1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 01 - Xteam

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, May 8, 2006.

1. romeothemonk

romeothemonk Order of the Engineer

Ill try and play this on Sat or Sunday. If Monday rolls around and I haven't finished it, plz skip me as life is still really weird for me for a while.

2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

In SGOTM, whatever turns you play, you must post. If you only have time for 6 or 8 turns, please post the save to the file upload page and your turn log here. The next player will pick up from where you left off.

3. Redbad

Redbad should have shaved

Good going, captain. Some remarks/questions:
    Are there dutch and english too :confused: (or perhaps a joke and I'm missing the point :blush: )
    I'm afraid it wont. Memphis has no traderoute with Thebes. So only Thebes will benefit from the cow. Now we're on the subject: until Memphis gets connected to the trade route there's little point in having a warrior garisoning Memphis. In the Memphis situation having an MP is first beneficial at size 4 (which won't happen any time soon given its health), there's no risk of nearby barbs and Cathy will evaluate us on total strenght. It is however important to get a warrior up north to scout and fortify on a wooded hill, in order to catch barbs while defending. And it's best to use Memphis' warrior as he's the strongest (already has promotion).

4. Capt Buttkick

Capt Buttkick Emperor

Ooops... Other sg... :blush:

5. Capt Buttkick

Capt Buttkick Emperor

Eh, I meant Thebes will benefit from the cow. Only Thebes is unhealthy anyway ;)
    I kept the warrior in Memphis in case of a declaration from Cathy (I guess my foremost thought was to upgrade it after we have copper, though, and that will still be some time). After lib is chopped, maybe road to Memphis and hook up the copper?

6. leif erikson

7. Capt Buttkick

Capt Buttkick Emperor

Switch, Gator?

8. romeothemonk

Switch would be good. I was working all weekend, and I don't really see a let up soon.
    At least this weekend's work involved chainsaws and demolition and then coaching softball which is a huge step up from filling out paperwork and trying to look busy at a research position.
    Really sorry guys.

9. Capt Buttkick

Capt Buttkick Emperor

I'll be away on a mini-break Wed-Sat. I won't have internet access, and if I did, my wife would kill me if I used it :p

10. DJMGator13

DJMGator13 Wondering why Builders can't build Roads

The switch is on.

I may not play tonight but can definately play tomorrow night.

11. DJMGator13

The save

Not alot happened during my set, heres the log.

Turn 1 1870BC – worker2 chops
    Turn 2 – 1840 – MYST is in, select POLY
    Turn 3 – 1810
    Turn 4 – 1780
    Turn 5 – 1750 Cows are hooked up / worker1 west / worker2’s chop is in
    there’s a Barb warrior 2 east of the horses up north

Turn 6 – 1720 worker1 to rice, start farm / worker2 sw s away from the barb, plus with only 3 forest left I want to save them for the Oracle / wake warrior1 in Memphis head ne towards Thebes in case the barb approaches

Turn 7 – 1690 warrior1 ne / worker2 s s to plain hill / barb warrior not entering our lands yet

Turn 8 – 1660 Thebes size 5 working the cows plus the FP’s / warrior1 ne / worker2 mines the hill (so we can have some shields for the Oracle build / barb warrior no longer in sight

Turn 9 – 1630 a new forest grows by Thebes (gives us 4 forest now) / warrior1 ne

Turn 10 - 1600 warrior1 ne to stone hill / barb warrior still out of sight

Notes
    1) Thebes library due in 8
    2) Not sure if mining the plain hill was right, we might have been better off roading that tile to allow the rice to hook up to Thebes
    3) POLY due in 1, PRIEST is next on the path towards the CS slingshot
    4) Theses turns are pretty fast, but they will pickup in excitement later. Is everyone still Ok with doing just 10 for now?

Here's a look at Thebes

EDIT: Didn't feel like a triple post was needed just for the roster.

Roster:

Romeo - Up (or would you like to swap again?)
    Redbad - On deck or walking to the plate depending on Romeo
    leif - playing with himself in the dugout
    Bede - coaching third
    Bradleyfeanor - waiting for the call to the Bigs
    Capt - could care less about baseball when there is soccer butts to be kicked
    Gator - just played

12. romeothemonk

I will see what tomorrow evening brings but I should be able to play this one.

Will make sure we don't outgrow ourselves just yet, but will try to maximize commerce. If that means we are unhappy, well, so be it.

13. Redbad

Good job, Gator. :goodjob: For the next turns this would be my suggestions:

Thebes switch working the 2 latest floodplain cottages to working stonehill and plainshill. It will deliver the library in 4 turns. After the library set working the 2 hills to scientists. Switch working the cow to the floodplain with 3 coins. Set build to barracks.

Rice worker. After finishing improving to rice: go to Memphis to mine/road the copper.
    plainshill worker: after mining the hill, road the hill, road the rice, go to stonehill to mine/road.

Memphis warrior continue to go north a try to trap the barb warrior. By trapping I mean: having to attack you over a river, while being in a forest or a hill (preferbly all the mentioned :) )

14. leif erikson

Looking Good Gator!! :goodjob: :cool: :banana:

I'm wondering if there is another way. :hmm: We are in Slavery and our Library requires 40 Hammers to complete. I checked and it will require 1 Pop to finish the Library by rushing it. In Epic, this gives us 15 turns of 1 unhappiness. I am also unsure of whether we will get 60 hammers for this or not, the excess of which could go towards a Rax or a settler? ;)

I was looking at the save and those mountains to the east. I was thinking about, now that Sailing is prolly about, how easy it might be for our Aztec enemies to send a galley around those mountains, if they are there, with a couple of Axes aboard and how we might respond to that? Trying not to be paranoid, but trying to think ahead of the possibilities. :rolleyes:

I agree with Redbad's worker turns assessment, but am getting worried about the possibilities. Is there any way to shore up our defenses?

