SGOTM 04 - Geezers

I think we should play the Khan military thing by ear and see how it goes. I think that we need to be capable of eliminating him if it seems like he'll just be too painful to have hanging around.

Ugh, we are far away from eliminating Khan. We can and should damage him, but I do not think we can take him out of the game. We should raze some cities, but we are far away from finishing him.

It is really hard to see too far into the future until we have met and assessed the state of the other hitherto unknown civilisations. Until then, we need to be satisfied with strengthening our own position, controlling Khan's threat, and developing the ability to go and explore the world.

I personally would prefer we not destroy Khan, but we do want to keep him from becoming a threat. Here's my thoughts on what we can do to him:

1. Eliminate him completely
1a. Keep his cities, this would likely require CoL to remove the distance penalties and enalbe us to build the Forbidden Palace in his lands
1b. Raze all his cities. This will remove him and allow us to avoid distance penalties, leaving his lands open for major barbs and later a vacation from our lands to allow Gandhi some major tech/production increases

2. Vassalize him
2a. Take the minimum number of cities to vassalize him and hope to use him as a trade partner whom we can essentially control the research of. Requires Feudalism and possibly CoL since to vassalize him we'll need to keep his cities so he doesn't suddenly expand enough to throw off our reign.
2b. Take him out to a single city and then vassalize him, essentially removing him from the game, but giving us an AI for Gandhi to focus on rather than us militarily. Requires Feudalism

3. Limited war to keep him a non-threat
3a. This would require removing his iron access and possibly his horse access. Then he'd be stuck with archers until Feudalism. Unfortunately he wouldn't be a trade partner afterward unless he is the one that declared on us. It would though leave open the option of taking him down later with him being militarily inept still

4. Be Peaceful toward him
4a. We'd need to keep a strong standing army and not get complacent in keeping it strong, but we probably need one anyway. It'd give us a trading partner, especially if we got friendly with him, and would leave open the option to migrate down later as long as we kept our army strong.

We do need to eventually move down to the Khan's land, but I'm not convinced we need to preemptively take him out. I do believe he can't be allowed to get dangerous, which may mean early war on him.

*sigh* This could be a major decision where various teams get split on. Peace or no peace with Khan? I would tend to say peace, but we'll need his land anyway, so after a round or two of tech trading it may be best off to just raze him out and leave his land open for our later migration.

I think that's my vote...We attempt to build the Great Library, we continue building up our army, which I think is nearly large enough to declare war on him now, set up a GP farm somewhere(I'm not sure where....I don't think we've found a good spot yet? perhaps in the area that Chehalis is), and start migrating our army south. We've got a number of spears ready already, we can use our first round of swords on the barb city to get them to CR2, then send them south without cats and axes, and I think within 30 or 40 turns we could be ready to wipe Khan out.

Summary: We learned Alph and started Currency. We have more units and some have already move down south. When Nidaros grow in 2 turns, it will be able to build a sword or a cat every 3 turn. Kahn settled another city (Tabriz), we should let it grow and when the time is right take it for keeps. This also made it impossible for us to go the peace route. Gods of War here we come.

My Battle Plan: Considering having three groups out at first when we assult. I placed an axe and a spear on a tile labeled Pillage team. I would add the Chariot and a sword in New Saria to it. We should get them to the Horses in 4 turns and the chariot can pillage it that turn. Then I would send them to the city east of Kara. On the other side of Karakuram, I labeled a tile called Assult/block. That team should move to the Forsted hill to east when we DoW. His forces are going to gather to protect the capital and we can block some of them for a while. Next Our city raid team should start at the marble to attack and raze New Sarai on the second turn with the main assult force of at least 2 cats and 4 swords. Once that is done, they can join the pillaging team to take the city east of Kara. And on to the next city.

0250 BC (Turn 150) Reduce Science to zero for this turn.

0235 BC (Turn 151) Move War south, Chariot to look at the Kands cap. Moved the WB to find a Gandhi's Trireme waiting, pulled WB back. Set science to 100%, Education in 7 turns. Mm Nidaros to grow in 2 and finish Sword in 2. Rush lib in Ironcity.

