SGOTM 04 - Geezers

Note to team: We should try to get Mehmed into FR as well, so he'll be willing to trade with Gandhi...doing that should turn Mehmed and Hannibal into worst enemies, slowing them down and allowing Gandhi to catch up.

I tried this a couple turns ago but he wasn't interested. Agree we should definately keep trying though.

Scotland Yard in Vienne sounds good. Actually I never used spies before. I am curious to see how it works.

Roster update :

Sam
Htadus
Mark
Jenarie - just played
Harbourboy - UP
Thrallia - on deck

Me already? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to the order of play. The pace must be picking up. I'll see what I can do in the next day or so.

I will actually need to be skipped until further notice...I'm gonna be out of town for the next few days at my brother's graduation...and while I'll be in town for about 3-5 days after that, I don't think I'll have time to play during that time, then I'll be going on a cruise till June 11th. For all I know, we'll have lost by then lol. If not, I can start playing again at that time.

I can keep posting and advising until May 31st though...after that, I'll be out of internet range.

We're in trouble.

1810 AD:

IBT: Isabella declares war!

1811 AD: Assembly line => Physics. There are artillery stationed outside Bagacum. Not much can actually be done as we don’t have anything that can take on artillery head to head and none of our civics allow rushing. Turn down science to get gold for upgrading to infantry.

IBT: Isabella starts pillaging.

1812 AD: still not much can be done without suffering heavy losses. Decide that pillaging is better than undefended cities at this point.

IBT: Gandhi lands 3 cavalry near New Karakorum to start a pillaging spree. Meanwhile near Bagacum, there are 5 artillery, 7 Cavalry, 3 cannons and 3 grenadiers.

1813 AD: Help!

There's no point having cities with all the improvements destroyed. :mad: I suggest switching to Slavery :)whipped:) & Nationhood (Drafting). It'll take three turns of anarchy but probably worth it. Either one of them will take two turns anyway. If you only want to do one then I suggest taking Nationhood over Slavery as that only give unhappiness.

Move the grens, cannons, pikes and spears from Birka towards Bagacum. One turns takes them to a hill. Move the cannons ,spear and knight from Camulodunum towards Bagacum. One turn also conveniently takes them to a hill. :) I think you should probably have started doing some of this reinforcement earlier but I understand the reluctance to attack Izzy's stack.

As far as Ghandhi goes it may be worth evacuating New Karakorum of the grens and then attacking with the chariot so that the cavalry take it instead of pillaging. Just pray he doesn't raze it. Alternatively reinforce from New Sarai & Napa Valley. We just don't want Ghandhi razing all those lovely towns.

EDIT: Another possibility would be to upload your latest save to this thread so that we can have a look at it to see exactly where everything is.

I'm at work now so can't upload the save until the weekend now, but just about everything is the same as it was 3 turns ago, other than that Isabella has gone nuts. It's not actually certain that she will attack Bagacum as there is one artillery heading for the city in the southern corner and her cavalry move so fast they could be going anywhere. There are two infantry in Bagacum now and enough cash to upgrade another 3 more grenadiers this turn.

I guess we need to weigh up the benefits of a civic change with the impact of the anarchy. 3 turns will be a long time in a battle, but then again, with no ability to rush buy, 3 turns isn't producing much anyway (as nothing much will complete building in that time). What will be the impact of 3 turns of anarchy on our cash flow?

Honestly though, if she attacks with all her artillery at once, Bagacum is doomed. Two infantry will soon be toast once they get damaged. Is there any point counterattacking with the cannons first - so that at least her stack is not at full strength? Given that cannons are not much use on defense?

Actually, now that I think about, you probably should see the exact save before deciding. This could be a real turning point in the game and there is probably one good tactic that we need to get us through.

Where is the wise and mighty Hawk when you need him?

Please upload the save or post it here.

Izzy always is a pain. You can never trust her. However I expected her to attack much earlier.

Where is the wise and mighty Hawk when you need him?

The-Hawk gives strategic advice as he is an observer with limited time constraints. :) Tactical decisions, like this, are our problem. :p TBH that's how it should be. :D

I agree with mark that it would be helpful to see the save.

EDIT: I feel we need to deal with the Izzy problem quickly before any of the other AI decide to dogpile us. :eek:

OK - I will be able to post the save in around 8 hours time so you can pore over the infinitesimal details with a view to completing the remaining 7 turns over the weekend.

Here's an image of Izzy's forces for those of you who can't look at the save right now.

Spoiler Izzy Forces at 1813 AD :

That arty on our hill is annoying. Just where I suggested moving the reinforcements from Birka. :mad:

On the civics front I still suggest switching to Nationhood (2 turns anarchy) which will allow us to draft up to 3 troops per turn. On reflection there is probably no advantage to Slavery. I had forgotten how strong arty were. :cry:

Yes, we need some sort of very very clever anti-artillery manoeuvre.

What is the best outcome we can really hope for from this position?

I am at work, so I can look at the save in about 4 -5 hours. I cannot remember. Are we in slavery ?

In such conditions I normally whip artillery units as much as I can if I feel I am short of them. You have to hurt the stacks and that is best done with siege units. If you hurt them enough normally the AI sends back the units for healing, so you can get some breath. Still I have to look at the save to make a concrete statement how I would handle our situation. I will do that in the evening.

I am at work, so I can look at the save in about 4 -5 hours. I cannot remember. Are we in slavery ?

In such conditions I normally whip artillery units as much as I can if I feel I am short of them. You have to hurt the stacks and that is best done with siege units.

We are not in Slavery. We also don't have artillery. :( It's Izzy who has the artillery even though the tech screen still says that she can research artillery. :confused: :cry:

We are not in Slavery. We also don't have artillery. :( It's Izzy who has the artillery even though the tech screen still says that she can research artillery. :confused: :cry:

With artillery units I meant any offensive siege units. :)

ok had a look at the save.

Izzy has already bombarded Bagacum to 0% or there was none, so she will attack next turn with the stack that is already at the city. I would use one or two cannons on the three arties that are already in front of Bagacum. The bigger stack will unite with that one I think. When they do use the other two cannons on that stack.
Move all other cannons from the other cities towards Bagacum.
From Birka you can send the cav to join the forces in Bagacum still this turn. Furthermore I would move 2 rifles and all the grens from Birka on a safe route towards Bagacum to reach the city in two.
In Bagacum I would upgrade the two grens with combat 1+2 to infantries still this turn and I would fortify the other two infantries.

Civics : I am not sure what will be better nationhood or slavery, but we should change to one of the two.

Seems like you will some fun now.:)

Top Bottom