1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 11 - T'dr'duzk b'hazg t't

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Apr 20, 2010.

1. MatrixTheKitty

MatrixTheKitty Skitty

Yeah, you need copper to be able to make axes. Also, I don't think that teching Hunting will obsolete warriors. We're not the Mayans, so we'll need copper to be able to make spears.

2. ForGreatJustice

ForGreatJustice Master of the Grump

Oh duh, what was I thinking. It's only archery that obsoletes warriors outright. I'm only concerned if we happen to settle on copper tile :eek:

3. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

No bronze working (axes) and hunting (spears) obsolete warriors.

Edit: FGJ did you find out what the river tile was FP or plains.

I'm playing on Buffy mod (the current one) in SP, but every time I play a game it warns me that the game cant be used for HOF purposes, is that just because it's my own random roll or have I done something wrong. I'm on Vista, and I've done fixes 1, 2 & 3 on the page FGJ linked.

4. ForGreatJustice

True about BW, IW, but what was said earlier is what I realized that with BW and IW if you had either resource hooked up (or settled on...) then you obsolete warrior builds until you pillage roads/mines roads. If we did happen to settle on copper/iron by accident, we could have one non-river, non-coastal city that can only build warriors.

I'm not sure, why don't you download and try to open the start save and see if you get that message.

I forgot to confirm the identity of the mystery forested tile. Regardless of what it is, I still think it's better to settle on the SE tile unless we reveal some crap tiles from the move. If you can successfully open the start save, mind reporting back what you find on that tile? And just keep your fingers off your mouse if you're still worried about misclicking.

5. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

1) if you hook up the copper or iron, as long as one of the promos of a warrior is un-researched then you can still build them. Thus don't do Hunting until we need it or we've built tons of warriors.

2) I don't want to accidentaly disqualify the team. If the SGOTM 10 saves are still downloadable I'll try them.

3) I agree with you on the hill, but with all the back and forth we needs to know.

6. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

I downloaded the BOTM for this month but it is closing down BUFFY before I can even get a screenshot of what is going wrong

7. ForGreatJustice

Interesting. What OS? I'm thinking uninstall/reinstall buffy, or maybe emptying your custom assests folder and using your backup of the original ca folder for the reinstall.

8. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

At the moment I'm re-doing fix no. 1 to the firaxis folder if that doesn't work then I'll do as you suggest. Is it the custom assets file in My Documents that I'll need to empty?

9. ForGreatJustice

Whichever one you've installed mods in the past like Bug or Bull.

10. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

I just did an uninstall of the game and am doing a clean reinstall, as I didn't keep a copy of the custom assets folder.

11. ForGreatJustice

Ouch... well just remember to all those changes again

12. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

13. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Still not working, I'm getting as far as the start of the game load screen, and then getting an error message which does not last long enough to get anything before the game closes down on me. I think I'm seeing something like "game protected" but I could be wrong. I did all the fixes in the game except the last one (set up new account) again.

Edit: I finally got the whole of the message (well the meaning). It basically says that the game has been protected in case the assets in your mod file have been changed.

14. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Ok I'm not going to edt my last post again but I followed Neils advice on the last page including dling the BOTM save (as my problem was suspiciously like IOs) and I got:

Well at least now it's not disappearing after 5 seconds.

15. ForGreatJustice

:eek:
    I've never seen that before. Maybe send a pm to our SGOTM mods or post on the Buffy page for someone to offer advice? Hopefully we can get this sorted out before your guys' turnsets.

In the meanwhile, going to move the settler 1SE right now and post a screenie for us to digest.

16. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

I think I may leave it to tomorrow, Neilmeister seems to know a bit about it as his fix allowed me to get that screenshot. At least this will give him time to see it.

17. ForGreatJustice

Sounds good, at least you can enjoy this:

Umm... SIP now right? :lol: and note the original tile was indeed a forested plains.

The good:
    - we know we're in the south so our back is protected except against barbs; recon will be more or less northwards.
    - silver and we have mining to get those silver up and running fast
    - 5 hills, 2 forested (2N 1E of settler in fog is forested hill)
    - on river
    - SIP gives us 2H at pop 1 while we work something giving 3 production for a faster fast worker
    - silver on hill on same side of river, easier to defend against pillaging barbs
    - and the river :love:

Great production capital if I settle there. With early economic boosts, easily can get to writing and REX without killing our econ. Build a library fast and run an SE early to get our first GS for an academy.

The not so good (so far)
    - Not many, just that we will have 1 tundra tile, no worries to me

What do you think guys, shall I continue and get this mayhem started?

18. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

It's a pity we weren't on the lake, then we could have run a "Spain on a Lake tm" variant.

1) How dare you edit your post just as I'm about to quote it:rolleyes:.

2) Settling in place is good, thoughe we may have Ice below that Tundra hill.

3) With this start we may be doing something very imaginative to get at the fur, seing as MadScientist as one of his previous guises as Lord Satan will have put it far far away. Though AlanH has explicitly stated its guarded by vile barbarians (unless he means Monty, the vilest barbarian I know).

4) I think an early REX is in order as I suspect we may have a few AIs camped not too far to the North.

5) If I haven't the problem fixed by tomorrow I'll have to be swapped to the back of the queue.

19. ForGreatJustice

Well we don't have fishing, so there :lol:

I dare for great justice :D

That's ice true, one useless tile I'll take for the rest of the BFC. This is a great start overall. Any more would make it easy for us.

Barbarians, I'm thinking the great Khan (Genghis)

Let's hope so buddy!

So I'll wait for any more thoughts, opinions. I'll play this to completion in 2 1/2 hours. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

20. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Morning guys,

If you start a new game with BUFFY, it checks what the settings are. The mandatory ones for HOF play must be checked.

Specifically, the option "Lock Modified Assets" must be on. This option used to be better named as "No Cheating". But, this should not stop you loading the save, as the save has this option turned on.

OK, some dumb questions:
    Is your BtS patched to 3.19 ?
    Can you run the Assets Checker app and post the results. IO, can you do this as well