SGOTM 01 - Xteam

Well done, Bede. :goodjob: Good thing to attack those cheeky Russian forces. And the scouting of Moscow gives me good estimation on when to attack .
One thing we have to change is our promotions. The axes now have frequently City Raider promotions and the swords have Combat promotions. In view of their characteristics it's better to swap them.

Plan now: full on military in order to capture Moscou and Yakutsk

50AD turn 0
not much to rearrange really
research set to 0% to get money for upgrade Helio warrior
set Petersburg to work the cow
order sword near Yakutsk to go to Petersburg

65AD turn 1
Thebes: axe -> war chariot
Memphis axe -> sword
Petersburg: catapult -> axe
Archer near Helio to Helio for MP
Warrior in Helio to Yakutsk to await promotion to axe
Trade cow for crab with Cyrus
Trade rice for pigs with Gandhi
Order workers near Helio to go to Petersburg

IBT Cyrus asks for CoL, we tell him to take a hike

80AD turn 2
one cat attacks Moscow and lowers culture defense from 60% to 36%
other cat healing
Thebes: war chariot -> sword
Helio: war chariot -> war chariot
Petersburg: hurry axe
Cottage finished near Memphis: workers to Petersburg

IBT: Persians have captured Olmec (I think it's a barbarian town, isn't it?)
An axeman has joined the Moscow defenses:

95AD turn 3
Moscow defending: 6 archers, 1 spear, 1 chariot, 1 axe
Moscow attacking: 5 axes, 3 catapults, 4 swords
catapults have reduced Moscow’s defenses to 12%
Petersburg axe -> archer

IBT: the Moscow axe and chariot have left Moscow and gone 2 N
I expect them to attack Petersburg and decide not to attack them but to defend Petersburg. Petersburg is on a hill, has 20% culture defense and defending it makes the archers useful.

110AD turn 4
catapults reduce Moscow defense to 0%
Petersburg archer -> archer
Moscow defending: 6 archers, 1 spear
Moscow attacking: 5 axes, 3 catapults, 4 swords

125AD turn 5
Thebes: sword -> sword
Workers finished mining first Petersburg grass hill -> second grass hill
Cathy's axe and chariot approach Petersburg:
Defending: 2 archers, 1 axe, 1 spear

Moscow defending: 6 archers, 1 spear
Moscow attacking: 8 axes, 3 catapults, 4 swords, 1 spear

IBT: Cathy’s axe attacks Petersburg and looses, the chariot goes 1 N to threaten the workers

140AD turn 6
attack on Moscow
Moscow defending: 6 archers, 1 spear, 1 catapult
Moscow attacking: 8 axes, 3 catapults, 4 swords, 1 spear
1 catapult set Moscow defense back to 0%
sword vs archer, sword dies
sword vs archer, archer dies
axe vs archer, axe dies
axe vs archer, axe dies
axe vs archer, archer dies
axe vs spear, spear dies
axe vs catapult, catapult dies
spear vs archer, archer dies
we capture Moscow, gaining 152 gold and 3 workers

Petersburg spear attacks Cathy’s chariot, chariot dies

Upgrade warrior near Yakutsk to axe

IBT Cathy converts to Judaism

155AD turn 7
our forces close in on Yakutsk
Moscow troops to heal in the city
Workers start on the first gems near Petersburg.
We’re hit by the first war unhappy.
Research to 20%

IBT Gandhi wants to trade his Monarchy for our Construction, we agree

170AD turn 8
Gandhi’s golden age has ended
We adopt hereditary rule
Attack on Yakutsk:
Sword vs axe, swords dies
Sword vs archer, archer dies
Axe vs axe, our axe dies
War chariot vs axe, axe dies
We capture Yakutsk, gaining 50 gold

Cathy wants to negotiate peace, but will not give her currency for it, so we decline.

