1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 11 - Barley Demons

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Swiss Pauli

Swiss Pauli Emperor

I guess the victory save doesn't show up on the list then, as the last one available is the 1160AD save.

AI demands are more or less dumb luck, and it was a pity it went against, but them's the breaks. Unless Plastic Ducks played a really long final set it's not like it cost us the golden laurels :lol:

How did you get Ivory back? Was Justinian still willing to trade after we made peace? I'd completely forgotten that we were getting Ivory from him :blush: If we won earlier without Ivory we'd be further down the ranking than later with it, so not cancelling was probably the correct call. If we really want to see whether Toku would have let us have his Ivory after cancelling with Justinian then we'd need to play the T260/261 autosave.

Thanks to one and all for a good game :D

2. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Well done Barley Demons :goodjob:

You can visit the other team threads now, but please only post in the ones you know have finished the game.

This applies to the final save link - since that displays the final date.

3. pocketbeetle

pocketbeetle Chieftain

Good job everyone, and don't worry Comp you didn't screw up. :lol:
    Screwing up would have involved getting the Diplo victory vote without having Ivory on T260.

From a quick scan of a couple of the threads, looks like we came a respectable fourth. :)

4. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Nice game, guys! My sympathies for the extra excitement, Compromise! :lol: Bit of bad luck there at the end but this was a very well played game. Lots of things to fiddle with for a Diplo victory, and lots of inscrutable little details that could bite you. Xteam misunderstood one critical detail of the SecGen vote but it worked out OK. I can't tell you how many new things I learned during our Smurkz game. Congrats, again!

5. babybluepants

babybluepants Deity GOTM Staff

6. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

Congrats on finishing. That's some really unfortunate luck at the end pushing you guys off the podium :(

7. T-hawk

T-hawk Transcend

There might have been one answer. While one diplo window is up, such as the fateful "cancel deals", sometimes you can hit F4 (or another advisor like F6 and then F4) to do other diplomacy with one request waiting. That might have provided just enough of a window to trade for ivory again. I'm not sure under what all conditions that works, though.

Compromise, do you have a manual save from before ending that turn? Or the autosave from the start of T260, and a recollection of any RNG-affecting moves to get the RNG in the same state at end of turn?

There's also another answer, easy to say in hindsight. What we should have done was to cancel and restart all the critical resource deals less than 10T before the victory vote. Then they could not have been canceled even if somebody asks. I wouldn't have thought of that ahead of time either though.

Tokugawa would not have traded ivory, he must be at Friendly to trade a strategic resource, meaning +12 visible diplo which we didn't have.

Anyway, the best news is that now you've got a full week and two weekends to play Epic 27, Compromise ;)

8. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Deity

Well done Barley Demons. You certainly didn't get all the breaks going your way there in the last few turns! Good game.

9. Compromise

Compromise Emperor

Thanks for the condolences. Still a bummer. Better than a wooden spoon I think we got the first time around.

I was able to get Ivory from Toku after declaring on Justinian.

I think I tried doing this, but it didn't work. I even thought of canceling the deal and declaring immediately on Justinian, but I wasn't sure the Mutual Struggle bonus would be immediate--which is when I needed it.

I'll get you a save T-Hawk.

Yes...that probably would've worked, but I think Justinian was "worst enemy" with enough people that it would've been awkward to get it from him.

Oh yeah...!

10. T-hawk

T-hawk Transcend

I got a chance to play around with Compromise's autosave from 1140 AD, the turn before the first victory vote. It was indeed possible to get the win then with all conditions satisfied:

1. Accept Toku's request to cancel deals with Justinian.
    2. Bribe Isabella to declare war on Mehmed, in order to break up her ivory sale to him.
    3. Then Isabella has Ivory available and willing to trade us.
    4. We win with votes from Zara, Isabella, Tokugawa, and Mehmed (even though we just bought a war on him!)

I was able to see my way to that plan from the F4 screen on top of Toku's request, but Compromise bears no blame for not coming up with that. I don't think I would have done something as drastic as buying a war in the middle of a vote either.

11. Compromise

Compromise Emperor

Nice work, T-Hawk! Even now, I don't see myself thinking that far outside the box to that solution.

Maybe next time....

12. timmy827

timmy827 King

Sorry, been out for a while. Was great playing with you all, and I'll add my voice to the chorus telling Compromise not to obsess about the mistake:)

13. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Yo, Barley Dudes! I haven't noticed any of you signing up for SGOTM12 and wondered if you were aware of it. I haven't decided yet if I can afford the time but, with the apparent demise of Smurkz, if I do play I'd prefer to join you.

14. pocketbeetle

pocketbeetle Chieftain

Hey Xcalibrator. :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence!
    We're still mulling it over, feel free to come over here and try and convince the others:

http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4126

Don't mind our foot-dragging, we were slow to sign up to the last one also, and then we all barrel in. :lol: