SGOTM 01 - Xteam

My bad on the timing. I am trying to remember everything and I normally play the normal speed.

I am not so sure that a CS slingshot is needed, but I will defer to people doing the math and the trials. Of course Gyaanthaar might have given everyone else marble and left us holding nothing.
At least we all agree on pottery right away!!!

Maybe we should play until we research pottery, see what we can see and go from there.

leif erikson said:
I think I pretty much agree with Redbad, except I'm not so sure about Alphabet. To research Alphabet requires 672 beakers. To research Myst requires 111, Meditation = 178 and Priesthood = 133; a total of 422 beakers. To get to Code of Laws requires us to research an extra 250 beakers and we have to count on other civs available and ready to trade with us. :crazyeye:

There just examples leif. We also can get:
fishing
sailing
hunting
archery
polytheism
masonry.

Indeed not every civ wants to trade anything they know. For instance there mostly quite mean with monotheism. But I'm sure we can trade for most of the mentioned techs. And it can be used to influence AI behaviour and it's attitude towards us.

Redbad said:
Indeed not every civ wants to trade anything they know. For instance there mostly quite mean with monotheism. But I'm sure we can trade for most of the mentioned techs. And it can be used to influence AI behaviour and it's attitude towards us.
But we must have Priesthood for the slingshot. Also, I am unsure we can get the CS slingshot by taking the time needed to research that extra 250 beakers so early in the game? The test games I played were pretty consistent in that we have about 100 turns to get Code of Laws and Preisthood researched and build the Oracle.

I too, had probs getting the CS slingshot if I diverted too much from the basic plan. Then again, I finished #179 in the first 4otm I tried so I know I've got a lot to learn yet...

Lurker Willow reporting in! :salute:
Looking forward to following this game! :thumbsup:
I enjoy your strategy discussions!
(now if only I had a computer that could run the game...)

WillowBrook said:
(now if only I had a computer that could run the game...)
No sweat, after you score your first big coroporate trial. :p Just remember, we're with you all the way!! :D
Capt Buttkick said:
I too, had probs getting the CS slingshot if I diverted too much from the basic plan. Then again, I finished #179 in the first 4otm I tried so I know I've got a lot to learn yet...
I know how you feel. Why do you think I am asking so many questions and not giving many answers!! :blush: ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

romeothemonk said:
At least we all agree on pottery right away!!!
Romeo has a point. All this talk about alphabet and the CS-slingshot is premature. If we have only one neighbour for instance, getting alphabet is useless. There is no need to reach a decision on that now.

We do need a decision if we are going for writing after pots and get us the library/academy rush.

Pottery --> Writing and then on to AH for some defense and fencing in the cows?
Sounds like a plan to me ;)

Edit: just thought: we will need BW for slavery. I don't think we're looking at handbuilding a Lib, do we? So how/when do we fit that into our teching?

Capt Buttkick said:
Edit: just thought: we will need BW for slavery. I don't think we're looking at handbuilding a Lib, do we? So how/when do we fit that into our teching?
And no chopping w/o BW. So pots, writing, mining, BW, AH. ;)
The extra health and the chariots aren't needed immediately anyways.

Other teams have started, shall we give it a go too? I think we agree on the first 2 techs anyway. For discussing what thereafter we will have more info.

Play order:
Redbad
leif
Bede
Bradleyfeanor
Capt
Romeo
Gator

Twenty turns each?

Can I make a suggestion? As we have done with other SGOTM's, why not have RedBad move the settler to the place we all agree to settle, 1 SW, and post a screenie of what is seen, or even better, found the city and then post the screenie. Then we will have some idea of what we are facing. :D

Certainly, if there is a hill full of gold showing on our radius, mining will be our initial tech to research! :rolleyes: What are the chances??? :p

Good idea,
aye, aye, will do :salute: ;)
move SW, found city and post sreenie. I'll upload too so people can take a peek for themselfs.
Am at work now, so it will take another 2 to 2,5 hours .

The usual SG etiquette is that the first player plays 20 turns and then each player fallows with 10 turn sets. I think this is prolly how we'll play it, but the team should come up and confirm this. :crazyeye:
Can't wait for a screenie. :cool:

just thought as this is epic speed maybe there ain't happening not as much in 10 turns as on normal speed

Redbad said:
just thought as this is epic speed maybe there ain't happening not as much in 10 turns as on normal speed
Yes, I had PM'ed Gator and suggeted that through the first turn sets we consider playing an initial 30 turns and then 15 turns each. Then we could see how it is going and consider 10 turns. However, I thought we would be playing with 5, not 7. Once through will cover 120 turns, pretty far along.

So, really, we should prolly discuss and see what folks want to do. We'll have some time as you can't post until you get home, I'm looking forward to it Redbad!

BTW - What part of the Netherlands do you live in, if you don't mind? The other half of our family is from there. My Mother and Sister are leaving Monday to visit our relatives in Zutphen, Amersfoort, Rotterdam and Groningen.

Turnsets:
I have no probs with going 30-15-15 and then 10 from there on.
Or 30-15-15-15 so we take advantage of Brad's expertice before putting a n00b at the helm ;)

As far as turn sets go I would vote for any sequence that puts us on a multiple of 10 at the end of the first round. Epic speed gets some hinky dates at multiples of five.

Leif asked me where I lived, ...well here of course :D

turns to research (present setting)
11 mysticism
08 fishing
14 pottery
08 hunting
11 mining
18 animal husbandry

we can grow 4, before bumping into happy boundary and 3 for health.
We don't need to pasture the cow to grow 4 as the health boundary only takes 1 extra food, and we have got a rice we could farm.

And, don't worry I've changed the name to Thebes ;)

Edit: save is also available for examination.

Talk about "pastures of plenty" This is overwhelming riches.

So where are the bears and monkeys? In the forests, maybe.

Top Bottom