0220 BC (Turn 152) ElDo completes Cat and start Sword. Moving cat, Spear and an Axe to south. Upps complete Axe and start Sword. Move Axe south. Iron city start Grainary. The Trireme is still waiting outside of Kahns border. Taking the WB back to the red border. Moving worker to improve Iron city.

0205 BC (Turn 153) Nidaros: Sword>Cat. Units move south. Chariot is returning to iron site from Karakorum. Worker move to chop forest for IronCity. Fabeled Samarkahnd, Kahns new city, is defended with 3 archers.

0190 BC (Turn 154) Units Moving South and see 2 of Kahns Archers near by. Just Noticed Stonehenge in Bombay and he just got a GProphet.

0175 BC (Turn 155) Complete jungle chop. Mm Upps to use new tile. Grow fast. Science to 0.

0160 BC (Turn 156) Set Science to 100%. If Kahn Make a demand and we say no, he is in position to kill one of our workers. Worker building cottage for Upps.

0145 BC (Turn 157) Barb galley's are near Kahns iron city; still no mining activity. There are 4 workers near kahns Gem cities.

0130 BC (Turn 158) Kahn is about to place a city near Upps. Our forces are near the target area for future endevors. Mm Nidaros to grow and build a sword in 3. Once this city grow, it can be a 3 turn (20 hpt) sword or cat factory by using the 3 hammer hill or a mine. Had to reduce Science to 60%. (I did some thing wrong with my math)

0115 BC (Turn 159) Learn Alpa and start Currency. We are missing a few Prereq for CoL. We are at half a million pop. Mm Iron SHeep to grow and build grainary in 4 turns. Hope this will still give us the half full grainary. Gandhi has five techs on us and we have math over him. Kahn does not have Alpha. Setting Science to zero.

0100 BC (Turn 160) Iron Sheep radius grow, exposing the Barb city. There are 3 warriors in there and Kahns two archers are heading there. ElDo built the sword, so he is following the archers and I pulled out the warrior from Nidaros to go to Iron Sheep so the Axe can go with the archers to the Barb city and hopefully the sword will catch up in time to take down that city. I have had some luck with this method with just one axe. I wait for the 2 archers to attack and once the city is down to just 1 warrior, my axe attack. Started a chariot in ElDo, we can change it to a Sword.

Spoiler :
Session Turn Log from 250 BC to 100 BC:

Turn 153, 205 BC: St. Patrick (Great Prophet) has been born in Bombay (Gandhi)!

Turn 156, 160 BC: The Kong Miao has been built in a far away land!

Turn 158, 130 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 44 ? for Iron Sheep.
Turn 158, 130 BC: You have discovered Alphabet!

Turn 159, 115 BC: The borders of Iron Sheep have expanded!

Thrallia
Htadus- just played
Sam- UP
Jenarie- on deck
Mark
Harbourboy

The Save
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/civ4sgotm4/Geezers_SG004_BC0100_01.CivWarlordsSave

wow he's in a hurry to expand.

Why are you using the old-style foreign advisor? Why not switch to the new and improved advisor you have access to thanks to the HOF mod? :)

If Khan doesn't have Alpha and is willing to trade with us, perhaps we should trade him Alpha for everything he'll give us(sailing is the most important) and then see what else he might have hidden behind that.

Also, binary research doesn't exist in Warlords...they changed it to include decimals when calculating commerce/research/culture so that there isn't any extra beakers lost or gained when going 0%/100%

Other Team Updates:
Peanut, CDZ, Trash Team, Murky Waters all built wonders between 1300BC and 1000BC.

Fistful of Dynamite had a huge culture boost before 3000BC, I assume they founded Hinduism

Murky Waters and Peanut began building up their militaries massively at the same time we did.

At the point when Htadus submitted our save, we are more powerful than any of our competitors...that gives us the ability to be fairly certain that no one else has started warring Khan yet, unless they are doing so with a weaker army than we are.

T-minus 20-30 turns until we must war Khan if we want to make it quick and painless.

3. Limited war to keep him a non-threat
3a. This would require removing his iron access and possibly his horse access. Then he'd be stuck with archers until Feudalism. Unfortunately he wouldn't be a trade partner afterward unless he is the one that declared on us. It would though leave open the option of taking him down later with him being militarily inept still

My choice. It will keep indian Navy from being a problem for a while.

Well played, Htadus. So much can happen in just 10 turns. Khan is always that expansive in my experience. That is why his economy is always so rubbish and why he never has the tech lead that Gandhi always does, but it is why he will always be a pain until we can get him under control.

Looking forward to seeing what Sam can do now with this position. It's all starting to get very interesting.

Good progress Htadus. :goodjob:

Ok team, I return to my previous question. What's our plan for Khan?

Htadus obviously feels we want war soon. Thrallia seems to be of a similar mind. Does everyone else agree? If so, then what type of war? To the death or limited? If the latter then which cities do we want to capture or raze?

Trade wise should we give Alpha for Khan's techs? Of those on offer ISTM that only sailing is really needed and we can research that in three turns. Is it worth trading?

I'm assuming that we want to keep Yayoi. Am I correct? I won't play before tomorrow evening at the earliest as I would like to receive thoughts on our way forward and just what our targets are. If we're not going to be warring soon then a worker or two and a library in Nidaros would be very nice. Otherwise I shall just go for military.

I feel that we do need to war soon in order to create more spare space for cities and growth to the south. Once started, my vote is to carry on until we reach the point that we need to stop to rebuild economy or armies. So the decision on how to far to take it will depend on how well the initial campaign goes (and how the Random Number Gods treat us).

I'm not yet decided on targets for Khan. He has a lot of land in the jungle which would be a bit painful to deal with until cleared. Ideally we would let him clear some of it for us, but I think it would be good to be able to get rid of the western cities like Samarqand in order to have a more manageable war front with him. Maybe we need to raze Samarqand early-ish so we don't have to defend that flank. Cutting him off from resources is another priority. I'll leave it up to you guys to decide which of his cities are best to keep as we go along.

I'm not sure about tech trading with Khan. What is the downside of trading for something like sailing.

Not sure about Yayoi. How much of a maintenance burden would it be compared to the benefits of another city up there?

Thinking about what Thrallia said about trading Alph for any techs Kahn will trade seem to be a good Idea.

I have been mongering lately and I noticed that when a civ is down to the last couple of cities, they are willing to part with more technologies. But as previously said by Thrallia, they will choose to go extinct over giving any techs if you redeclare on them.

My goals are:
Take away all cities North of Karakurum, including Kar. Leave Kahn with 2 coastal cities to Southwest, unless we want stone. At that point we offer peace to Kahn for all his techs and if he refuses, take out one of the 2 remaining cities. He will most likely give what he know by then. But anywhere down the road if we are slowing our science and the war is not progressing well we need to pow wow.

Most of his cities are protected by 2 archers while others are with 3. If we have the CR group supported by about 4 cats, even the cities with culture will go down after two turns of bombardment.

My recent exploits showed me that if I go after high culture city without cats and without 3 to 1 odds in favor, I can not take the city. Since most cities of his have no culture, just swords can take those cities with 2 to 1 odds. This war should only take as long as getting troups to the attack points.

My initial, war plan was thinking about attacking in about 10 turns, If we are going to attack in 20+ turns, we should also have another team go after the Iron city right when we dow since we will have the forces needed.

I would only keep his iron city and Tabriz and settle a replacement city one tile north of Karakurum and another by samarkahnd and Chehalis. See attached map.

I am in favor of keeping the Barb city and making it our GP farm but it may become an additional city to keep in mind during the war.

Sam: I was bringing back the warrior to ElDo for security back up. Also if you do not change the tiles worked in Iron City, please take a notice when it grow and build the grainary, if we get a half full grainary. Thanks.

Good progress Htadus. :goodjob:

Ok team, I return to my previous question. What's our plan for Khan?

Htadus obviously feels we want war soon. Thrallia seems to be of a similar mind. Does everyone else agree? If so, then what type of war? To the death or limited? If the latter then which cities do we want to capture or raze?
I'd say we limit him to just a few cities, give peace for techs, then eliminate him a little later. If he isn't willing to give techs though, perhaps just eliminate him to prevent him from attacking our backs while we begin defending from Gandhi.