185AD turn 9
Thebes sword -> archer (for MPing Yakutsk)
Memphis sword -> galley (for invasion of Persia)
Helio war chariot -> war chariot
Our first gems come online battling war weariness

Cathy still doesn’t want to give currency for peace, but we insist on currency as it would make good trading with Gandhi

200AD turn 10
we trade our gems to Gandhi for dye
set research to 30%
horses are pastured, now the workers to the second gems

and a final pic of our new conquests

Very nice Redbad!! :goodjob: :rockon: :banana:

Roster:
Leif - UP
Capt - On Deck
or still skipping?
Bradleyfeanor - waiting for his return
Romeo
Gator
Bede
Redbad
- Just played. :cool:

I will be unable to play until Thursday evening, so if someone wishes to grab it tomorrow, that is fine with me.
EDIT - Please post a "got it" and have at it!! :)

On the next set of turns.
Is it better to go and take Novgorod and Yaroslavl next? It seems to me that Rostov is not a very productive city in hammers, but should be pretty good with commerce. There is a mined hill we could sit on, observe, and prevent any movement out of the city. If we get a good deal with peace, we can take it at our leisure, although we prolly need to get some Courthouses built soon and consolidate our gains. But perhaps this is best done when Cathy is sent to the dustbin of history?

@Redbad, I'll take the credit for the distribution of promotions. My thinking has always been to promote to the unit's weaknesses. In the case of swords which already have a City Attack bonus, start them up the Combat path, so they can get to Cover or Shock. And since axes already have a Unit Attack bonus start them up the City Raider path.

I may be misapplying the combat system and I have no data other my own, limited, experience to account for that preference.

Nice work on Moscow, let's just take it on home to Cathy. Starting with the culturally stronger of her towns....

<< THE SAVE >>

The Turn Log:
Pre-flight &#8211; Turn 200 AD
Everything is looking fine.
I think I&#8217;m going to try and take Novgorod and the Yaroslavl before trying for a peace deal.

IBT
Heliopolis War Chariot => War Chariot
Yakutsk starts a Library.
A Russian Spear decides to travel near Moscow.

Turn 1 &#8211; 215 AD
Remove the jungle from the gems hill, move another worker there and start a road.
Move a sword onto Gems Hill to protect the workers from the Russian Spear.

IBT
Thebes Archer => Sword.
Moscow starts a Cat.
Heliopolis borders expand.

Turn 2 &#8211; 230 AD
Workers road Gem Hill and start mining.
Plunder Russian Gems with a War Chariot.
Archer from Thebes towards Yakutsk
Move units towards Moscow.
Begin movement to Novgorod. Take 2 Swords, 3 Cats, 1 War Chariot and 6 Axes.

IBT
Heliopolis War Chariot => War Chariot
Russian Spear moves onto our road east of Moscow.
Russian Axe, that was on the Rice is gone?

Turn 3 &#8211; 245 AD
An Axe from Moscow attacks the Russian Spear and kills him without loss, and returns to Moscow.
Movement to Novgorod, find Russia has Copper near Yaroslavl.

IBT
Memphis Galley => Catapult.
Notre Dame has been built in a land far away.

Turn 4 &#8211; 260 AD
Attack on Novgorod
Bombard takes city from 40% culture to 18%.
An Axe (Combat 1) attacks a Russian Axe (5.5 vs. 7.65 at 12.3%) and dies, Russian Axe now at 0.2/5.
A Sword attacks an Archer (6.6 vs. 5.49 at 67.4%) and kills him, now 0.6/6.
An Axe attacks an Axe (5 vs. 0.26 at 100%) and kills him without loss, take Novgorod, a Worker and 118 Gold. Install a Governor.

Move up some War Chariots to prepare to move on Yaroslavl.
Archer is in Yakutsk.
Send two workers back towards Yakutsk.

IBT
Catherine comes calling and wants to give us Horseback Riding and 60 Gold for peace. Not yet Honey!!
Thebes Sword => Aqueduct.
Heliopolis War Chariot => Courthouse.
St. Petersburg Archer => Courthouse.

Turn 5 &#8211; 275 AD
War Chariot defeats Archer on the Copper. Yaroslavl has 7 defenders, perhaps we can draw a couple out?

