SGOTM 04 - Geezers

I just looked at the save and here are my thoughts:

Iron-Sheep: Let the worker from here go and speed up the road with the other worker, follow up with both building the pasture. Then one should go back to build a cottage on the river for Iron-Sheep and the other buils farm on food for Yayoui. Rax should be next.

I would place the axe from El-Do where the sword is at and bring the sword to the front by New Sarai so on the first turn they can get in side the border, east of the river. I would bring the Sword, cat and the chariot that is nearby New Sarai. Please bring the sword from Cap to the same location too. No one can bring a unit to the Capital with out at least a 3 turns and we will have a new unit there in time. The main force should start there and move south to Turfan and The capital. While others are fighting, the blocking team should move next to the capital and bombard it. Hummmm may be they should gather where the pillage team is at.???

I thought to start moving south at the end of my turnset - maybe around turn 7ish timing it to arrive at turn 10 - to save costs. The more we move out now the more gpt we waste since if I'm not declaring they'd just sit there.

Alternately if you guys think we have enough troops to declare sooner I'm happy to turn over early... could play 5 and then let Mark take over. I don't mind ending early but prefer not to be the one to start the war.

I think it is more ideal if you do play out your ten turns because that is all part of the fun of the game, but I will leave it up to the others who have played more succession games to decide what the best approach is.

Karakorum with just 4 archers looks very tempting. :D Will have a look in the evening when I am back home.

@ play 5 or 10 as you like. I think you will not need to dow on Khan within your 10 turns.

If we agree to go for Khan's capital first I would like to have 4 cats, 6 swords, 2 axes and a spear with Medic I.

I thought to start moving south at the end of my turnset - maybe around turn 7ish timing it to arrive at turn 10 - to save costs. The more we move out now the more gpt we waste since if I'm not declaring they'd just sit there.

Alternately if you guys think we have enough troops to declare sooner I'm happy to turn over early... could play 5 and then let Mark take over. I don't mind ending early but prefer not to be the one to start the war.

You should play your turns. You won't have to DOW most likely. And if he demand something, by all means DON'T.:D Then you can go after him if he DOW. Just remember to pillage his Horses.

@ Mark: I would prefer to take out that first city with the Keshik that way we wont have to worry about getting attacked on the run. Oh yeah dont forget to take a Spear with the New Sarai team.

Start the war! Leave Markh with a hospital-pass save that is right in the middle of a precarious battle! Make him sweat a bit so he can show us what he is made of!

Start the war! Leave Markh with a hospital-pass save that is right in the middle of a precarious battle! Make him sweat a bit so he can show us what he is made of!

Ahem! I believe we are supposed to be a team here. :p Deliberately giving hospital passes doesn't strike me as the best of team tactics.

Internal debate re what to do with the worker by Iron Sheep. Sam posted he was headed for the sheep which helped. Decided to road which will be used to connect the cities and the sheep.

Personally I tend to find it's normally better to complete the resource enabler, in this case the pasture, and then connect it. In this case it means that the pasture can be worked for food whilst the road is being built. I believe this is best practice. ;)

Iron-Sheep: Let the worker from here go and speed up the road with the other worker, follow up with both building the pasture. Then one should go back to build a cottage on the river for Iron-Sheep and the other buils farm on food for Yayoui. Rax should be next.

I would stop the existing worker building the road and start on the pasture. The new worker from IronSheep can continue the partially built cottage immediately to the W of IronSheep.

I would place the axe from El-Do where the sword is at and bring the sword to the front by New Sarai so on the first turn they can get in side the border, east of the river. I would bring the Sword, cat near Uppsala (?) and the chariot next to Tabriz (?) that is nearby New Sarai. Please bring the sword from Cap to the same location too. No one can bring a unit to the Capital with out at least a 3 turns and we will have a new unit there in time. The main force should start there and move south to Turfan and The capital. While others are fighting, the blocking team should move next to the capital and bombard it. Hummmm may be they should gather where the pillage team is at.???

Items in bold are what I think you mean. The spear from El Do should go on our third gold mine. We can virtually guarantee that the keshik in Samarqand will go pillaging. We'll probably lose El Do's corn but that's better than the gold.

Personally I tend to find it's normally better to complete the resource enabler, in this case the pasture, and then connect it. In this case it means that the pasture can be worked for food whilst the road is being built. I believe this is best practice. ;)

I agree with this in every instance except for hills... I don't like to lose a turn moving to the same tile twice so if I know I'll need a road on a tile soon it seems to me to make sense to build it the first time through.

I agree with this in every instance except for hills... I don't like to lose a turn moving to the same tile twice so if I know I'll need a road on a tile soon it seems to me to make sense to build it the first time through.

It's a swings and roundabouts thing. No big deal. ;)

Looks like our military will be in place to deal with Khan shortly :)

its a shame I'll have to miss out on all the excitement from Khan :( I fully expect that when I can get online again Khan will be almost a footnote, and that by the time I can play again we'll have hopefully gotten our GP farm up and won't be so far behind Gandhi. Goodnight he's teching fast...Philo in 65AD?! Perhaps the biggest problem in this game won't be getting Gandhi to space, it'll be staying alive that long!

