesh nicely with FoL or RoK), respect for whoever the supreme chief is, and an intense military tradition, any two Chislev cities/tribes would have noticeably different cultures.

The Cualli are slave-driving conquerors. They want slaves, with which to build up their empire, and believe quite firmly that the strong have every right to oppress the weak. They're more civilized than the Doviello, but only because assassination is preferred to brawling when declaring who's the big boss; this comes from following Aeron instead of Camulos. But what it comes down to the end is a nation of bloodthirsty lizards who really enjoy asssassination, murder, slavery, and generally being bastards.

7. cypher132

cypher132 Chieftain

How about the Dural? I've thought about playing as them and all I could think of is "Why?"

Same with the Scions. What's their goal and where did they come from?

8. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Well, the Scions are the sevants of The Risen Emperor, and are mostly people from the age of magic (the reborns, at least) who use the Emeror's vast necromatic abilities to live eternally in comfort and decadence. The Scions also claim direct disendance from Patria, and are some of the most butifle beings in the world (throught body magic). Their military are modified with body magic to, but into total horror's insted.
    The Dural, are well, the Dural.

9. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

I'm not very clear on them either, but if the Amurites can be considered a civilization-sized magical college, the Dural are its mundane equivalent. Philosophers seeking the preservation and expansion of knowledge. They don't take religions too seriously, treating them more as philosophical schools of thoughts than religions as we know them. I'm not sure where their slightly hippie-ish city names (Crystalhollow? Really?) come from; they sound almost like (translated) human city names from Dwarf Fortress. I've always pictured them as being somewhat idealistic, tolerating, say, the Ashen Veil just as willingly as the Empyrean and seeing both as having merit. Their focus on academic-style excellence means they're also excellent craftsmen. They're more focused on beauty than the Khazad or Luchiurp; they'd rather be designing beautiful yet practical works of art, but they're capable of making damn good weapons when they put their minds to it.

10. cypher132

cypher132 Chieftain

Do they have any enemies, allies, or reasons to fight? They always seem like the civ that's just there to be there.

11. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

The brief 'pedia entry for Frozen Lands (the Ice III mage spell) talks about a war between the Dural and Illians, but they don't have any real nemeses. The Illians, slightly, since the Dural represent progress and the Illians, stasis. They'd oppose the Sheaim and Infernals, though the same can be said of anyone on Erebus who's not evil, nuts, or some combination of both. They'd get along splendidly with quite a few civs (the Grigori, Elohim, Amurites, Khazad, Luchiurp), but they've got no reason to fight, other then self-defense. I agree, the Dural need some flavor.
    Actually... you know, I think I'll start me up an RPing game as the Dural now...

12. cypher132

cypher132 Chieftain

What about the Austrin? What are they about?

13. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

They are people without roots. They call the wind their friend, they have the wind in their heads. They travel far and wide not to seek treasures or fame, but just to Travel.

They are highly focused on the Wind theme, and they somehow developed a central government in each city which totally nullifies maintance penalty from distance to palace... I believe they use some magic spell to send orders and messages with wind and birds, effectively ruling their cities on the opposite part of the continent.

14. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

Not magic. They're just such wandering types that sending orders and such is far easier. Lots of messengers, wanderers, adventurers, so you can grab one and say, "hey, you headed to this town? Yeah? Drop this off while you're there."

15. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

But why not with a wind? Messenger birds seem really fitting for them :). They even have a bird on their flag.

16. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Yes, but that's a Swallow. A 5 ounce bird can not carry a 5 pound Coc-Message canister without help.;). Or maybe it's a seagull.

P>S> Apologies to all for the bad humor. Couldnd't resist.

17. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Man-at-Arms

Don't you mean an African Swallow? Also they wouldn't have to carry the message in a canister, they could just wrap the message around one of the bird's legs.

18. Kael

Kael Chieftain

19. Elukka

Elukka Chieftain

What... is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

20. deanej

deanej Chieftain