SGOTM 04 - Geezers

Nicely done turnset Jenarie. :goodjob: I don't think you did anything to reproach yourself about.

Somewhat disconcerting to realise that Izzy will have tanks shortly. :eek:

From my experiences last turnset I think your mainly going to be fending off pillagers with possibly the occasional stack.

I think our priority should be building up our power so that we can more easily defend plus possibly even get enough power to counter attack Isabella. She still wants a city for peace and (as others have mentioned previously) probably won't change her mind until we either take one of her cities or at least have enough of a military for her to consider us a threat.

We have more military then needed in the old country... if there is some way we can move them across that would be helpful as well but Gandhi pretty much rules the ocean at this point.

We should also consider deleting some of the units that are so old we will never be able to afford to upgrade them (chariot, swordsman, etc) since they still cost upkeep. I suicided a chariot last turnset hoping to distract from a better unit but really they are a waste of gold imo.

I think Jenarie mostly summed it up. I'm not quite so convinced about deleting old units. I was certainly glad to find a couple of axes to upgrade during my turnset when I was stuck for units. ;)

As Jenarie noticed arty can be helpful, at least against Ghandhi, so don't just build infantry. One or two spies might be helpful for intelligence gathering and pillaging if you can squeeze them in. Maybe one in our old lands?

Bear in mind that Izzy may turn up with some tanks.

Artillery are the best. In G-Minor 19, I am miles behind on tech, with only a few years left to achieve a conquest victory on Monarch and all I am building are Artillery. A stack of Artillery can take down anything, especially if you sneak in a few promotions.

Good job Jenarie.

I think unles we try to do something like taking the "good defense" route and knock on someones door (what do we have to loose), it is going to be just defending against tanks to a slow death.

@Harbourboy. Arties are just outstanding, are they not? Got to love em.

You were right - just not the one we wanted!

:lol: Seriously though, who would have thought that Ghandhi would transform himself into a Monty. I do wonder how Ghandhi seems to stay top of the power rankings. :confused: Maybe there was some change made to the game to achieve this and it had the side effect of making Ghandhi a gung ho war civ.

IBT: Ghandi bombards various coastal cities

1861 AD: Very uneventful.

IBT: Ghandi and Isabella bombard various coastal cities

1862 AD: Bigacum: Artillery => Artillery. Nothing else of interest.

IBT: More bombarding. Surely these coastal cities are all at 0% by now? Not much else, except oh, Isabella build Apollo Programme. All the cool civs are doing that.

1863 AD: Spy reveals that Isabella has 9 artillery waiting in Seville (with CR2). The weak garrison in Santiago is just a clever Spanish feint. Kill 2 marauding Spanish cavalry outside Bagacum.

IBT: Not much

1864 AD: More activity around Bagacum so draft an Infantry there. Kill an Indian cavalry near New Sarai.

IBT: More bombarding, plus Gandhi massing his “troops” near New Sarai. Send them to work for the Indian NASA, you clown!

1865 AD: Napa Valley: Cavalry => Grocer. Kill another Spanish cavalry near Bagacum.

IBT: Antonin Dvorak, the composer with the unphonetic surname, is born in Bibracte. I wonder what the best use of his musical talents would be? Sing a lullaby for Gandhi?

1866 AD: Kill 3 cavalry and a cannon near New Sarai. Oliver Cromwell is born a couple of hundred years too late in Napa Valley. Spy reveals that Isabella does not have much up her sleeve once you get past those 9 artillery. If we could get enough of a stack we could blitz her.

1867 AD: Vienne: Artillery => Cavalry

1868 AD: Nothing at all!

IBT: Railroad => Combustion

1869 AD: Killed a Spanish cavalry near Bagacum. The cavalry kill:loss ratio for us is now 76:2. Surely that great statistic must be worth some bonus points for us.

IBT: Gandhi lands 5 cavalry and a cannon outside Vienne….

1870 AD: New Sarai: Cavalry => Artillery.

The rest of the moves for 1870 have been left open so that the new Gandhi invasion at Vienne can be dealt with as one complete campaign.

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/civ4sgotm4/Geezers_SG004_AD1870_01.CivWarlordsSave

IBT: Antonin Dvorak, the composer with the unphonetic surname, is born in Bibracte. I wonder what the best use of his musical talents would be? Sing a lullaby for Gandhi?