Trade wise should we give Alpha for Khan's techs? Of those on offer ISTM that only sailing is really needed and we can research that in three turns. Is it worth trading?

All the techs are worthwhile, but only sailing is needed right now. However, every turn saved by trading for it is worth even more. He won't be around for very long, trading with him won't impact our trade ability with any other AI(if the AI haven't met us, they don't care about his trades, and Gandhi will not be a trading partner anyway), and trading him alphabet or any other non-military tech won't help him deter the end that is coming :hammer:

In other words...yes, it is most definitely worth it. Plus, by trading just Alpha for anything he'll give us now, we can see what else he knows that we can trade for the next turn.

I'm assuming that we want to keep Yayoi. Am I correct? I won't play before tomorrow evening at the earliest as I would like to receive thoughts on our way forward and just what our targets are. If we're not going to be warring soon then a worker or two and a library in Nidaros would be very nice. Otherwise I shall just go for military.

I suppose we could keep Yayoi, I hadn't even thought about that yet lol. I think we do need to war Khan soon and that it will likely begin during mark's turnset lol simply because he'll be so easy to take down right now. His Keshiks and archers are no match for our already accumulated axes, swords, and spears. I'd say that we could almost declare war on him now since most of his cities have no cultural defenses, but I think we should position our strike forces before declaring.

As for the strategy...I'd personally ignore his northern cities since they have no resources or production and they'd just distract us from his core cities. I'd actually be willing to leave them as his leftovers when we try to extract techs from him. That'd let us concentrate entirely on his core and hit him quick and hard later when we took him out for good.

Man.....Did Mark plan this? in 23 turns the cap alone can give us 8 swords or cats. He get to DoW. Lucky Bas.....:D

Of course. I have to keep the tradition. :lol:

I like the alpha trading thing. It is definitely worth it.

So, go Sam, give me a nice army to play with. :D

Ok, I'll play in an hour or so. Plan is to build military, keep Yayoi should it fall into our hands :mischief: and trade Alpha to Khan for all his techs.

Sounds good. I think the timing will be nice for Mark to start the party with Khan during his turnset. Give Mark an army. That'll test his character......

Summary

Life just got more complicated. :( Ghandhi landed a force by El Dorado-sala. Khan has started building Keshiks. Traded Alpha for Sailing & Archery. Captured Yayoi.

Turn 160 - 100 BC
Traded Alpha for Sailing & Archery. HBR is still so expensive that this was the only trade possible that included Sailing even if I included Mysticism.
Turn 161 - 85 BC
Ghandhi lands a sword and archer by El Do. :eek: Move sword on pigs to El Do. Rush chariot in El Do. Perhaps a bit of a :smoke: move but I've suffered bad RNG in the past in this type of situation. Nidaros Sword -> Chariot. Moved sword to pigs. MM IronSheep to grow before granary finishes. Khan also knows Calendar but won't trade.
IBT:
Ghadhi sword pillages gold mine. :mad: Archer moves to another gold mine.
Turn 162 - 70 BC
El Do Chariot -> Axe. Sword on pigs moves to El Do. Warrior reaches El Do. Kill Ghandhi archer with sword (0.2/6). Khan now knows Calendar & Currency but won't trade either.
IBT:
Ghandi sword kills our sword on the gold mine.
Turn 163 - 55 BC
Nidaros Chariot -> Catapult. Kill Ghandhi sword with a sword (0.3/6). Whip the granary (1 turn left) in IronSheep.
Turn 164 - 40 BC
IronSheep Granary -> Worker. Khan now has a Keshik & 2 archers in New Sarai. Keshik heading owards Tabriz. Kahn's archers killed one warrior in Yayoi and inured another. Kill a warrior with axe.
Turn 165 - 25 BC
Kill last warrior in Yayoi and capture it.
Turn 166 - 10 C
Nada.
Turn 167 - 5 AD
Nidaros catapult -> Sword.
Turn 168 - 20 AD
El Do Axe -> Spear. Both Ghandhi & Khan have a trireme to the N of Yayoi.
Turn 169 - 35 AD
Both Ghandhi & Khan's triremes move south.
Turn 170 - 50 AD
Nidaros Sword -> Sword, Uppsala Sword -> Spear. As Ghandhi's trireme is heading towards Nidaros we may want to rush a trireme in Nidaros to protect our sea resources.

