SGFN-09: Constantinople stands alone!

10, and hell no to the granary. Colossus next after the temple. Basically, from now until roughly the late middle ages, if it ain't culture, we ain't building it in our capital.

So you guys are going for the OBC 20k?

So you guys are going for the OBC 20k?

Not necessarily -- SoZ, conquer a city, and build a settler from there... but I like your way better. :)

(We can discuss cranking out a settler at size 10+ I guess. I wouldn't until then.)

No to building settlers, but capturing towns is kosher.

Once we get to size 12, if we are wasting food, we can probably pop a worker between wonders, so we still grow in 1 turn, and store up some food. That would also allow for fast growth once we get Shakespeare's theater.

Once we get to size 12, if we are wasting food, we can probably pop a worker between wonders, so we still grow in 1 turn, and store up some food. That would also allow for fast growth once we get Shakespeare's theater.

In theory yes, but there are two fairly major hindrances to this:

1. Early on, the problem is unit support. With two workers, two warriors, and one curragh, we're already paying it. And with relatively few prospects for other cities soon, that isn't going to change. (It'll actually get worse in Republic, sadly.)

2. Spending a turn on a worker now for a pop point much later pretty much has to work out badly in terms of generating total culture. We'd basically be delaying every wonder and item we build for the rest of the game by one turn.

edit to add: All of which means, we'll be wasting food for a while. Once we get Engineering, we will eventually have no surplus food for a while (and then we will again after Shakespeares when we chop the forests down)

If you guys don't shut off research with the Great Library, a diplomatic victory is probably faster than a 20k victory. A spaceship launch might also be faster, though that's nowhere near as probable, and there's more to do.

I think a well done 20k game should get finished before the modern age, but that depends a good deal on how many additional cities can be captured and made productive.

Turnset:
Spoiler :
Turn 0 (3000 BC)- Check everything, looks good.
IBT- Dutch Move.
Turn 1 (2950 BC)- Nada
No Workers Available
IBT- 2/2 Barbarian Warrior killed by Our 3/3 Warrior, 1 HP lost.
Turn 2 (2900 BC)- Zzzzz...
IBT- Constantinople Riots b/c I forgot to MM it. :blush:
Turn 3 (2850 BC)- No Workers Available
IBT- Constantinople Back to Normal
Turn 4 (2800 BC)- No Workers Available
IBT-
Turn 5 (2750 BC)- No Workers Available
IBT- 2/2 Barbarian Warrior killed by Our 3/3 Warrior.
2/2 Barbarian Warrior killed by Our 3/3 Warrior, 1 HP lost, Promoted to Veteran.
Turn 6 (2710 BC)- No Workers
Decrease Sci to 40%, +2 gpt, Mysticism in 1.
IBT- Mysticism=> Writing (24 Turns @ 100%, -2 gpt)
Turn 7 (2670 BC)- No Workers
IBT- Constantinople Grows
Turn 8 (2630 BC)- Meet Greece (They Are Missing Ceremonial B and Pottery, They Have 10 Gold)
MM Constantinople
Sell Shaka Masonry for 25 gold
Up Lux to 10% to avoid riot.
No Workers.
IBT- Nada
Turn 9 (2590 BC)- No Workers
IBT- Shaka learns the Wheel (Known from Trading on Turn 10).
Turn 10 (2550 BC)- Curragh Movement Reveals Borders.
No Workers :(

City:
Constantinople (Size 5, Grows in 2): Colossus (17 Turns)

Military:
02 Warriors (0/1/1/0)
01 Curragh (1/0/0)
02 Workers

WEAK to Ottomans (Fear their Spears)
WEAK to Greeks (Fear their Hoplites)
AVERAGE to Zulu (Fear their Archers)
AVERAGE to Spanish (Don't Fear their Warriors)

Foreign Reports:
Ottoman Empire (2 Cities, Cautious):
Have- Incense (0 Extra), 0 Gold
Missing- Nothing besides Gold

Zululand (2 Cities, Polite):
Have- The Wheel, Ivory (0 Extra), 0 Gold
Missing- Mysticism and Gold

Greece (3 Cities, Polite):
Have- 10 Gold
Missing- Pottery, Ceremonial Burial, Mysticism

Spain (1 City, Cautious):
Have- Nothing
Missing- Masonry, Mysticism, and Gold

Attachments

• Sparthage Set 1 SGFN09.SAV
    61.3 KB · Views: 51
We need a new roster, this time with ALL players. ;)

I suggest giving Bowlsing fourth spot.

I had some extra time this morning, so I started playing early. Here's what happened:

Pre-turn:

Look around a bit. I have only one quibble: The Workers got moved north of the river onto the isolated BG. I would have moved them through Constantinople to the unimproved BG on the cow side of the river -- they'd be able to move directly onto the next BG from there. From here, I'm going to have to road a non-bonus grassland tile in order to get to the other BGs.

