1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 01 - Xteam

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, May 8, 2006.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Sorry I missed this before. :sleep:
    I agree with the Capt. :D

:rolleyes: About that set of stocks for your public ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw Redbad - You're an XTeamer now and you have to learn to pray to the RNG Gods and make certain sacrifices in order to prevail. I think it has something to do with not making things too easy for us ...:rolleyes: :badcomp: :cringe:

2. DJMGator13

DJMGator13 Wondering why Builders can't build Roads

Sorry for not getting to the game yet. I was supposed to be able to play today, but I went golfing instead and now I'm too tired. It was too nice of a day to be coop up inside and I gave my Dad an early father’s day present, a new driver. So of course we had to go try it out.

I can definitely play Tuesday night, but if the next person wants to grab it first feel free. Just post a got it before playing.

BTW, I’ll be at a conference from June 5th to the 9th, without any Internet connection.

3. DJMGator13

Into turn 7 and I have a question, about where to head the settler for our 3rd town. Russia built a city by our iron and I've made 2 dumb mistakes so far. I've uploaded the save so people can have a look, but I've attached a screenie at the bottom.

preturn – 700BC
    Convert to Conf
    switch Thebes to barracks so we can grow
    mm Memphis to grow (slows axe by 1 turn)

(1) 685BC
    First screw-up – forest chop comes in for barracks and not settler (I never checked him)
    we get a scientist which builds the Academy
    worker2 to forest tile

we must have gotten 1 turn of anarchy on the conversion because we’re still 1 turn for growth and 1 turn for IW

(2) 670BC
    IW is in – set to Alpha
    worker1 to forest also

Second (and hopefully last ) screw-up - I’m calculating whether to mm Thebes off the cows and back to the FP when I realize “Avoid Growth” is still on, so we did not increase size, I decide to stay on cows to get settler 2 turns quicker than working the FP

(3) 655BC
    Parthenon built somewhere
    we grew to size 6 finally - +0fpt pickup the FP, still running just 1 scientist
    worker1 joins the chop
    work boat continues to sail

(4) 640BC
    chop is in – settler in 3
    Memphis axe => axe (save the promo)
    notice a Russian settler and archer by our iron and the sugar, where did they come from? Too early for war but this will save us a settler later

(5) 625BC
    Russian build a new city, their 6th
    workboat now at Russian border, w/o Open Border our exploration is done

(6) 610BC
    workers start roading the FP – possible path to our 3rd city

(7) 595BC
    settler is in, where do we want the 3rd city

---------------------------------

Russia founded a city by our iron

Where to put our 3rd city? The red circle gives us 14 FP's including the ones that Thebes is using, the blue circle is one that the game suggested. It still has a bunch of FP and ocean access. Neither site really adds any resources.

If the next player wants to finish out my 10 turns and then grab their 10 that is fine, so you get to play 13 1/2 turns. That makes more sense than waiting another day for me to finish off 3 more turns. But I felt the city location is crucial and needed to be discussed.

4. leif erikson

Sorry it took so long Gator, I missed your post.

I'll attach a screenie below and I'm for the red X marked spot. Plenty of food, 2 cows, a horse and plenty of hill for hammers and FP's for cottages.

EDIT - And fresh water too! ;)

5. Bede

Bede Deity

I vote for the red circle, rather than the red x. It will take time to get the FP cottages grown, while the resources at red x will only take worker turns to get up up to speed, though it is a spiffy spot, too.

6. romeothemonk

romeothemonk Order of the Engineer

I like Red Circle, then red X. I think that they could be towns #3 and #4. We need to get 4-6 axes together and take Yakentikenberg out soon so we can have us some iron and deny Cathy Metal.

7. DJMGator13

Romeo - do you have time to play soon? You can take the next 13 turns if you want. I'm up in the other SGOTM also and have minimal Civ time right now.

8. leif erikson

I guess I am lost somewhere on this city placement?? :confused:

We are planning to go to war with Catherine which will require us to build an army and replenish its strength. The red circle site has 14 Flood Plains tiles, a Desert Hill tile (mined=3 hammers), a Mountain tile and 3 Coast tiles. That will give a total of 5 hammers, unless we build some Watermills instead of Cottages, once we get to machinery. :eek:

The red X provides a Plains Cow (3f, 3h), a Grass Cow (4f, 2h), a Grass Horse (2f, 3h, 1g), 4 plains hills (4h each), and other useful tiles. :thumbsup:

Don't we need the hammers to produce units in sufficient quantity to soundly defeat Cathy?

EDIT -And the bonus is War Chariots to play an active defense with? :cool:

EDIT2
    I think we'll need more than that as we'll also need to defend Memphis. The power graph is showing that we're behind militarily. :mischief:

9. Bede

Bede Deity

A muscular economy will only strengthen the sinews of war. Two academy towns with that kind of commercial power are just too powerful.

10. Redbad

Redbad should have shaved

I think it's more a question of perception on how to advance then a matter of which city site is better.

If we want to be leaders in research then choosing red circle for the next city site is a good choice.

If we want to knock Cathy out then red square is a good choice.