Spoiler :

Turn 160 (100 BC)
Tech learned: Sailing
Tech learned: Archery
Nidaros grows: 8
Nidaros finishes: Swordsman

Turn 161 (85 BC)
Nidaros begins: Catapult
Spearman promoted: Combat II
Nidaros begins: Chariot
El Dorado-sala finishes: Chariot
Iron Sheep grows: 2

Turn 162 (70 BC)
El Dorado-sala begins: Axeman
Swordsman promoted: City Raider I
Swordsman defeats (0.24/6): Indian Archer
Chariot promoted: Combat I
Nidaros finishes: Chariot
Uppsala grows: 7
Swordsman loses to: Indian Swordsman (6.00/6)

Turn 163 (55 BC)
Nidaros begins: Catapult
Swordsman promoted: Shock
Swordsman defeats (0.30/6): Indian Swordsman
El Dorado-sala's borders expand
Uppsala finishes: Chariot
Iron Sheep finishes: Granary

Turn 164 (40 BC)
Uppsala begins: Swordsman
Iron Sheep begins: Worker
Axeman promoted: City Raider I
Axeman defeats (3.20/5): Barbarian Warrior

Turn 165 (25 BC)
Axeman defeats (3.20/5): Barbarian Warrior
Captured Yayoi (Barbarian)
Yayoi begins: Granary

Turn 166 (10 BC)
Nidaros finishes: Catapult
El Dorado-sala grows: 6

Turn 167 (5 AD)
Nidaros begins: Swordsman
El Dorado-sala finishes: Axeman

Turn 168 (20 AD)
El Dorado-sala begins: Spearman

Turn 169 (35 AD)
Nidaros grows: 9
Nidaros finishes: Swordsman
Uppsala finishes: Swordsman

Turn 170 (50 AD)
Nidaros begins: Swordsman
Uppsala begins: Spearman

Spoiler :