It's not a huge deal, but it's something that could have been slightly more efficient :)

IBT - nada
Turn 1 (2510 BC):

Rename Curragh to the IS Malcolm (IS stands for Imperial Ship)
IS Malcolm meets the Russians. Catherine has the Wheel, 31 gold, and 3 cities.
She'll give us the Wheel and all her gold in exchange for Alpha. I take the deal.

There's a horse near the Ivory to our south.

IBT - Catherine reprimands us for the Malcolm's presence in her territorial waters. We make a sincere apology and promise to leave.
Turn 2 (2470 BC):

Constantinople grew during the IBT, so I MM to avoid riots. Lux to 20% and move a citizen from a forest to a BG.

The Colossus is now due in 13 turns.
The Ottomans now have Iron Working, but they're not willing to make a deal.

IBT - nada
Turn 3 (2430 BC):

Workers start mining.
IS Malcolm sees green borders. I think we'll meet the Aztecs next turn.

IBT - nada
Turn 4 (2390 BC):

Indeed, we meet the Aztecs. Montezuma has two cities, 14 gold, and both Horses and Furs. We're up Masonry and the Alphabet.

IBT - A Greek Warrior comes within sight of Constantinople. I think he's just exploring.
Turn 5 (2350 BC): Nada.
IBT - Workers finish mining.
Turn 6 (2310 BC):

Constantinople is now size 7, so I MM it again -- move a citizen from a forest to a BG.
I don't need to adjust the lux slider, but we'll probably need to do that in 8 turns when it grows again.

IBT - nada
Turn 7 (2270 BC):

Our exploring Warrior pops a Settler from a hut. I'm going to pause here for discussion.

Attachments

• SGFN09, 2270BC.SAV
    66.2 KB · Views: 54
I would settle him either near the capitol, or on the yummy Ivory.

I had thought we were going with 0BC?

If so, move him home and merge into capital (and you can be a lot less worried about food, so if working a forest gets Colossus a turn sooner, go for it, it's worth it). It may actually be that we realize he won't get there until we're size 11 or so, in which case it's best to just disband him -- not worth the unit support. It may be best to disband regardless -- do the math and see. I'd say if he can get home when we're still size 10, it's probably marginally worth sending him home.

If we are allowed to build a city, I'd move him to the ivory and settle there. I can't tell very well from the screen shot, but is there a deer over there? If it is, I'd settle adjacent to deer and all three ivory (on the inside of the river bend).

General comment: don't worry about trading for things like Iron Working or Horseback Riding at all, except as incidental to getting cash or workers. We'll pick that up from the Great Library eventually, and a slower tech pace very early is good for us.

I had thought we were going with 0BC?

What does "0BC" even mean? To me, it sounds more like "disband the initial settler" than "never build settlers in our cities" -- but that's nonsensical.

Edit: The rules post says "no building settlers", but a popped settler is classified more like a culture flip.

If so, move him home and merge into capital (and you can be a lot less worried about food, so if working a forest gets Colossus a turn sooner, go for it, it's worth it). It may actually be that we realize he won't get there until we're size 11 or so, in which case it's best to just disband him -- not worth the unit support. It may be best to disband regardless -- do the math and see. I'd say if he can get home when we're still size 10, it's probably marginally worth sending him home.

If we are allowed to build a city, I'd move him to the ivory and settle there. I can't tell very well from the screen shot, but is there a deer over there? If it is, I'd settle adjacent to deer and all three ivory (on the inside of the river bend).

General comment: don't worry about trading for things like Iron Working or Horseback Riding at all, except as incidental to getting cash or workers. We'll pick that up from the Great Library eventually, and a slower tech pace very early is good for us.

I have some thoughts, but I'd like to hear from Sparthage and Aukrest before posting them.

If we can build a city, then I'd suggest building the city so that it will pick up both the ivory and horses or Ivory and that whale. I think we could get the settler back to Constantinople in time to add it if we can't build the city.

edit: I figure it will take 15-ish turns to get back to Constantinople.

I would rather have Ivory and horses over the game, we can capture that from the AI later.

Popped settlers are never mentioned, it says in the discussion thread about allowing to keep popped towns, so I would assume that means we can build with popped settlers. I would wait for instruction from the big guy in charge, first.

So I'm finally ready to start this. 20K has proven to be a viable game as an OCC, and in my test game, I had an 1830 AD finish with a mediocre starting spot. A good start will allow better, given a strong effort by all concerned. I will relax the OCC to a 1BC, allowing us to keep popped cities and settlers, and to take AI cities by force or culture.

Hadn't noticed that. I suppose that is pretty clear. I agree though, wait for TO's verdict.

Top Bottom