1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 10 - Smurkz

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

It is done. Last 2 cities (Chartres and Nottingham) fell in 1933, conquest victory screen came up 1934. I submitted the save from the latter. I assume that's what we're supposed to do? I attach the turn before (1933) if it's of interest.

I don't know if it's good enough to beat the Suspects but I'm pretty happy with how we did when having just two people most of the game. Squelching Gandhi I think was a key, and BL's insistence that we not waste too many hammers on defense/squelching was also key, although that close call with the barbs nearly taking Moscow was pretty scary. :eek: It looks like only a couple other teams bothered with Sushi (judging from the culture plots), but Mining was essential for us. I wonder how doing Democracy and the Statue of Liberty early would have gone? The other important decision was how aggressively to expand. It'll be very interesting to see what everybody else did, as usual.

I'll PM Alan to let him we've finished.

Attached Files:

2. Backwards Logic

Backwards Logic Emperor Palpatine

Sweet!!!

Nice job XC, thanks for proving me wrong. Although I'll admit there at one point I was shaking my head wondering what you'd gotten yourself into :lol:

Yea, for two people for the entire game (and not even the best two on the team I might add - that honor goes to Niklas and rolo) and another two popping in and out, I'll say we did a damn good job. To finish in what appears to be the top 5 given our (likely) unorthodox and certainly un-Smurkz like strategy of boxing Gandhi in is pretty rewarding in itself.

I think if we'd settled Seaside a lot sooner our score would have been better. It would have afforded us a much, much earlier GP farm and with a few scientist bulbs we could have been first to Liberalism, though I'm a bit skeptical on when we would have gotten Constitution seeing as we probably wouldn't have had Nationalism in when we got Lib. Gandhi's ill-timed artist pop in Bombay really hurt as well as it sucked away some pretty good tiles from St. Pete plus the horses for a time. Depending on where the other teams settled their second city, had Gandhi popped the artist for them it's possible the effects on them were worse though... Had we settled on the forest by the desert hill like zyxy was suggesting early... ouch, the city would have been done for.

I'm not sure on SoL still. I'm still of the belief it wouldn't have paid off, but that's what subsequent games are for. Our continent simply wasn't big enough to really leverage the hammer and beaker investment SoL would have required for that extra spec.

At some point I'll play back through the game once Alan gives us the okay to see what these different strategies would have resulted in. And I'm really curious as to what the other teams did seeing as this is my first SGOTM where I had a presence the whole time from start to finish. Time for a break though! Any chance at some point could you edit post #4 with our turnset results so all of the other teams can marvel at our awesomeness? :lol:

3. Xcalibrator

Looks like the Suspects beat us by 1 turn. :( It would have been possible to match them with just a little tweaking (it was getting darn hard to keep track of where all the subs and nukes and transports were toward the end) but I'm sure they could have sliced off another turn or two, as well. I've burned a lot of time on this already so I doubt I'll be up for writing the novel. Still, it was fun, and we showed certain peaceniks (yeah, I'm lookin' at you, Niklas :lol:) what can be done with a little well-placed bloodthirstiness.

4. Niklas

Niklas Fully Functional GOTM Staff

Alas, they did indeed beat you by one turn, likely the bronze medal :(. But you guys played a brilliant game, missing the podium by one lousy turn is nothing to be ashamed of, and it was a real pleasure to follow! :thumbsup: :clap:

5. Backwards Logic

How do you know they beat us my a turn (if so ouch...)? Is it safe to look at the others' threads yet?

6. Niklas

Niklas Fully Functional GOTM Staff

Sure, you can look at the other threads now, but not post there until all teams have finished.

7. Yamps

Yamps Chieftain

OMG....yes indeed, just 1 turn!!! :run: :trophy3rd:

You got us all worried Xcal.... If you'd whipped down your big Sushi civ to the ground, you'd have beaten us for sure. Also, I had RNG luck on the very last turn since I was just one nuke short to finish things comfortably. Phew...in any case, congrats on your great finishing effort!

Here's our summary: Unusual Suspects summary
    My notes on MW game: Murky Waters summary

Xteam analysis in progress. ;)

Interesting approach with Sushi and Mining, but you've missed the power of Kremlin whips that many teams used. Looking forward to your summary! (I would recommend reading through the replay log and writing from memory, that worked well for me.)