Turn 160, 100 BC: You have discovered Sailing!
Turn 160, 100 BC: You have discovered Archery!
Turn 162, 70 BC: Geezers's Swordsman (6.60) vs Gandhi's Archer (4.50)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Combat Odds: 86.6%
Turn 162, 70 BC: (Extra Combat: -10%)
Turn 162, 70 BC: (Plot Defense: +25%)
Turn 162, 70 BC: (Hills: +25%)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Geezers's Swordsman is hit for 16 (84/100HP)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Gandhi's Archer is hit for 24 (76/100HP)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Gandhi's Archer is hit for 24 (52/100HP)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Geezers's Swordsman is hit for 16 (68/100HP)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Geezers's Swordsman is hit for 16 (52/100HP)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Gandhi's Archer is hit for 24 (28/100HP)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Geezers's Swordsman is hit for 16 (36/100HP)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Geezers's Swordsman is hit for 16 (20/100HP)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Geezers's Swordsman is hit for 16 (4/100HP)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Gandhi's Archer is hit for 24 (4/100HP)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Gandhi's Archer is hit for 24 (0/100HP)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Geezers's Swordsman has defeated Gandhi's Archer!
Turn 162, 70 BC: Gandhi's Swordsman (6.00) vs Geezers's Swordsman (0.32)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Combat Odds: 100.0%
Turn 162, 70 BC: (Extra Combat: +10%)
Turn 162, 70 BC: (Plot Defense: +25%)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Geezers's Swordsman is hit for 23 (0/100HP)
Turn 162, 70 BC: Gandhi's Swordsman has defeated Geezers's Swordsman!
Turn 163, 55 BC: Geezers's Swordsman (6.60) vs Gandhi's Swordsman (6.00)
Turn 163, 55 BC: Combat Odds: 68.1%
Turn 163, 55 BC: (Extra Combat: -10%)
Turn 163, 55 BC: (Plot Defense: +25%)
Turn 163, 55 BC: (Combat: -25%)
Turn 163, 55 BC: Gandhi's Swordsman is hit for 20 (80/100HP)
Turn 163, 55 BC: Gandhi's Swordsman is hit for 20 (60/100HP)
Turn 163, 55 BC: Gandhi's Swordsman is hit for 20 (40/100HP)
Turn 163, 55 BC: Geezers's Swordsman is hit for 19 (81/100HP)
Turn 163, 55 BC: Geezers's Swordsman is hit for 19 (62/100HP)
Turn 163, 55 BC: Gandhi's Swordsman is hit for 20 (20/100HP)
Turn 163, 55 BC: Geezers's Swordsman is hit for 19 (43/100HP)
Turn 163, 55 BC: Geezers's Swordsman is hit for 19 (24/100HP)
Turn 163, 55 BC: Geezers's Swordsman is hit for 19 (5/100HP)
Turn 163, 55 BC: Gandhi's Swordsman is hit for 20 (0/100HP)
Turn 163, 55 BC: Geezers's Swordsman has defeated Gandhi's Swordsman!
Turn 163, 55 BC: The borders of El Dorado-sala have expanded!
Turn 164, 40 BC: Geezers's Axeman (5.50) vs Barbarian's Warrior (2.10)
Turn 164, 40 BC: Combat Odds: 99.9%
Turn 164, 40 BC: (Extra Combat: -10%)
Turn 164, 40 BC: (Plot Defense: +25%)
Turn 164, 40 BC: (Fortify: +25%)
Turn 164, 40 BC: (City Defense: +25%)
Turn 164, 40 BC: (City Attack: -20%)
Turn 164, 40 BC: (Combat: -50%)
Turn 164, 40 BC: Geezers's Axeman is hit for 12 (88/100HP)
Turn 164, 40 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 31 (69/100HP)
Turn 164, 40 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 31 (38/100HP)
Turn 164, 40 BC: Geezers's Axeman is hit for 12 (76/100HP)
Turn 164, 40 BC: Geezers's Axeman is hit for 12 (64/100HP)
Turn 164, 40 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 31 (7/100HP)
Turn 164, 40 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 31 (0/100HP)
Turn 164, 40 BC: Geezers's Axeman has defeated Barbarian's Warrior!
Turn 165, 25 BC: Geezers's Axeman (3.52) vs Barbarian's Warrior (0.48)
Turn 165, 25 BC: Combat Odds: 100.0%
Turn 165, 25 BC: (Extra Combat: -10%)
Turn 165, 25 BC: (Extra Combat: +10%)
Turn 165, 25 BC: (Plot Defense: +25%)
Turn 165, 25 BC: (Fortify: +25%)
Turn 165, 25 BC: (City Defense: +25%)
Turn 165, 25 BC: (City Attack: -20%)
Turn 165, 25 BC: (Combat: -50%)
Turn 165, 25 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 34 (0/100HP)
Turn 165, 25 BC: Geezers's Axeman has defeated Barbarian's Warrior!
Turn 165, 25 BC: You have captured Yayoi!!!
Turn 167, 5 AD: The enemy has been spotted near El Dorado-sala!
Turn 168, 20 AD: The enemy has been spotted near El Dorado-sala!
Turn 168, 20 AD: Nidaros will grow to size 9 on the next turn
Turn 168, 20 AD: Nidaros will become unhealthy on the next turn
Turn 169, 35 AD: The enemy has been spotted near El Dorado-sala!
Turn 169, 35 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Yayoi!
Turn 169, 35 AD: Nidaros has grown to size 9
Turn 169, 35 AD: Nidaros has become unhealthy
Turn 169, 35 AD: Antoine Laurent Lavoisier (Great Scientist) has been born in a far away land!
Turn 169, 35 AD: A Forest has grown near Iron Sheep!
Turn 170, 50 AD: The enemy has been spotted near El Dorado-sala!
Turn 170, 50 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Iron Sheep!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I saw an archer on Khan's horses earlier. Also there is at least one more Keshik about.

Top Bottom