SGFN-07: The stars my destination

TheOverseer714

Overseer
I am preparing to restart my series for those who are interested in trying out an SG. The level will be DemiGod, the goal: win a Spaceship victory, hopefully with a decent score and at a relatively early date. We will want to have a fast research game, with some warfare, allowing expansion. All other details are to be determined as we get a team together. Our previous attempt was a failure, due to possible overconfidence and some general disinterest by team members. I'm thinking about why it failed, and I'm going to make things more favorable as far as settings and who we play as. I have a short list with the Ottomans at the top as far as tribe, and Standard continents with no barbarians, 70% water, 5 billion years warm/wet as my favored starting conditions. All is subject to change as we assemble a team and their feelings are taken into consideration. We also would like a large group of lurkers to chime in with advice and encouragement.

Starts I generated, first one has Greece, Babylon, Sumeria, Persia, Aztecs, Maya and France as opponents. B. through D. has Russia and the others.

Here is our starting roster:

1: TheOverseer714=>
2: ThinkTank=>
3: Racinante=>
4: TheRat=>
5: Elear=>
6: jeffred111=>
7: Calis=>
8: krakedhalo=>

I certainly would like to join, but since I just got C3C, I've never played Demi-God and my attemps at Vanilla Deity were not stellar. Let's just say that I'm not very confident, but I'll try a game on this level just to get the feel of it if I'm picked.

Welcome aboard jeffred! You'll do fine. In the other thread, I mentioned quick games to get a feel for Conquests. Try the Iroquois on a Tiny Pangaea, you might get a BC finish. Don't build wonders, capture them. Especially the new ones, ToA gives free temples and the Statue of Zeus build Ancient Cavalry, an ancient era gamebreaker. Think of Gallic Swords with an extra hitpoint.

Interestingly enough in my 1220 Standard Deity finish I built The Museum of Mausollos, The Great Library, Cope's, Newton's, and later wonders all in my capital. Tourist attractions can help with research... if it doesn't hamper your expansion.

sounds interesting...but maybe you got enough other people joining in?

I'll play or lurk, whichever seems more appropriate. :dunno: I like playing with you though; I'll never forget the old Rat EmpAW game we did, as well as that horrific Deity game. :king:

edit: And if we found Elephantium maybe it would be some sort of old-time group revival

lurker's comment: As usual, I've too little time in my life for SGs right now, but I'll happily lurk this one.

jeffred1111, since you just got C3C, I'd suggest getting Civ Assist II or MapStat, if you don't already have them. (Well, that link actually says CRpSuite, but IIRC, MapStat is in that bundle of utilities.) These are both very handy utilities for playing. They'll help you monitor everything from happiness to culture to trade options. I use CA2, but MapStat is also very popular.

Looks like we're getting a big team, great!

I'm fine with the settings suggested by Overseer: Ottomans, and Standard continents with no barbarians, 70% water, 5 billion years warm/wet.

I like the interest, proves there is still life in this forum. As far as I'm concerned, everyone who has posted is welcome to join in whatever capacity. To allow for RL, having a large roster can make sure the game pace keeps going. I will get some starts rolled today, so any input on settings, etc. is welcome. Right now, I am thinking continents for the whole "trading inequities, monopoly tech trading, suicide curragh/galleys gambit". I usually do random opponents, but in this case I may try to load in Scientific tribes to allow gifting up strategies to be in play. I think 4 Sci tribes along with Ind and Agri and maybe Com should give a good "almost random" feel to the game. Anyone object to our tribe being the Ottomans? I think it is a decent Sci tribe without being overpowered or overplayed. Settings, I prefer warm/wet, 4 or 5 billion years, 70% water, maybe with a high domination limit. So that gives you all what I'm thinking....any suggestions, ideas, comments, etc. are welcome. Here is a proposed lineup.
1. Me
2. ThinkTank
3. Racinante
4. TheRat
5. Elear
6. Jeffred
7. Calis

The order can be switched and I guarantee that there will be skips and swaps. I put jeffred low in the order to let him play some games to get his feet wet, he is new to Conquests. I personally think in most ways, Conquests is better but not hugely different. It shouldn't be a huge jump.

Do you plan the minimum number of opponents (4) for a HOF game, or the maximum to get the best out of the "great picture"??

If we plan to make a safe Republic sling shot, I would not chose the Greeks, the Byzantines, or the Koreans as they would get a headstart with Alphabet of course...

That leaves Germany, Sumeria, Russia, Persia, Babylon (unless you do an attempt at a CB SGL)...

We'll do the full 7 to keep it more of a typical game. With TheRat and the rest of our crew here, there may only be 4 opponents left before it is all said and done. War is definitely going to be a factor in this, as will fast research, gifting up, big picture trading, etc. I had Greece as a player in my first roll, which is a gorgeous 2 Cows on a river. If I find anything better, it will not include Greece.

Good call on making me bat at the bottom of the roster, this way I'll be able to get some more experience with the expansion features.

I'm also okay with the proposed settings/tribes. I've yet to play a Scientific tribe for real (99% of my games are pointy stick/strict brokering/stealing oriented) so this will make a nice fresh challenge. Plus we'll have Sipahis if we need to "borrow" ressources from our amicable neighbours or slow them down a tiny bit.

The Ottomans, some thoughts.

1. Means we don't have alphabet at the start. That reduces the cance of getting the Republic slingshot. Literature slingshot may still be on.

2. Presumably, GA will not be Wonder induced, but military by Sipahi. That's mid MA or later. I suppose for a research game that's fine. I normally prefer my GA early MA.

I'm not sure if any of this is an issue. But I think on DG we want the flexibility of trading for tech and self researching. That sort of implies a strong economy, so Republic, so not having the slingshot is less than ideal.

Then on the other hand, how realistic is it to assume you can get the slingshot on DG anyway? I'm afraid I don't have too much DG experience yet. Anyone around whocan estimate the likeliness?

It's very well possible to get the slingshot on DG.

I played a game as the Celts and started with tribes not having Alphabet at the beginning and got the slingshot to Republic eventually...

Top Bottom