15. Capt Buttkick

Capt Buttkick Emperor

We don't have maths yet, so ~40 hammers is all we get from a whip iirc.

I too, agree with Redbad's worker moves. I'd also like to get our cities connected soon after mining the copper.

16. romeothemonk

IHT:

Well we learn Poly, Judiasm is FIDAL, and stuff conitnues as planned.

This might not be a conventional report as well, not a ton is happening.

See a barb warrior off to our right, he wanders away.

Kathy still denied on the Open Borders issue.

Reconfigured thebes to get max science, and it works for both Tech and for Academy producing Great Person.

This will work for about 5 more turns, then we need to go for shields and food, probably start working the cow soon.

It appears that Cathy is the one that founded Judiasm. Bummer. Or something!! :mischief:

Sorry, I didn't see Redbad's moves as I didn't get an email, but I did very similar moves.

17. Redbad

Thanks Romeo :) and so I gues I'm up.

1300BC pre game:
    Switch a scientist in Thebes to the cow, resulting in building Oracle reduced from 34 to 23 turns and researching CoL increased from 18 to 19 turns. That leaves room to squeeze in a 3 turn research for fishing. Man, I like this research speed.
    Fishing will gives Memphis something useful to build (workboats) while waiting for maces. And it gives Memphis an opportunity to grow. Switch Memphis working the grass forest to working the grass riverbank: it will build the warrior in 3 turns, finishing when fishing comes in, while giving us an extra commerce.
    I cancel the roading orders for the south worker and tell him to go to the copper. Mining the copper first is more beneficial for Memphis then connecting to Thebes. I’d rather have the connecting road run north anyway as it will come pass the cow.
    The warrior on stone hill is sent north to take out the barb warrior.

1270BC zzz

1240BC Russians finish pasturing the cow

1210BC fishing researched -> restart on CoL, russians road the cow (when Thebes connects to Memphis we might have a trade route with Cathy as well), we start mining the copper, Memphis starts building a workboat

1180BC Memphis grows to size 3 and so we’re starting to loose 3 gpt. I’m switching research to 90%: CoL and Oracle in 19 turns.

1150BC zzz

1120BC Warrior spots silver up north, but it will take quite some time to get it in our culture (let alone work it). Mining stone hill complete, switch work from mined plains hill to mined stone hill: Oracle 15 turns, Col 17 turns. Maybe later we have to throw in 2 turns of building barracks?

1090BC Stonehenge has been build in a far off land, north worker starts on connecting road between Thebes and Memphis. As Thebes is 2 turns from growing I’m switching on “Avoid Growth”. Growing would empty our food bin and run 1 food deficit. So final result would be an empty food bin. Switching working a floodplain cottage to working the plains hill or to a scientist is counterproductive as well.

1060BC Our warrior has slain the barb warrior while defending on a forested tundra hill. Though he needs 2 turns to heal, he steps north first to make sure we can sail round the north. And we can. The copper mine has finished.

1030BC South worker starts roading the copper.

1000BC North worker continues on connecting road, north warrior healing.

After game thoughts:
    Memphis: workboat working the clam, build another workboat and sent that exploring the east. Then start building axes and later maces.
    South worker after finishing copper road start mining / roading plains hill NE of Memphis.
    Thebes can do some barracks build in between to time research of CoL. Alternative could be switching working stone hill to a scientist.

18. romeothemonk

ok,
    Two minor things. First take off Avoid growth, as it really hoses things up. If we want to avoid growing, we just do the following, work 2 floodplains, and both mined hills and starve a little. Rather than put any extra hammers into a rax, I propose a granary so we grow that much faster when we want to so that we can work even more FP cottages.
    Second, I still think that there is plenty of work for both workers to do at Thebes (Chop granary? More cottages, etc.)

19. DJMGator13

We also need to watch the timing on The Oracle. Currently it show 11 turns to complete vrs 13 turns for COL.

Just incase it's needed here's the roster:

leif - Up
    Bede - on deck
    Bradleyfeanor - waiting for his return
    Capt -
    Gator -
    Romeo -
    Redbad -

20. leif erikson

Nicely played Redbad!! :goodjob: :goodjob:

I agree about the Rax. We aren't growing too quickly too soon with only gems and a silver we can't reach on our continent. Let's hope we get religion with Code of Laws, or we'll have to adopt Cathy's and then take her cities. And once the Oracle is completed, I think we'd best get about the task of kicking Cathy out.

I've got it. :D

I see a dilema before me. Thebes grows in 1 turn. When it does, the citizen will be unhappy and we'll be losing 1 food per turn with the current configuration. My initial thought is to let that citizen starve away as trying to keep them will mean moving off of FP Cottages or a drop in hammers, unless we sacrifice the Scientist? But that can't be a good idea as then most of the GP points will come from the Oracle and that means Great Prophet. :confused:

I intend to keep Thebes focused on The Oracle so that if we lose it, we get as much gold as possible from it. Whne it is down to 1 turn, I think switch to Rax for 2 turns would be smart. :scan:

EDIT - I think we need the food in Memphis more than a recon, or not? Building a second work boat should follow the first in priority?