SGOTM 04 - Trash Team

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

OK - this is a 'got it'. I'm uncertain of my RL schedule tomorrow (my Friday), but aim to play within 48 hours (by my Saturday afternoon).

In the interim, I'd be happy to receive any further input.

2. cabert

cabert Big mouth

further input : watch out for domination limit. If we keep using the culture slider it may come sooner than expected.

3. MrMahk

MrMahk Warlord

Cam,

I have been building up forces and have organized them into 3 stacks.

The first is NW of Spain, in an old Celtic city:

The next is a sea-borne force SW of Spain off of our coast:

The last is still under construction, with a few transports and battleships on the way, SE of Spain off of our coast:

Due to the fact that when I started my turnset, 2 fighters were our only anti-air force, I built 3 carriers; 2 of which are/are headed to the SW fleet and the last is with the SE fleet. (Another note, there are many units with moves still in the queue as I figured they would get where they needed to be within my turnset). I have many fighters being built which can then be loaded onto the carriers.

The last thing I wanted to point out (and this is the reason I said it would be a "Splendid little war"):

Happy hunting!

4. patagonia

patagonia Emperor

Given the obscenity of that power graph, is it worth waiting to war with Isabella until Gandhi's taken a bit more of our land?

I'm not sure how close we are to the domination limit, but as Cabert warned, we'll likely pick up quite a few tiles off the Spanish and it's not as if she's likely to launch anytime soon...

5. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

Thanks for the feedback guys - those screenies are helpful.

I am still undecided about what to do about Isabella, but although Mr. Mahk has got us in a position to decimate Spain, I am tentatively leaning towards the 'wait and see' approach too. It might actually push Gandhi along if he has a bit of Space Race competition rather than having Isabella join Brennus and Mehmed in the 'uncompetitive' stakes :undecide:.

6. cabert

cabert Big mouth

Further input II : stop using the culture slider!
    Check the unhappy cities, I'm pretty sure there are only a handful with happiness problems.
    Those could be solved by :
    - $rushing happiness buildings (missionaries also are happiness buildings ;))
    - trading for more happiness resources
    - starving those cities if no real solution is available.

further input III : go back to science
    If we want to help gandhi further, we need to get back in the tech race.
    Internet is the easy way for us, since we don't need to build any space part.
    Keep enough money in the bank to sabotage a space project ;).

further input IV : spying
    We really need to know what spain is up to.
    I didn't do much in this area, but I suggest noting the buildings in every spanish city + turns left, to have a complete knowledge of the space race.
    We also need to spy on brennus an mehmed, of course.

7. MrMahk

MrMahk Warlord

As of my set, we had 2 spies on Gandhi, 1 in Spain, and 1 on Mehmed. I agree it's a good idea to move one of them from Gandhi to Brennus.

8. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

[Edit] Images removed. [/Edit]

Well, after a few days of waiting you'll all be delighted to know that this (below) is the outcome of my game;

Unfortunately every time I finish my first turn the game crashes.

My first turn? I got back into the tech game, and ramped :science: up to 70%. I went through the cities, and noted health difficulties with several and opted for Grocer or Aqueduct builds. Jelling and Birka were evicted of troops in light of Indian invasion.

Apologies - I hope Patagonia's machine has more luck than mine. I haven't saved, and Patagonia can take it from Mr. Mahk's last save.

9. patagonia

patagonia Emperor

Just tried to play on from Mr Mahk's save and got the same message as Cam.

:(

10. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Cam_H: if you haven't done so already could you pm AlanH to advise him of the technical hitch.

I wonder if Mr Mahk has any autosaves from his set in case its just the final save that's naff.

11. MrMahk

MrMahk Warlord

Unfortunately I have played a few games since my turns, so the autosaves for those are coming up. Unless there is some other way to find old autosaves that I don't know about?

12. Gyathaar

Gyathaar Warlock Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

I can prolly get past the crash (most likely the known crash bug with an AI worker who has nothing to do)

But I need a save right before you want to press enter... so if you plan to make any deals etc, then do those, save and upload..

13. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

Gyathaar,

Thanks for your offer :) ... as requested, the new save has been uploaded.

14. Gyathaar

Gyathaar Warlock Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

Work completed in Bactrian,Verlamion, IBT.. I set to build Gold.. so change them..

Lots of Gandhi units moved around.. so look around :)

Here is your Session Turn Log from 1900 AD to 1901 AD:

Turn 510, 1900 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Tabriz!
    Turn 510, 1900 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Samarqand!
    Turn 510, 1900 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Birka!
    Turn 510, 1900 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Birka!
    Turn 510, 1900 AD: Clearing a Forest has created 24 ? for Bibracte.
    Turn 510, 1900 AD: The borders of Kerkouane have expanded!
    Turn 510, 1900 AD: Gandhi has reduced your defenses in Jelling to 0%!
    Turn 510, 1900 AD: Birka (Trash Team) has been captured by the Indian Empire!!!
    Turn 510, 1900 AD: A Fishing Boats has been destroyed by a marauding Indian Submarine!

Turn 511, 1901 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Tabriz!
    Turn 511, 1901 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Samarqand!
    Turn 511, 1901 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Jelling!
    Turn 511, 1901 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Jelling!

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/civ4sgotm4/Trash_Team_SG004_AD1901_01.CivWarlordsSave

15. cabert

cabert Big mouth

thanks a lot gyathaar! You're gandalf's descendant obviously:goodjob:.
    Hopefully, we can play for than half a turn without your help next time :lol:

edit : roster
    Weekend being over, I guess cam's not going to play further. Tthat would put patagonia up?

16. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

Thanks a ton Gyathaar! :)

Cabert's right - I'll struggle to find time to play, and frankly I'm thinking that I wouldn't be able to 'weave much magic' into this game at this point anyway - it seems a pretty pedestrian process of abandoning Old Vikinglands and building up the ex-American and ex-Ottoman cities, while Gandhi crawls his way through ex-Mongolia and ex-Carthage ...

... although hopefully Patagonia can pull some 'rabbit ex-hat' that will turbo Gandhi towards competitiveness. So, over to you!

I concur with Cabert - I think we have to get back into the technology race now, as I'm not entirely sure if Gandhi will slow his aggression down due to some AI limitation on expansion, and we might find ourselves back in a 'holding pattern' wondering why Gandhi won't attack. I'd even propose getting totally amongst the Space Race without actually finishing the entire Space Ship off.

17. cabert

cabert Big mouth

^^are you suggesting we should build space parts????

I veto this!
    Let's build manhattan project, nukes, and the internet to keep up in tech (at this point, we're totally dominating, should not be a problem)

18. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

My 'thinking' :hammer2: is that the A.I. (a.) stops expanding at a certain point, and (b.) responds to a Space Race.

At the moment we can send any tribe back to the Stone Age if we wish - especially after Mr. Mahk's surge on military - but what we want is for Gandhi to get up to scratch on the tech' front and start focussing on Space Ship parts.

Is us building ICBMs going to help Gandhi hurry his Space Ship, or a bit of a Space Race on our account going to push him harder? I don't know, but I have my view.

19. cabert

cabert Big mouth

I don't think the AI responds to a space race.

At this point, the single best thing we can do for gandhi is $rushing useful buildings in cities he is going to take. Of course, some buildings are destroyed but he receives money from it.

20. stuge

stuge Emperor

I have but one humble wish. Could patagonia use one of our stacks to burn Konya down? It just pains my heart to see ol' Istanbul starving like that...

(Really I just to Mehmed in a tight space race and I want to see the bastard suffer. Is that too much to ask?)