8. Erkon

Erkon Chieftain Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

Congratulations to an impressive finish, and the stamina to complete the game at the end :goodjob: Myself played until 3 AM yesterday so I know the feeling :D

For reference: We conquered the world (30 cities) in ten turns, using 30 tacticals and 2 ICBM, about 30 knights, 20 rifles, 10 SAMs, 12 galleons and 9 privateers. We drafted some of the SAMs, upgraded a couple of units and used two Great Generals to upgrade Warriors into SuperSams.

9. Xcalibrator

I don't know if I'll ever do a complete write-up, but I at least documented the first 100 or so turns here. We used the choking strategy and kept Gandhi to 2 cities all game, leaving us room for 7 cities on the mainland--coulda been 8 if we'd wanted. We founded another 7 offshore. Due to BL's careful planning, we popped 7 GPs during a double Golden Age (Taj + GP), which really fueled our teching. We never used slavery, but toward the end we went into Nationhood and pumped out 3 SAMIs per turn for quite awhile. We had more ground units than needed and I slacked off--should have built more transports to pre-position attackers--could have easily shaved a turn or two off the end. Combustion was very helpful, not only for transports but for destroyers to knock down city defenses so that only 1 nuke was needed per city, and since we controlled the seas we never had to worry about leaving cities lightly defended or even unguarded. We built the Kremlin but bought very little--maybe a half dozen nukes at the end plus a settler to open up another canal city in the north to get at DeGaulle's last city. We spread Mining to all our cities and all of Roosevelt's 6 main cities. He was the only one to run Free Market, other than a brief stint by DeGaulle. Mining easily paid for itself in terms of maintenance and the hammer bonus was huge. We got 2 GGs from knocking Gandhi around (he'd keep sending out caravels for us to kill and bring our transports up to 5 XPs, giving us Flanking1 + Navigation1 for extra movement) and used them for military academies (+50% unit builds) in Moscow and St Pete.

Maybe I'll add more later. Or maybe BL will do a write-up. :mischief:

10. Erkon

Erkon Chieftain Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

We used slavery for universities => oxford, and massive slaving for the nukes. Kremlin was key to our nuke production. Each tactical cost 3-4 pop, and the ICBM cost us 6 pop. We targeted size 3 for almost all our cities at the victory turn, so one of our main focus throughout the game was founding cities with lots of food. This enabled us to generate the GS and also the nukes in the end.

We used our privateers to give us GG points for a free upgrade warrior=>SAM upgrade. We settled the Gandhi-GG in our Heroic Epic for +2 XP. This gave us +7 XP knights, which reached 10 XP soon for a third promotion. I promoted the units after they took damage to quickly restore their health. I didn't loose any units while attacking nuked cities, so I don't know how useful the +2 XP was in the end. It was good for confidence though :D

11. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Wow... truly astonishing finish! Back in the 1900's I thought we had you beat easily and that our main competition would come from OSS. :crazyeye: Great game guys!

We're happy to have the bronze but you guys played as good a game as we did. We both have much to learn from XT and MW, though. Had the Russian teams finished with their usual performance the one turn between us would not have mattered much at all. :rolleyes:

BTW- If you guys hadn't had your backs pushed so tightly against the deadline I'm sure you could have shaved one turn from your finish date.
    (Do you hear that Yamps... the Bronze falls to us not by luck or by strategy but by the superior management skills executed by team leader. ;) It all starts there. :p )

J/K :joke:

12. Xcalibrator

Thanks, kcd_swede. It still hurts a bit to miss a share of the bronze by 1 turn. :cry: If only we'd had our captain, I'm sure our time management would have been better and we wouldn't have needed to rush at the end, which almost never happens with us Smurkzers. ;) But near misses only count with horseshoes and nukes ;), so congrats on a well-earned 3rd!

Yeah, the finish went pretty fast. BL will testify that my numbers often have some, uh, slop in them, but by my count we took 41 cites in 14 turns (1920-1933), where I'm not counting Gandhi and his two piddly little villages that we could have taken whenever.

Other random stuff I'm writing down mostly for my future benefit: One thing we could have easily done to help our game was to use privateers, as several other teams did. The XPs are nice and more importantly slow down the AIs on island settling. The latter would have preserved several sites for ourselves and sped up the conquest phase. That's a nice tactic I'll have to remember.