Good luck everyone!

oh, and @Jenarie: don't be afraid to play out your entire turnset, even if it means encountering rough times...those are the times you'll learn the most :) Not to mention, it would be very hard for any of us to really damage the game badly within just 10 turns unless they were trying to break us! :)

Had a look at the save. We will need more cats and swords. I maybe start the war, but the next one, Htadus :goodjob: will have the fun. I do not think that the Keshiks can do much. They have no movement handicaps, but a spear and another unit should be enough to take them down if Khan moves them out his cities. Furthermore I would not fear this as we could rush a spear in each threatened city if necessary.

I would go straight for the capital and raze it. It will rip his empire apart. Keeping it would be much too costly. We anyway do not want to stay on this island. :)

I am sitting here in suspense waiting to find out what is going to happen next! I am really not opposed to razing cities because Khan doesn't have any wonders or holy cities that will be destroyed and we could always resettle later.

If anyone sees this in the next half hour please answer.

I don't understand the assault/block and Pillage team signs. I think they were made before we decided to go after the capital though but the catapults are with the assault team and on the wrong side. I think the attack team for capital needs to be on pillage sign or they will be attacking across a river? If I don't hear from anyone I will go ahead and move them and hope there wasn't a really good reason I'm not seeing that they were on the other side.

If anyone sees this in the next half hour please answer.

I don't understand the assault/block and Pillage team signs. I think they were made before we decided to go after the capital though but the catapults are with the assault team and on the wrong side. I think the attack team for capital needs to be on pillage sign or they will be attacking across a river? If I don't hear from anyone I will go ahead and move them and hope there wasn't a really good reason I'm not seeing that they were on the other side.

I think your decision to move those units to the Pillage site is correct. The assault team from the Pillage site will need one turn less before it can attack Karakorum.

0) Turn 170 - 50 AD

Changed research from 60% to 50%. Still get curency in 3 but go from -10gpt to -4 gpt (we have 13 gold atm).

Uppsala - Changed one citizen from forest (1f 2h) to the mine (1f 3h)

Nidaros - Moved one citizen from 1f 1h to 3h. City changes from growth in 29 sword in 4 to stagnant growth sword in 3.

Moved the sword/cat/cat/axe/spear stack south to signed hill.

Sam did a great job getting rid of Gandhi I can't find sign of him anywhere other then the two boats.

There is the edge of orange culture to the west of Old Sarai (near workboat) but I don't think we can reach it.

1) Turn 171 - 65 AD

IBT: Taoism is founded in Bombay visable across the channel.

Gold Mine finishes rebuild this turn which puts us breaking even at 50%.

2) Turn 172 - 80 AD

IBT: Khan converts to Confucianism (Gandhi's religion)!

Iron Sheep - Worker comple ---> Barracks

3) Turn 173 - 95 AD

IBT: Chichen Itza has been built in a far away land.

Research: Currency finishes ---> Code of Laws
Currency gives us +2 gpt. Research stays at 50% since changing to 60% results in -6gpt (we have 8g). Unit cost is up to 11gpt plus 3gpt for upkeep.

Nidaros - Swordsman complete ---> Axeman for city garrison (3)
I didn't take suggestion to move El Dorado axeman over since Gandhi can attack El Dorado at any time and we don't want to have to rebuild the gold mines again. Would have made archer in two but didn't since I'm the only one that likes archers.

Khan update (seen this turn):

Turfan (?) - ?
Karakorum (40%) - 5 archers
New Sarai (0%) - 2 archer / 1 Keshik
Tabriz (0%) - 1 archer / 1 Keshik
Samargand (0%) - 1 archer / 1 Keshik
Chehalis (0%) - 2 archers
Old Sarai (50%) - 2 archers
Beshbalik (50%) - 2 archers
Ning-hsia (?) - ?
Tiflis - built on tiny SW island on stones

He also has two archers wandering north toward our gold mines. They don't have a settler with them so I'm wondering what he's doing... with him now sharing a religion with Gandhi he may declare before we do. We are +3 but cautious.

Khan has metal casting and calendar but won't trade them. He also has horseback riding which he will trade but we have nothing to offer.

4) Turn 174 - 110 AD

IBT: Christianity founded in a distant land.

Tiflis (0%) - 1 archer / 1 galley
Turfan (50%) - 2 archers
1 archer on horses between capital and Turfan (from capital which is down to 4 archers instead of 5 archers)

5) Turn 175 - 125 AD

IBT: Gandhi builds Hanging Gardens in Bombay (which also has Stonehenge).

I start moving more troops south out of our borders. We immediately lose 2gpt which makes us break even at 50% research. Currently: Unit cost = 11 gpt & Unit Supply = 5 gpt with more troops in production. We need our cities to grow to cover this... good news is that when sheep are connected we'll lose our unhealthiness in capital.