Move Army on Yurslavl.
Make a move on Rostov, see that it is defended by 3 Archers and 2 Spears.

IBT
Russian Axe comes out of Yaroslavl and kills our War Chariot.

Turn 6 &#8211; 290 AD
Move on Yaroslavl.

IBT
2 Russian Axes attack our stack near Yaroslavl and both die as War Chariots defend. The War Chariots end up 3.2/5 and 2/5.

Turn 7 &#8211; 305 AD
Bombard Yaroslavl and take it from 50% culture to 22%.
Patience.

IBT
Memphis Cat => Courthouse.

Turn 8 &#8211; 320 AD
Bombard Yaroslavl, takes it from 22% culture to 0%.
Decide to attack.
Axe attacks an Archer (5 vs. 3 at 94.8%) and kills him, now 2.8/5.
Axe attacks Archer (5 vs. 3.9 at 71.7%) and kills him, now 2.5/5.
Axe attacks Axe (5 vs. 4.16 at 72.8%) and kills him, now 2.3/5.
Sword attacks Spear (6.6 vs. 3.8 at 96.6%) and kills him, now 4.2/6.
War Chariot attacks Chariot (5.5 vs. 4 at 79.5%) and kills him, now 3.3/5.
Capture Yaroslavl, 11 Gold and install a Governor.

Go to visit Catherine and make peace for Currency and 60 Gold.

Change Moscow from Cat to Courthouse.

IBT
Gandhi comes knocking and wants to trade us Wheat for Sugar, absolutely yes.
Cyrus comes knocking and wants us to convert to Judaism, sorry but not today. Cyrus tells us the wages of sin are death, come on!!
Novgorod starts a Courthouse.
Turn 9 &#8211; 335 AD
Heal troops, move Cats towards Moscow for use against Rostov.
Visit Gandhi and he needs Currency. He will give us Horseback Riding and 130 Gold so I agree.

IBT
A forest grows near Thebes.

Turn 10 &#8211; 350 AD
Continue to move troops and workers.
Visit both Cyrus and Gandhi, nothing to trade.

After Action Report
We are at peace with Cathy again. She has only 1 city remaining, Rostov. She gave us Currency for peace.

We have 19 turns until Civil Service, researching at 30%, and are losing 17 GPT, with 463 in the Treasury. As we have plenty of units for the moment, I have changed most cities to Courthouses. Please feel free to change any build that may get us to victory faster.

Most units are in the Moscow area waiting for peace to subside so we can finish Cathy. There is a stack healing down by Yuroslavl. Currently we have 5 Archers, 7 War Chariots, 2 Warriors, 6 Swords, 6 Axes, 2 Spears, 4 Cats and 1 Galley.

It's 1 AM here and I just got back from work. I may be able to play on Sunday, so skip or swap is ok.

Capt Buttkick said:
It's 1 AM here and I just got back from work. I may be able to play on Sunday, so skip or swap is ok.
Thanks Capt. Better hit the hay... :mischief:

@Romeo - Any time to play before Sunday?

Nope, sorry Leif, I've got a siding gig today and tomorrow.

I'll take it tonight. Thanks.

Bede said:
I'll take it tonight. Thanks.
Thanks Bede, I think it is about time to send Catherine to electron heaven. :D

Good Luck!!

Turn 200, 500 AD: The Russian Civilization has been destroyed!!!

Cost a single cat.

Built a settler out of Heliopolis and she is sitting on the red dot site. I am going to make an argument for moving to the beach. It picks up another health resource on expansion (fish), has a forest in the outer southern fields, will work more FP than we can afford, has a couple of desert hills for hammers and it is on the beach. But red dot is fine too. A plenitude of riches I think.

Brought some workers up to Thebes to quarry the stone, as I figured the acqueduct there was for the Hanging Gardens. The Gardens are due in 5 or 6. The extra citizen can go praying so we can at least get a shrine or three. We control three holy cities right now, so we might as well make some use of them.

