SGOTM 04 - Geezers

Sorry, I have to work late at the moment, so I did not even turn on my PC at home yesterday, so I still have no real idea how we are set up. I will do this tonight.

I also rarely build archers at this stage of the game. Archers are good for early defense if you have no copper around, but once the AI has swords, axes are far better for offensive defense. Going for Khan we will need a good number of cats, spears for securing the stack against Keshiks. One spear should be promoted with Medic I if possible, but as mentioned I will have a look tonight and post what my impression is.

In general I agree with Htadus that we have to agree first which cities are to be razed and which ones we want to keep. Depending on what we agree we have to put our stacks together. If we go for his capitol first we need a bigger stack than for attacking his surrounding cities which will not be defended that heavily.

Had a look at the save now. Militarily we need more catapults. We have 3 and this will not be enough. Maybe I would consider to build one trireme in Nidaros. This takes 5 turns, but will save our fishing nets there. A road from Upps westwards over the hills towards the Mongol city would be one of my priorities.

I am torn about keeping or razing Khan's cities. We are already down to 60%. Each city will add maintenance and will reduce our science. I am quite sure that we are already backward to the other civs in this game, so I do not know whether we can afford taking more cities until we have COL. What is everybody else thinking on this ?

My mantra is: when in doubt, raze away. Our main objective is to neutralise Kahn. The other factor in this is that there is nobody south of Khan who is going to expand into his vaccuum so we can take our time resettling there at the pace that suits us. That would be when the burgeoning power of our mighty Financial cottages starts to come online.

The only one I would definitely keep is his capital.

Meanwhile, what can we make of some of the odd looking graphs from the other teams?

I am torn about keeping or razing Khan's cities. We are already down to 60%. Each city will add maintenance and will reduce our science. I am quite sure that we are already backward to the other civs in this game, so I do not know whether we can afford taking more cities until we have COL. What is everybody else thinking on this ?

In the short term we will be able to maintain research with the gold we get from capturing/razing Khan's cities. In addition we now have our third gold mine back online. I would be inclined to keep Chehalis (Gems), Karakorum, Turfan and possibly Ning-Hsia.

Have we decided yet whether to eliminate Khan or just to weaken him? With our current military I'm not sure that we can take him down completely anyway so it may have to be the limited war in any case.

Btw I seem to remember reading in a thread somewhere that you can see the impact of keeping a city, on your gold, when you are asked if you want to keep the city. Not sure how true this is as I haven't experimented.

My mantra is: when in doubt, raze away. Our main objective is to neutralise Kahn. The other factor in this is that there is nobody south of Khan who is going to expand into his vaccuum so we can take our time resettling there at the pace that suits us.

Don't forget we have our arch expansionist civ just across the water. We don't want Ghandhi picking all the good spots.

Btw I seem to remember reading in a thread somewhere that you can see the impact of keeping a city, on your gold, when you are asked if you want to keep the city. Not sure how true this is as I haven't experimented.

It is true but only if you knew what your total was before capturing it. As soon as you win the city, your gold per turn changes to the new amount it would be with the city. If you raze the city your gold will change back to what it was before capture if you keep the city it goes to the new amount (only I think not while in rebellion?).

Gandhi needs a navy to be able to settle in Khan's vaccuum. If we can somehow intercept that - or defend our beach heads with snipers on the cliffs, then we would be safer when razing cities.

And even if Gandhi does slip a settler through, it should be a small job to take over a size 1 city with no culture defended only by the unit that accompanied the settler on the galley, so that shouldn't be a problem.

We don't have any coastal cities on that side so any navy we build to attack his troops on water will have to sail all the way around. We need to keep in mind that we can't get instant navy over there so if we want one we'll need to plan ahead (or build a city on the coast).

Oh well, we can't predict everything that is going to happen (otherwise it would be rather boring). Once the wa with Khan has started, we'll be able to assess how we are going. You never can tell whether the Random Number Gods will decimate our stacks or leave them relatively unscathed, and that will be a big factor on how far we take things.

The city at the gems we should keep. The gems are already connected, so it will give a good amount of gold. This city should pay for itself and we would have a city on that coast towards Gandhi. The others I think I would just raze and slowly resettle.

@Jenarie. As we still have open borders with Khan I would like to ask you to send the chariot towards his capitol during your set to see how many units he has there. Depending on that information we might consider to go for his capitol first.

The city at the gems we should keep. The gems are already connected, so it will give a good amount of gold. This city should pay for itself and we would have a city on that coast towards Gandhi. The others I think I would just raze and slowly resettle.

In General I am not opposed to Razing all these Cities But I am opposed to Keeping Samarqand, the Gem City. It may be good at the moment but with Gandhi's culture and any Navy, that City is going to be limited and I only has 1 production source. On the other hand if Gandhi were to take it in the long run, he will have a major money maker.

hey all...worse news...my computer is down so I have internet at school, but nothing else.

That means I can't play until it is fixed, but also means that I'll be gone for about 10 days after friday...spring break at school means I won't have any internet either for a week.

I'll definitely need a skip this first time around, and will likely need 2 skips, depending on how fast we play.