I'm only concerned people might think we can have it both ways: knocking Cathy over while researching and building library / academy. That I think is very unlikely to happen.

If we're still in favour of winning this game by domination rather then diplo, then I'm in favour of red square so we can make a beginning with dominating. If we'd chosen diplo I would have preferred red circle.

11. leif erikson

Thanks for putting it in those terms. :goodjob: These are my sentiments, exactly!! :D

12. DJMGator13

We need units now. We should be able to catch up techwise through some peace deals and trades later. I think the red X is the better choice for the third city.

The nice thing about the red circle city is that Thebes is already developing some of those FP's, so when we do plant a city there (4th city) it can be commercially productive.

If we start seeing barb archers and axes we'll be in trouble. Units and warfare should be top priority right now, or Cathy will be too powerful to deal with.

13. Redbad

Exploration is still pretty important and as we won't attack within the next ten turns, I'd say get ourselves a rop and continu the exploration.

14. romeothemonk

romeothemonk Order of the Engineer

Hey guys, I am pretty busy until at least Sunday, so a skip and or swap may be in order.

Thanks
    Jake

15. Capt Buttkick

Capt Buttkick Emperor

And I'm back, but working double time until Monday (also weekend), so please skip me too.

16. leif erikson

Sounds like we're playing hop scotch ;) with all the skipping going on around here!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

@Gator - Did you wish to finish those 3.5 turns? :p

17. Redbad

With all these guys skipping I suppose I'm up now. So here's how it went.

595BC
    I cancel the roading orders, there’s no need for roads to red square in the short run.
    The workers are ordered to mine the Thebian grass hills, for maxing production.
    Open borders with Cathy , for continuing exploration with the workboat..
    Set Thebes to work max food (4 fp, cow and rice = +8 food), building orders: temple
    The settler is send to red square.
    No changes for Memphis.
    Send warrior near Yekaterinburg to Memphis.

580BC
    Sailing researched -> alphabet (9 turns).

565BC
    Heliopolis founded at red square: barracks. Alphabet in 7 turns.

550BC
    zzz

535BC
    Thebes switches working the rice to stone hill: both growth and temple in 4 turns.
    Memphis will also grow in 4. Cathy has sent a second archer to Yekaterinburg.

520BC
    zzz

505BC
    5 Axes from Memphis towards Yekaterinburg.

490BC
    zzz

475BC
    Thebes temple -> barracks

460BC
    Thebes barracks -> axe
    Alphabet researched -> civil service, research to 90%
    Meet Cyrus, open borders, hunting & masonry for iron working, Cyrus goes pleased
    Meet Gandhi, open borders, meditation & mathematics for code of law, Gandhi goes pleased
    We are the most advanced now, we share our island with only Cathy

445BC
    Chichen Itza has been built
    We dow Cathy and the 5 axes advance to Yekaterinburg

IBT Cyrus wants to trade his archery for our polytheism and we accept.

430BC
    We attack and capture Yekaterinburg, but as it is still size 1 it’s destroyed, it pays 17 gold.

IBT
    A Russian galley interrupts our clam fishing

415BC
    As Thebes border expands again the iron is in our culture now and we start mining it (due in 6 turns)

IBT
    The Russian galley now destroys our clam nets
    This effectively kills Memphis’ production and forces Thebes to switch working a fp to the rice. Cathy will pay for this.:mad:

400BC
    Line up a workboat in Memphis after the next axe to get the clam back (if the galley is gone by then)

18. DJMGator13

Thanks for getting us back on track Redbad. The skips were part of the reason I went with the 7 team members because I knew the Capt and myself were both going to be pushed for time. We're getting close to the time when Brad said he would be back so hopefully that will help stabilize the roster some.

Roster
    Romeo - Up (Sunday)
    leif - Up also if you can play before Sunday
    Bede -
    Bradleyfeanor - waiting for his return
    Capt -
    Gator - (at a conference from June 5th - 9th)
    Redbad - Just played (swapped with Romeo)

I asked leif to help keep us on track while I'm away. He's done a good job as the Xteam Skipper in the other SGOTM competition.

19. leif erikson

Yes, I can play before Sunday!! :D

Some questions:
    On research, we're working on Civil Service and it is due in 35 turns. Would it be worth changing to Construction, requires 18 turns, in order to be able to build Cats. Cathy's culture is way ahead of everyone's at this point and I'm worried about needing Cats to take Moscow?

During my turn set, do you think we have the strength to go after her city, and hold it, near Memphis? We currently have 5 Axes and 4 Warriors, kind of thin? I will switch to some Swords once Iron is in, but may need 5 or 6? :hmm: Also, we may need a Galley to defend the clam?

20. Bede

Bede Deity

Taking and holdig the ground south of Memphis is both a strategic and tactical requirement. Going any further than that without a sense of the Russian forces is risky.

I would take the town, absorb the counters, then start massing forces for a move south. Since we have gone to war I would research or buy whatever is needed to prosecute the war. Civil Service provides a great boost to the output at the capitol, but without Machinery won't help the war effort that much. Catapults will put us over the top.