SGFN 03: Pax Americana

Looks like a good set, Overseer. I am taking a look now. I'm not sure I'll get to play today, but I hope so. If anyone has any comments, go ahead but I'm assuming my job is just to keep the conquest going. Our reputation means nothing at this point, so if I see an opportunity to get something useful for a meaningless peace, I'll take it.

Just a quick update to let you know that I have started my set. I'm only a turn and a half in, but I've already taken down three more Incan towns. I'm going about 5:1 in combat, but since we're over our unit support limit and heading for the end game, I've been taking greater risks than I otherwise might. I've only gotten one really stinky RNG result so far, knock on wood.

I should be able to finish out the set tonight, although each turn is taking a long time. Lots of units and lots of combats! I will try hard to finish, though, as it will get progressively more difficult for me to play as Thanksgiving approaches.

I may declare war on the Greeks (or rather, provoke them into declaring on us), depending on where the trouble spots are and what I think the gains are likely to be. Does anyone object to that in principle? It is possible I won't find it worth declaring, in which case it won't matter, but I just wanted to make sure the team didn't strongly object to doing that if it looked worth while.

I think you should just go for the wrap-up...anaxagoras :D

At this point in the game, worrying about our trade rep isn't worth bothering with. I think that the ethics of Civ 3 apply more for competition-oriented games such as the XOTM's and HOF than SG's. I recently avoided a ROP-rape out of my own sense of honor rather than any concern about how others feel. My rule of thumb is whether an ethical breech is necessary or not to advance the cause of victory. If you can still win without one, then don't.

At this stage of the game, I don't mind about our rep, so if it's not an exploit (and breaking the deal with the Greeks is not), do it if it speeds up our victory.

Speaking of victory being not so far off, do we want to start discussing SGFN-04, assuming that you guys want to do another? I think what we are doing here is a good thing, and it should continue. Would you rather discuss it here, or start a new thread? Lurkers are welcome to chime in also.

Speaking of victory being not so far off, do we want to start discussing SGFN-04, assuming that you guys want to do another? I think what we are doing here is a good thing, and it should continue.

I'm in. You'll have to start a new thread to announce the game, but it is fine to talk about it here first.

Hmmm. I'd do it if we do something interesting. Overseer, you've done 3 of these, can you think of any spins or interesting variants we could try?

Zero science games are fun. Zero science space race games are even more fun - but you almost HAVE to play on DG or higher to get the techs researched in time.

Zero science sounds interesting. We just did spaceship victory in Spain to the Stars, so I'm not that keen on doing that VC again so soon. Diplo, Histograph, 100KCulture and 20K haven't beeen done in this series. I'm involved in a 5CC game, so I've tasted that flavor, and have done AWE twice. Right now, I'm thinking of Zero science with Diplo VC and a traditionally Militaristic tribe. How about "Ragnar for Consul General"?

That sounds alright...

I won't be here for the next 5 days until Sunday (11/25/07)

I'm thinking of Zero science with Diplo VC and a traditionally Militaristic tribe. How about "Ragnar for Consul General"?

Interesting indeed. Doesn't zero science mean a lot of pointy stick research? So a lot of war (so militaristic is nice)? So a trashy rep? So Diplo VC is almost out? Or is it attitude rather than reputation that determines the UN votes?

Interesting indeed. Doesn't zero science mean a lot of pointy stick research? So a lot of war (so militaristic is nice)? So a trashy rep? So Diplo VC is almost out? Or is it attitude rather than reputation that determines the UN votes?

lurker's comment: While it may be partially pointy stick research, you are saving gold by not researching and can buy/steal techs from the other AIs.

An often-used technique for winning the UN vote is to declare war on your most likely opponent and ally all the other civs against him/her. Your allies will vote for you. :)

An often-used technique for winning the UN vote is to declare war on your most likely opponent and ally all the other civs against him/her. Your allies will vote for you. :)

Sounds like a good idea. :D Will this also work if you have a bad rep? That is, will they ally with you? Or does a bad rep just mean that the alliances are expensive?

How about "Ragnar for Consul General"?

Vikings are seafaring and militaristic. Wouldn't the Romans be better, commercial and militaristic, given the need to have a good cash position as gmaharriet points out?

I think TheOverseer was looking for a sort of humor in the title: i.e, Ragnar (being Militaristic,) is not someone you would expect to be UN Secretary General...am I right? or was I searching too hard :lol:

If the game is Emperor difficulty, I'd rather have the added challenge of the Vikings, with their less useful traits. Besides, Caesar was pretty much the original Consul General, so what fun is that?

I don't know if I've ever seen a zero science diplomatic win. It sounds like fun. And we don't need to trash our reputation to conduct pointy-stick research. We just have to conduct honorable wars.

As for the current game, I'm halfway through my set. It is slow going, since I've conducted (and documented) over 50 combats. The Incas are down to a 2CC (they will survive the current turn), and we are not yet at war with the Greeks. I am currently repositioning to their front, and expect to attack in a turn or two. We could well finish before 1000AD. I am hoping to finish the set this evening (I shuffled my usual schedule just to get it in).

If the game is Emperor difficulty, I'd rather have the added challenge of the Vikings, with their less useful traits. Besides, Caesar was pretty much the original Consul General, so what fun is that?

Point is, you can go for a civ that is completely unsuited for the variant and the VC, and this will likely teach you something about general game play since the civ's traits are irrelevant. OR you go for a civ that is tailored for the variant and the VC and you will probably learn something about how to put the civ's traits to good usage. I think I still have to learn things in both areas so I don't mind to much right now. "Ragnar for Consul General" certainly sounds good!

I don't know if I've ever seen a zero science diplomatic win. It sounds like fun. And we don't need to trash our reputation to conduct pointy-stick research. We just have to conduct honorable wars.

Zero science diplomatic it is as far as I'm concerned!

Hmmm. I'd do it if we do something interesting.

@Wandering Noob: you're not going to say that zero science diplomatic is not interessting, are you? :old:

As for the current game, I'm halfway through my set. It is slow going, since I've conducted (and documented) over 50 combats. The Incas are down to a 2CC (they will survive the current turn), and we are not yet at war with the Greeks. I am currently repositioning to their front, and expect to attack in a turn or two. We could well finish before 1000AD. I am hoping to finish the set this evening (I shuffled my usual schedule just to get it in).

Sounds good. Inca's a 2CC with 5 turns to go in your set!!! :beer:

Top Bottom