File "CvEventManager". line 164, in handleEvent

File "CvSevoEventManager", Line 92, in onEnd PlayerTurn

File "Sevomod", Line 424 in on EndPlayerTurn

Attribute Error: Real Slavery instance has no attribute 'player slaves'

just thought you would want to know

;)
druade said:
jupla
not conquering with armoured divisions; isnt that kinda weird?
did patton not conquer half germany with his armoured division (im not for sure, but heard of such things). and how did they supress riots in the 1800's : with policemen with sabres on horses (=cavalry). no?

Tanks, specifically the shermans, were a key element in the American liberation of France and the subsequent invasion of Western Germany. While inferior to German armor in single combat and close-range situations like those encountered in the hedgerows of Normandy, the Shermans were much faster in the open fields once inland and became more than a match for the slower (albiet better armored and armed) panzers.

Nevertheless, if you do any in-depth reading on the major battles of the war (Normandy, France, the German invasion of Russia and the battles of Leningrad/Stalingrad, the capture of Berlin), etc, the importance of armored units cannot be underestimated, but the bottom line in the conqest/liberation of any city of any size required putting armed infantry units IN those cities to go street to street, house to house, to clear out the enemy. An exception, I suppose, would be cases wherein the Germans cleared out of a French city before being taken, but the AI rarely walks away from cities under siege in Civilization!

Pilotis said:
So we can capture cities with the above ? Yes ?

With all the units listed except IFV.

James009 said:
Realistically a tank cannot take a village. Only infantry would be able to secure all the buildings. Tanks are more of a support unit to infantry. Don't get me wrong, they kick ass in RL and such, but the tank crew isnt going to just get out and invade the city capital. This raises the importance of infantry to a more realistic setting.

Infantry has always been the bulk of a fighting force and I'm glad to see that Sevo understands their importance.

Thanks for the further info and explanation. Totally right about Patton & IKE; actually, Patton was often a little upset with IKE "Holding him back".

But you make another good point: tank crews and cavalry and the like are specially trained support/fast attack units; they aren't specifically trained for urban warfare and suppression.

Anyway, for the concerned among you--just try the mod. It's not that big a change...trust me on this one! Plus, the AI has to abide by those rules as well.

If it really bugs you guys that much I can make it an option, but I think I'm going to be moving combat farther in that direction in the future...:eek: Trust me on this one...it will make the game more interesting.

Or are you guys concerned b/c your gameplay strategy is totally dependent on cavalry stacks?...

yellowhorse said:
hey sevo i was playing a game and i got this this message that said:

Python Exception
Traceback (most recent call last)

File "CvEventInterface" Line 27, in onEvent

File "CvEventManager". line 164, in handleEvent

File "CvSevoEventManager", Line 92, in onEnd PlayerTurn

File "Sevomod", Line 424 in on EndPlayerTurn

Attribute Error: Real Slavery instance has no attribute 'player slaves'

just thought you would want to know

Ah, twizzle-sticks. Some code I was messing around with that got left in. Well, that's why we do this beta stuff. Thanks for the heads-up.

Sevo said:
the importance of armored units cannot be underestimated, but the bottom line in the conqest/liberation of any city of any size required putting armed infantry units IN those cities

I definitely agree... you can take a city with your mobile units, but you do not control a city until the ground troops arrive. Maintenance, communications, utilities, policing, supplies, infrastructure, medical, blah blah, etc. are all done once the ground support units are there...

Think of it this way, you could TAKE and HOLD a city with mobile units, but you could not RUN a city without ground units.

your welcome sevo always glad to help. This is just a great and awesome mod thanks for making such a great mod :goodjob:

Hi Sevo,
Great work with your mod....

Regarding the fact that you need infantry to capture a city.... If you want to trully make it realistic, why not trying to implement a chance of loosing your infantry unit ('cause of population resistance) when you try to invade a city (with no ennemi military unit in it) this factor with greatly depends on whether your are the agressor or if you are trying to re take one of your city... it could also depends on the civic (dictatorial or not) of the civilisation (either your ennemi's or your's.....)
I explain... imagine your playing the french and during the war you're in with england (this is just an example) your run under democracy when on the contrary england is under some civics that relates to dictatorial ones.... therefore... it could be easier for you to re capture your cities by using support from the population and it could be harder for england (your ennemy) to take your cities....
What do you guys think about this idea ??

La Frip
Long life to this mod.

Sevo said:
;)
Nevertheless, if you do any in-depth reading on the major battles of the war (Normandy, France, the German invasion of Russia and the battles of Leningrad/Stalingrad, the capture of Berlin), etc, the importance of armored units cannot be underestimated, but the bottom line in the conqest/liberation of any city of any size required putting armed infantry units IN those cities to go street to street, house to house, to clear out the enemy.

HOORAY!!! Yes, Sevo is correct.

