SGFN-08: Random AWM Succession Game

TheOverseer714

Overseer
I am starting this SG to give some of the newer forum members a chance to try their hand at an SG that is challenging but not overwhelming. Therefore, I am beginning SGFN-08 to give them a a shot. While not strictly a Training Day game, this is meant for those who are new to actually playing a Succession Game or new to Always War
games (AW: Must declare war as soon as we have contact with no trades, but we can look at our opponents, their techs, etc.). I haven't decided yet whether it will be open to uncomitted players, that depends on the interest level. I hope that the many better and more experienced players will give our players their advice, as I am defintely not an expert at AW or Civ3. On the first roll, I got this fairly decent start as Germany:

So if you are interested in playing, post and I will add you in.

General rules:

Rule #1 of SGFN08: We're all friends here. We will learn as much from our mistakes as from our successes. Criticism of your turnset or questioning your decisions is not a personal attack. Don't use it as one, don't take it as one. This is also a Democracy, any major decisions like what techs we pursue, when to begin a major offensive, what wonders to build or when to begin a major offensive should be voted on by the team This is not to say that you have no say so, on the contrary. What powers you do have are mostly the same as solo games, just nothing that will turn us onto a damaging path that the rest of the team would not agree to. Use your common sense.

Rule #2: Detailed logs. We can't spot mistakes unless we can see what's been done. Granted, we can't all be CommandoBob, but the whole team needs to be able to make sense of your turnset. (NOTE: CB, you've become famous for your logs. )

Rule #3: There are no stupid questions. If you're in the middle of your turnset and either: (a) realize that you're in over your head; or (b) have hit a crossroads that needs a group decision, stop and ask. Discussion is greatly encouraged.

Rule #4: When in doubt on cheats, exploits or bugs, consult. If you can find someone online to ask, great. In the absence of that, I like to use GOTM rules as a guide. They are always accessible, even if no other team members are online. If they need modification or if we decide not to use one of those rules, I'll put it in the informational post once a decision has been reached. GOTM rules can be found here: http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/rules.php

Rule #5: No worker automation, ever, and limit the use of go-to orders to situations that are detailed in the notes to the save. It is really annoying to press enter on the first turn of a set and have little figures scampering all over the landscape. It is even more annoying to chase them down and turn them off.

Rule #6: No reloading, no playing ahead or playing alternate turns. It is aceptable to replay as close to what you did before if technical issues destroy the save.

Rule #7: Have fun. I hope everyone enjoys this one and learns lots.

Specific rules:

This is Always War, which means no peace, ever. We may talk to our opponents, but only for information. NO trades. EVER. We must declare war if diplomatic contact is made before the turn ends. Turnsets will be 10 turns after the first 20.

Roster:
1: Overseer
2: GamezRule
3: Lanzelot
4: Splunge
5: Sparthage
6: DWetzel

World Settings:
Continents, 60% water, Normal Rainfall, Temperate Climate, 5 billion years old, no barbs, normal aggression.

The only settings that weren't random were no barbs and a standard sized map. I haven't cheated by looking at Civ Assist 2 yet to find out the rest, i prefer a surprise.

I hope you find that is ocean back there to cut off one avenue of attack for a time. Germany should be a solid AWM civ. I don't think I ever used them in an AW game, but with my memory...

You get the archer and spear techs, very useful. Only big draw back is you cannot kick off a GA, if you need one. I think that is often a big deal in AW games. Maybe not with only 7 civs, unless they should early.

I hope you find that is ocean back there to cut off one avenue of attack for a time. Germany should be a solid AWM civ. I don't think I ever used them in an AW game, but with my memory...

You get the archer and spear techs, very useful. Only big draw back is you cannot kick off a GA, if you need one. I think that is often a big deal in AW games. Maybe not with only 7 civs, unless they should early.

It's not ideal, but the Great Library + a militaristic wonder would kick off the GA nicely. Knights Templar would be a pretty sexy time for the GA, if it can be pulled off.

(This is my subscription post, too, whee!) :mischief:

I probably don't qualify for the player list, but I've been considering starting up an AWM game for not-quite-ready-for-prime-time always war types, so I'll look on with interest.

never done an SG before, but i will give it a go ;)

It's great to see a new SG running :goodjob:
I will be lurking and good luck with this one

lurker's comment: All signed in and ready to read :lol:

actually i have never done AW either :lol:

Only big draw back is you cannot kick off a GA, if you need one..

It's not ideal, but the Great Library + a militaristic wonder would kick off the GA nicely. Knights Templar would be a pretty sexy time for the GA, if it can be pulled off.

lurker's comment:

Remember that a GA can be initiated by capturing two requisite Wonders, then building any other.

What are the play time rules for a game like this? Every 48 hours or more relaxed?

I'm VERY interested and have always wanted to play a SG but never had the time nor always had the game itself. I've also never played an always war game.

Originally Posted by vmxa
Only big draw back is you cannot kick off a GA, if you need one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWetzel

"Bucephalus

Remember that a GA can be initiated by capturing two requisite Wonders, then building any other."

My point is that without a very early UU, you cannot go to a GA on say turn 45 to survive, should you need to do that. Odds are that will not be the case here anyway.

You have archers and spears to start and most civs will have neither and could be in a bind.

My point is that without a very early UU, you cannot go to a GA on say turn 45 to survive, should you need to do that. Odds are that will not be the case here anyway.

But isn't it true that with an early UU you won't have much choice over when a GA is triggered anyway, since they are all replacements for something else?

I think the ideal will be 48 hours to get the save, then 48 to play, but that won't be strict because Civ 3 is now a "weekend warrior" thing, I know my lifestyle makes weekends the best time to play.
DWetzel, you can join in too, I need a co-anchor/cleanup hitte to help run things. A proposed lineup could be like this:
1: TheOverseer714
2: Gamerules
3: Mike Hussey
4: DWetzel
6: unfilled
That way, a more experienced player can always get things back in shape if things get off-kilter.

I think the ideal will be 48 hours to get the save, then 48 to play, but that won't be strict because Civ 3 is now a "weekend warrior" thing, I know my lifestyle makes weekends the best time to play.
DWetzel, you can join in too, I need a co-anchor/cleanup hitte to help run things. A proposed lineup could be like this:
That way, a more experienced player can always get things back in shape if things get off-kilter.

It's Gamezrule. ;)

Anyway, what level are we playing on.

Looks like you guys have a good team going. I wouldn't mind helping out if you guys felt short-handed though. Looking forward to following your efforts at any rate.

That coastal line is nice and the archer/spear techs, cheap barracks/walls. The map might still hold a few nasty surprises though, like no food bonusses. :)

Hello fellaz, I told ya I won't be here @ weekend and that I definately would like to attend in this AW SG variant.

OverSeer you think there is another room for me here ?

Okie-Dokie.

Top Bottom