Swapped out to Bureaucracy when the tech came in.

The former Russian lands could stand some irrigation to the grasslands so we can get the most out of the hills down there.

Research was set to Paper but very little is invested right now. We need Metal, Machinery, and Optics before trying for Astronomy, but that is really neither here nor there right now, as our focus on production has cost us some research effort.

Making the Russian lands a prodution center (every town south of and including Memphis) and puttting the northern territory into maximum commerce mode is the way to go. Boats out of everywhere feasible, of course. We will be facing longbows and possibly crossbows when we cross the water into Persia and India so plans need to be bent accordingly. India especially is going to be tough nut as Gandhi is on a culture spree with most of the culture wonders.

A lot of the towns that were building courts got their assignments changed to granaries. We need the population so we can afford to whip out boats and troops, but market places first, I think.

No deals were done as little out there was attractive for trading out Civil Service. It is our monopoly now. I really want Metal and Machinery to come available before trading it.

Bede said:
The Russian Civilization has been destroyed!!!
Nice work!! :goodjob: :cheers:
Bede said:
I am going to make an argument for moving to the beach. It picks up another health resource on expansion (fish), has a forest in the outer southern fields, will work more FP than we can afford, has a couple of desert hills for hammers and it is on the beach. But red dot is fine too. A plenitude of riches I think.
Looking at it, I agree with your assessment. The only thing I didn't like was no fresh water, but that can be overcome.
Bede said:
Brought some workers up to Thebes to quarry the stone, as I figured the acqueduct there was for the Hanging Gardens.
Sorry, I should have stated that was my intention in the turn log. Nice guess. ;) :blush: :)
Bede said:
India especially is going to be tough nut as Gandhi is on a culture spree with most of the culture wonders.
I don't think we're ever going to take on Gandhi! When I mouse over his name or likeness, it says in red at the bottom that we can not declare war on him. So I went back to the first post in this thread and:
AlanH said:
Egypt is locked into peace with an unknown civilization.
I think we now know it is Gandhi... :p

Roster:
Capt - UP
Romeo - On Deck
Gator
- welcome back!!
Bradleyfeanor - waiting for his return
Redbad
Leif
Bede
- Just played!! :thumbsup:

Double Post Alert!! :mischief:

Got a good night's sleep :sleep: and got to thinking about something I read in the Maintenance Thread:
Gyathaar said:
Not sure if I should answer this, since you could figure this out yourself with some test games or reading articles/SDK... but ok.. being at war does not prevent permanent alliances..
I have never played with these before but read that we share tech and line of sight. Since we are at permanent peace with Gandhi, why not make a permanent alliance with him?

What are the conditions necessary for permanent alliances? Anyone know?

And do you think this is a good idea? It may help solve the tech problem. Also, I think we need to send Confucian Missionaries over to Gandhi's cities and get him on board with our religion, as that is all that separates us at the moment.

What do you guys think about this? :hmm:
Maybe you'll wish I just went back to bed??

I'm back but need some time to get caught up on what has happend since I've been away. Conference went well and I got in 1 round of golf, along with several very nice meals.

I know nothing about the permanent alliances. Looks like some nice progress has been made.

I'll defer to Romeo and/or the Capt for play time. I can play Sunday or Monday just let me know.

DJMGator13 said:
I'll defer to Romeo and/or the Capt for play time. I can play Sunday or Monday just let me know.
Hi Gator,

Welcome back. I think Capt. is set up for Sunday and then, if Romeo is still busy, Monday should be open for you. :thumbsup:

We're starting a summer time 4 day work week and I have Monday's off. However it means working 4 10-hour days so my time may get limited the rest of the week. This is my fisrt week on the new schedule.

For a nice example of a PA in a different context, check out this SG.

They played a(n) OCC and got a cultural victory (3 legendary cities) through a PA.

I have no idea how a permanant alliance would affect a domination victory goal, but I'm guessing the combined area counts (and you probably need a higher percentage of world area).

Top Bottom