I learned a lot about nuking in this game. :lol: Maybe it would have gotten bad if the game had gone on longer, but we never had any global warming. I didn't really notice what the nuking did to the land other than forests often (always?) got fried. It seemed like the fallout started to dissipate after awhile; I'm pretty sure the gems by Washington had fallout after the strike but around 10 turns later I noticed they were clean so I remined them on the last turn for some gratuitous happiness. We had five episodes of radioactive dust taking out tiles in random places, but three of those were on the last turn--maybe things were about to turn really ugly?

Happiness wasn't nearly the problem we feared. As we conquered we got new resources, and things went so fast that WW never got too bad. I had the culture slider around 20% for several turns just to keep the biggest cities in good shape but we could have drafted (or whipped) a lot more than we did. The benefits of Mining and Sushi also increased as captured cities recovered, something we (or at least I) never explicitly factored in.

The SAMIs from drafting came as a surprise. We were expecting rifles (and only 1 population loss instead of 2), not realizing what happens when you get Rocketry (how often do you get Rocketry before Assembly Line/infantry?), and only figured this out a few turns before we went to Nationhood. We had plenty of population so it didn't really matter, though. Universal Suffrage/Kremlin buying wasn't a big factor with us, partly out of my worries over maintenance costs and unhappiness during the war, but I don't think we could have done a lot more than we did; our huge stash at the end was from city plunder. Minor cities were used to run merchants, build gold, and draft units and the big cities were going flat out building units--I don't think there was a way to get a lot more gold than we were getting.

------------------------------------
    Dec 9 edit: We, or at least I, didn't understand that the Kremlin helps with all forms of rushing, not just Universal Suffrage buying, i.e., whipping! I wonder if it affects tree chopping, too. No?

13. Yamps

Yamps Chieftain

@kcd_swede

Ah, are you referring to Indiansmoke who suggested doubling up turnsets to avoid the deadline trouble? ;)

Anyway, have you decided already what your official title for the next game will be? :goodjob: :king:

/Smurkz, sorry for spamming your thread ...:mischief:

14. Renata

Renata homicidal jungle cat GOTM Staff

You two are fabulous! Congratulations on that finish. :thumbsup:

15. Xcalibrator

Aw, shucks. :blush: But thanks, I appreciate that, Renata. I missed you and the rest of the gang. BL deserves most of the credit on this one, for turns played, if nothing else. But there was also his detailed planning, testing, and actually getting hard numbers and facts when I'd often wave my hands about something. zyxy, your work with figuring out where to put our first two cities was also very helpful, and appreciated. I wish, for several reasons ;), that there were more Smurkzers who'd had the time and inclination to participate this time, but I certainly understand how real life can make that really tough to do. Now that CommandoBob's is a CivIV SGOTM veteran, I'm sure he'll be able to help out a lot more for the next one. :)

16. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

I plan to play two turnsets the next go-around! :D

At least two...

17. Backwards Logic

Thanks XC, though if it weren't for some of your ideas, I'm certain the outcome wouldn't have been as close. I'm probably not going to be able to put nearly as much time into the next one, so y'all better show up for SGOTM 11! :whipped:

18. Xcalibrator

Reading the threads has increased my appreciation for some of the luck we had (although luck comes to the prepared--sometimes ;)). Some examples: (1) We came within 1.6 strength units of losing Moscow to barbs. (2) We stumbled on a caravel movement pattern that kept the barbs from landing more troops until we could reliably contain them with more/better ships. (3) We chopped out one knight in the very brief interval where we controlled the horses before Gandhi's culture stole it from us--we didn't get it back for a looong time and the knight was a significant help in bottling up Gandhi. (4) There were two occasions where Gandhi could have escaped from Delhi with a settler by sea, but instead he dumped the settling party within easy reach of two of our units on the mainland. Yeah, we tried very hard to cover such possibilities, but Gandhi still had to be stupid for it to work and as a result we kept him to 2 cities the whole game. (5) One of Gandhi's first GP pops was a scientist--think what a second Great Artist would have done to St Petersburg. :crazyeye:

I'm also struck, as others have commented, on the wide variety of approaches that teams used in this game, and how close the results were for many of them. I'm in awe of Gyathaar's creativity.