Options are:
1) Join = +3 gold, +3 beakers, +14 culture per turn
2) +1836 beakers into Radio
3) +6000 culture bomb
4) Save for golden age

I vote join... the sooner the better.
My second choice would be culture bomb in one of the cities on Isabella's border to hopefully push it back a bit.

We could also sorta combine that and join it to one of the cities on the border to get a little culture plus the gold and beakers per turn.

Everything looks really good! You managed to get our power rating up a bit which I think is going to be important. I think we should focus on continuing that as we move and hopefully soon send an attack force South to scare Isabella into peace.

Wow just noticed... Hannibal and Mehmed both passed Gandhi on power... Hannibal with a huge spike a few years back.

I always find the culture bomb to be the most satisfying, although that doesn't necessarily mean it would be the most optimal in this situation.

Posted by Hdatus on first page:

You were right - just not the one we wanted!

Ouch.:D This was not what I had in mind. Who knows what was done to AI DNA.:lol:

Good job by the way and I think we should draw out those Artilary to the open ground or actually catch them in the city. They do not get any benefits from the promotions.

Ok I've got it. I'll have a closer look at the save later today. What do we want to research after Combustion?

Ok I've got it. I'll have a closer look at the save later today. What do we want to research after Combustion?

What about flight ? Then we could fly over units from the old lands, although I do not know whether we have all prerequisites already for flight. This would enable us to draft some more units and go for Izzy a little sooner.

I didn't get a chance to look at this last night. I'll try and get to it this evening.

What about flight ? Then we could fly over units from the old lands, although I do not know whether we have all prerequisites already for flight. This would enable us to draft some more units and go for Izzy a little sooner.

This sounds a nice idea. Another alternative would be to research Rocketry for gunships to counter armour. Both of these seem to require the same amount of beakers but the estimate for Flight is 13 turns as opposed to 11 turns for Rocketry. :confused:

I'm tempted by Rocketry but possibility of using airports to move our troops from our southern lands sounds pretty good as well.

No gunship without flight. You need both flight and rocketry to build gunships. Rocketry would open up SAMs :) though, but I think we do not need those that urgently.

Seems to me like survival is our strategic mission now. Given that, we might want to give Izzy a city (Birka?) for peace. If she brings that arty stack to our lands, we will have a problem. Once we have peace, I would research rockets for SAM's, then build defensive military almost exclusively.

I can't imagine we will ever be able to reign Hannibal and Mehmed both in. I also can't see Ghandi catching up and launching, although (if it were me) I would abandon the original continent and hope it increases his tech pace. Very unlikely that would work, mostly a move of desperation. Also it will decrease our chances of survival (at some point Izzy might decide to evict us from the new lands :( ).

Markh, I agree with your hindsight. I suspect the winners of this contest will have gone into an aggressive campaign of conquest early. Basically kill/stunt all the AI's, get ahead of Ghandi on power with the hope it reduces his stomach for attacking. I.e. if Ghandi doesn't see much hope in conquest, he would switch to teching.

Markh, I agree with your hindsight. I suspect the winners of this contest will have gone into an aggressive campaign of conquest early. Basically kill/stunt all the AI's, get ahead of Ghandi on power with the hope it reduces his stomach for attacking. I.e. if Ghandi doesn't see much hope in conquest, he would switch to teching.

I hoped there were more ways to win/lose this, but looking back there is no much other way to achieve the goal at least in our game. If you look at Hannibal, Carthage is in an awesome location. No wonder he vassalized Washington that early. Copper right beside his front door plus his traits, well..... . Guessing at the graphs I think CRC are just rolling over the other continent. According to their culture graphs they abandoned the starting position very early and that would have been the only chance to hit Hannibal.

To be honest we have no chance to achieve the goal. Hannibal will leave this planet first and there is not much we can do about it, but of course still we will play this game to the end. My goal is to submit a final save first of all teams, so everybody be prepared to be :whipped:

It is great fun to play in this team. Nice and civilized discussions. :goodjob:

Since we are so sure that we can not get G to launch, lets make this an excersise to come back from where we are at and take it as far as we can in a conquest path......or loose.

If Izzies arti show up and get caught in the open, we can take them out. I do not see why we should be worried about her showing up with the stack. If we are going to loose a City to her, we can give up a city at that point and go for peace. Every city we have can potentially build us units. So lets not hurry to sue for peace. And we should go on the offence not defense as The-Hawk recommend. We are not that weak and what do we have to loose?

Top Bottom