Uppsala due to grow in 1 so pop rush (2) catapult started last turn so it can start south sooner and not miss the party.

6) Turn 176 - 140 AD

Nidaros - Finishes Axeman ---> Trading Post (5)
We have the happiness to grow now and eventually we'll want to build boats. Will probably whip this next turn and then get back to building troops as city grows.

El Dorado-sala - Finishes spearman ---> Swordsman
I want to build market to take advantage of all the gold but don't think we have enough troops so build one more swordsman first.

Uppsala - Finishes Catapult ---> Spearman (1)
I'm sending one of the two axes in the city south with the cat and a sword that was on the way south from further north so spear will replace it as city garrison. Spearman in 1 due to whip overflow (51/52 hammers are overflow).

Our military situation is bothering me because without extensive roads it will take these new troops forever to get to the battlefield. Everything that was already built is already moving and will be there on my last turn but I'm not sure how much the new stuff will help us except to make us more secure vs Gandhi in the north as we attack in the south. Something seems wrong and I'm hoping I didn't miss something that was so obvious everyone assumed it and didn't mention it.

Re-read Htadus battle plan which helped. I reread back since Sam's turn before starting but the battle plan post was further back then I'd gone (four pages!)... luckily my paranoia that I was missing something paid off since I was. I'll move some troops toward the block sign but not cats since those will need to be in on the capital attack.

Khan:
Ning-hsia (50%) - 1 archer
1 archer on the iron (which isn't connected or even in cultural borders yet). The 50% is due to walls - there doesn't seem to be any culture here.

Forgot to mention it earlier but Gandhi's trireme turned north without pillaging and is up by Yayoi now.

Khan will give us spices or sheep for gold. We'll have sheep hooked up soon. Tempted to take the spice deal but don't as it may help him more then us at this point - we don't have any cities waiting to grow due to happiness atm. I really think roading those gold mines was important defensively but thinking that a demand will most likely come soon now that we have something he wants. Checking the power graph... our power is going up but we aren't gaining on Khan or Gandhi - they are also still building troops. Khan is in the lead but Gandhi is right behind him and we are down quite a bit.

7) Turn 177 - 155 AD

Uppsala - Spearman completed ---> Catapult (6)

Iron Sheep - we only have a warrior defending this city. Change Nidaros from Trading Post (4) to Axeman (3) - can decide if should rush trading post after axe finishes. Moving Nidaros Axe north to Iron Sheep - will arrive in 3.

Workboat was trying to explore north to see some of Gandhi's land but Gandhi has Trirmene so turning him around to hide in Khan area. If I could sneak him past the Trirmene would be worth suicide to see more of Gandhi's land but not letting him die without revealing something first if I can help it. :)

Research: Code of Laws due in 8 but we won't be able to sustain it. Will need to move research to 40% soon while will add one turn. Military is costing us 21gpt now - we need to declare soon even if we aren't ready to finish it (which I think we will still be short troops).

8) Turn 178 - 170 AD

IBT: Parthenon built in a far away land

Khan update (seen this turn):

Turfan (50%) - 2 archers
Karakorum (50%) - 3 archers
New Sarai (20%) - 2 archers / 1 Keshik
Tabriz (0%) - 2 archers
Samargand (0%) - 1 archer / 1 Keshik
Chehalis (?) - ? [last seen: (0%) - 2 archers]
Old Sarai (50%) - 2 archers
Beshbalik (?) - ? [last seen: (50%) - 2 archers]
Ning-hsia (50%) - 2 archers
Tiflis (?) - ? [last seen: (0%) - 1 archer / 1 galley]

Although +2, Khan is still annoyed toward Gandhi. Khan is +3 and cautious with us.

9) Turn 179 - 185 AD

Gandhi's trirmene turned around and is heading south again. It is near Nidaros and the fishing nets it ignored last time. This is same spot it turned around so it may not be aware the nets are there if it hasn't explored farther south previously.

Khan intel:
Turfan (50%) - 2 archers / 1 settler
Beshbalik (50%) - 2 archers
no other changes

10) Turn 180 - 200 AD

Gandhi gets the fishing boats. :( Nidaros is starving so I whip trading post so that Mark can build a navy here if he decides it would be helpful. We'll need another workboat but no point atm.

Bah after evading Gandhi for several turns try again to move the workboat north to spy and run right into his trirmene. He'll kill it on next turn. :(

The assault/block flag has one axeman and one spearman which will arrive next turn.
The pillage team flag has the majority of our army - almost the army Mark had hoped for to take capital... I think it should be enough and there are three chariots closeby with moves not used as pillagers/spys/whatever.

Research rate will need to be adjusted either this turn or next.

The REAL Save: http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/54188/Geezers_AD-0200.CivWarlordsSave

Good work, Jenarie. :goodjob:

Have you submitted it yet? I can't see it on the progress graphs.

I wonder when the first team will get Ghandi to space.

Top Bottom