In real life, tanks hate entering urban areas. Tanks are designed for speed and manuver. You can't do that down narrow streets and alleys. Tanks have very poor vision. The crew are limited to looking out narrow vision slits when buttoned up. This makes tanks extremely vulnerable to being snuck up on by a squad of soldiers who then chuck molotov cocktails or grenades in those vision slits, or put mines on the tank tracks. Check out Saving Private Ryan when the paratroopers disable the Tiger with "stickey bombs". Thats not just Hollywood, thats some real infantry tactics there.

In real battles for cities, the cities were blown to hell first. Massive piles of rubble everywhere blocked streets making it impossible for armoured vehicles to move, or put them in constant danger of throwing their tracks on a piece of rubble leaving them immobile and helpless.

Infantry on the otherhand can go anywhere in a city, destroyed or not, and clear out rooms, tunnels, sewars... all places where tanks can't go.

Mobile infantry should be able to take cities. Im still downloading this version, so don't know if they can or not, but the graphic in 2.9e was just a truck with some infantry. Motorised infantry road to the battle on trucks or armoured halftracks but then dismounted and fought on foot like regular infantry. The trucks/halftracks were just there so that they could keep up with the tanks, as Motorised Regiments were part of Armoured Divisions. Im not familiar with modernday Mechanised Infantry tactics, but I would hazard a guess and say that when attacking a city, such as in Iraq, the infantry would still dismount and fight on foot to clear rooms/buildings.

But hooray for some added realism. Civ deffinetly needs it. I look forwed to you trying to make naval and air combat more realistic, Sevo :goodjob:

Sevo said:
;)

If it really bugs you guys that much I can make it an option, but I think I'm going to be moving combat farther in that direction in the future...:eek: Trust me on this one...it will make the game more interesting.

Or are you guys concerned b/c your gameplay strategy is totally dependent on cavalry stacks?...

Sevo,

My only concern is how the AI reacts to this - I mean, I know the AI knows not to send in scouts to take enemy cities, but does it play well enough in modern times knowing that it needs a weak unit to take the city while the strong units attack? Really, I can playtest this and find out, which I plan on doing as soon as I finish the immensely fun 2.9E MP game I'm playing :)

An option would be nice, but again, if the AI uses this technique correctly in the modern age, I don't have a real concern.

-m.

Teensie little bug when you get around to the little stuff O' Mod-God Sevo. Ben Franklin spawns as a Statesman but is listed as an Engineer in the unit description and the UI announcement.

what about trying to balance the units outs....since talks about tanks and such not taking cities.....it might be tedious but that would make the mod a lot better:)

great mod though:goodjob:

Sevo said:
;)
Anyway, for the concerned among you--just try the mod. It's not that big a change...trust me on this one! Plus, the AI has to abide by those rules as well.

Sevo:

You are right. I should at least try this out before asking to change it back. It does indeed sound interesting now that I have thought about it more...

Thanks again for the mod :)

hey sevo!

well done first of all -this mod looks promissing -
you made me a difficult life on merging my 2uu to it...

i really like the scale option that you made - ..tiny, small, and normal

also - the text files are sorted very well.

thanks man.

im nearly finished the merge - just final touch :)

The mod looks interesting but I'm having an issue. When I load the mod, all the vanilla civs, Civlopedia, etc. appear. I obviously have something in the wrong place, but I can't figure out what. I've put the folder in the My Games/Civ4/mods folder, then moved it to the Program Files/Civ4/mods folder, but I still encounter the problem. Any suggestions/help would be highly appreciated.

EDIT 5/13: After scouring the thread for a similar situation I decided to try 7-Zip instead of WinRar. All is solved. The mod looks great!

For anyone who doesn't really like the change that lets only infantry capture cities can be easily changed. Just go to units-> unitinfos and change <bnocapture>1</bNoCapture> to <bNoCapture>0</bNoCapture>

Sevo,

Thanks for the update. It looks great.

A possible bug: On my machine, the Nguni text does not appear in the civopedia. Also, the Nguni do not have a unique unit, other than the darker hued settler, scout, and warrior varieties.

I think the Nguni impi warrior unique unit might conflict with the new darker-skinned but otherwise normal African warrior in CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml.
Spoiler :

Code:
			<Units>
				<Unit>
					<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_WARRIOR</UnitClassType>
					<UnitType>UNIT_NGUNI_IMPI</UnitType>
				</Unit>
				<Unit>
					<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_SETTLER</UnitClassType>
					<UnitType>UNIT_AFRICAN_SETTLER</UnitType>
				</Unit>
				<Unit>
					<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_WARRIOR</UnitClassType>
					<UnitType>UNIT_AFRICAN_WARRIOR</UnitType>
				</Unit>
				<Unit>
					<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_SCOUT</UnitClassType>
					<UnitType>UNIT_AFRICAN_SCOUT</UnitType>
				</Unit>
			</Units>

I think deleting the African warrior lines here should fix this. Hope this helps.

Hey Sevo, I LOVE your mod! It's about the only thing I play Civilization with now. Anyways, I noticed that with the newest version that I could not use horse archers to capture a city! Just wanted to report that bug.

that's not a glitch...

Top Bottom