1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sevomod Strategy

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by MT5678, Feb 26, 2007.

1. MT5678

MT5678 Chieftain

Hello.
    I was wondering how you could get a decent start strategy with resource ignorance. Its worth mentioning that you need Agriculture to see farm resources, and AH to see animal resources. I have a hard time planning out my tech paths, because of this.

I start as Hannibal, Aggressive/Financial, Fishing and Wheel, and I feel tempted to rush pottery. But then, I can't see animals or corn or anything.
    And I get into trouble generating production and food.

But if I go Animal Husbandry and Agriculture, I can't cottage spam, a strength of financial leaders.

What should I do?:confused:

More in a later post.

2. shadow2k

shadow2k Emperor

You can still see food resources...you just can't improve them. The only early resources you can't see would be Bronze, Iron, and Horses.

You could always get lucky and just manage to have settled near copper/horses before you knew where they were. But not being able to improve your bonus resources must really suck. I don't think I'd ever go that route.

Food and Hammers are so much more important to me that early on. I need to build so much. Settlers, Workers, Units, Barracks, Granaries, Libraries...cottages don't help with any of that. Once I have my basic infrastructure done, and my empire is about as big as it will get until war...that's when I start building cottages.

I think the only time I'd ever even consider an early Pottery would be if my capital was on flood plains. Even then though, I normally farm the first few to get settlers/workers out quicker, to grow faster, and to whip what I need first. I'll go back and cottage them later, once other cities can pick up the slack.

3. Naismith

Naismith Prince

I just played my first game using SevoMod. The resource ignorance thing really bothered me too. I looked around in the XML - I forget the name of the XML file, but there was a second version of it with "noignorance" or something like that in the file name. Replace the regular version of the file with the noignorance version, and voila, you can see the resources. In fact, you can change to the noignorance XML file and continue playing a game you started with the regular XML file. That's what I did.

By the way, I'm a confirmed cottage-spammer myself. But in my first game on SevoMod, I ended up going with a combination SE/CE economy, with an emphasis on SE. My basic impression was food is easier to come by, especially with +10 food from Grocer.