As for which cities to keep, right now I'd only want us to keep Karakorum and Chehalis. The others are all good for razing in my opinion. Once we learn CoL we could start expanding southward some more, but I think it would destroy our science rate way too fast right now.

@Htadus: I think the plan is to eventually allow Gandhi to take most of our current cities anyway to give him some good production sites.

Oh no, how will we survive without Thrallia, our so-called Youngest Geezer!

Looking forward to seeing what Jenarie's turns reveal, but I am glad things aren't moving that quickly because I'm having hard time shifting my focus between the various games that are going on around the place at the moment. Every time I look at this one again, I have to remind myself: Ragnar :viking:, Financial, Aggressive, Gandhi Space Race, Monarch.

While we're waiting for the next tactical decision, can someone tell me the story of how this team came to be called The Geezers? Shame we don't have the "geezer" smilie on this Board. I'll have to use this one instead :old:

:old:
Looking forward to seeing what Jenarie's turns reveal, but I am glad things aren't moving that quickly because I'm having hard time shifting my focus between the various games that are going on around the place at the moment.

Yes, I've noticed you posting in Aelf's Immortal thread; and in Sisiutil's ALC as well?

While we're waiting for the next tactical decision, can someone tell me the story of how this team came to be called The Geezers? Shame we don't have the "geezer" smilie on this Board. I'll have to use this one instead :old:

See our SGOTM01 thread. ;) I think :old: is about the nearest we've got for that. :lol:

In General I am not opposed to Razing all these Cities But I am opposed to Keeping Samarqand, the Gem City.

Do you mean Chehalis which is what I thought was the gem city? Certainly agree that Samarquand has to go.

0) Turn 170 - 50 AD

Changed research from 60% to 50%. Still get curency in 3 but go from -10gpt to -4 gpt (we have 13 gold atm).

Uppsala - Changed one citizen from forest (1f 2h) to the mine (1f 3h)

Nidaros - Moved one citizen from 1f 1h to 3h. City changes from growth in 29 sword in 4 to stagnant growth sword in 3. We don't have the happiness to grow here and are already at happiness cap so can't grow again unless we plan to whip it? I wasn't really sure what Htadus meant - this can be changed again next turn if not what was wanted.

I'm still completely lost as to what forces we want where. We are using a sword as city garrison (Nidaros)? Or is that meant to be moved south? I don't want to leave the capital with just one spear in it so not sure what the plan is here. Fortified him for now... thinking build axe as city garrison after current sword build finishes?

Moved the sword/cat/cat/axe/spear stack south to signed hill.

Sam did a great job getting rid of Gandhi I can't find sign of him anywhere other then the two boats. :)

I see the edge of orange culture to the west of Old Sarai (near workboat) but I don't think we can reach it.

1) Turn 171 - 65 AD

IBT: Taoism is founded in Bombay. We can see it across the channel.

Internal debate re what to do with the worker by Iron Sheep. Sam posted he was headed for the sheep which helped. Decided to road which will be used to connect the cities and the sheep. I wouldn't normally but since we'll need a road there anyway this way we won't lose a worker turn moving back up there again later.

No clue what to do with all these troops. Leaving most of them where they are this turn in hopes Mark will have a better idea where he wants them. Part of the reason our money situation is so bad atm is that we are already paying 3gpt unit supply for all the units outside our boarders besides the 9 gpt we are paying for amount of units. Maybe we should move some of them back into our territory until we know it is time to declare?

Gold Mine finishes rebuild this turn which puts us breaking even at 50%.

Khan:
Turfan - 2 archers
Karakorum (9 40%) - 4 archers
New Sarai (6) - 2 archers, 1 keshik
Tabriz (1) - 1 archer, 1 keshik
Samargand (2) - 1 archer, 1 keshik
Chehalas (3) - ?
Old Sarai (6) - ?
Beshbalik (6) - ?
Ning-hsia (6) - ?

Didn't think to check Turfan culture before moving but it does have a religion so it probably has some culture defense as well. You can see it on Sam's save - not sure if I'm allowed to load that one after playing this one so didn't.

Re Chehalas/Samargand - Chehalis only has one of the gems in fat cross and Samargand is fighting culture war with Gandhi so I think both should go and we should found a new city there - probably in the location of Thrallia's (?) culture city flag.

Saving here without hitting end turn so still can make changes as needed. Haven't checked cities yet for MM just wanted to get the info re Khan's cities up since I played later then I'd expected due to some things today that took longer then I'd planned.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/54188/Geezers_AD-0065.CivWarlordsSave

:old:

Yes, I've noticed you posting in Aelf's Immortal thread; and in Sisiutil's ALC as well?

Plus I am doing WOTM7 - Immortal Cyrus :eek:

Ah, I see the chain of logic leading to the "Geezers" name. It's kind of funny to see everyone going on about how they are so new to the game. Less than a year ago and you're all veterans now.

Tricky times, Jenarie. I'll have another look at the saved game tomorrow morning and let you you know what I think, although you may have moved on by then.

Jenarie,

You read my comments clearly about mm. :goodjob: For the future, Food comes before others since growth is power in the bigining. So sooner we can assign the Iron-Sheep the pastured sheep, sooner it will be able to help us out. It really is power house waiting to happen.

As for builds, please make swords since they will give us the best counter to what kahn got.

Top Bottom