SGOTM 11 - The Python Gang

I'm on GMT+1 here, so a couple of hours from now I'll be asleep. I'll pick up the save if I can, if not, I'll play it tomorrow. I'ld appreciate some opinions on the game as we're not really playing as a team at the moment.

My opinon is to try to fight a clear path to Japan and knock them out first. They were my most difficult opponent by far. The others were only harrasment, but they all suffered losses and Japan didn't, so the strongest enemy is maintaining or growing in strength, possibly. Taking and keeping the statue of Zeus and temple of Artemis are the higest priority, as well as getting knights to replace our horsemen, then cavalry after that.

EDIT: I'm sorry, as I think I tricked Own into taking it by wishing him good luck, I should have said good luck to JammerUno. I think JammerUno should definitely be next as soon as Own finishes. Let's please not get too far the other way now that we lapsed and demand everyone instantly have their turns finished. Don't forget there are some holidays coming up next week for some of us, and probably the others have holidays just past or coming up, too.

I'm sad to say that af far as holidays are concerned, I'm lacking.

The problem is that we don't know where the japanese cities are located. If I'm not mistaken, India build the great wall in Madras, making thát the immediate objective for the next 10 to 20 turns would have my preference.

It all very much depends on the action Own has taken in the direction of Delhi and Madras, troop placement and the likes. I'll propose something like an assault plan when I get the save.

Good, point regarding the Great wall, it would be helpful in the short term to capture or destroy it. I noticed India was down to about 5 cities, maybe knocking them completely out would be worth it to do first, as they are between us and Japan. China and Korea are north and East of Japan and out of the way.

the link own posted doesn't work because it's got an http prefix extra.

this'll work:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm11/The_Python_Gang_SG011_AD0320_01.SAV

First some bad news: china has chivalry.
The good news is that I'm pretty sure they don't have horses and they might lack iron.

I'm not sure what this means for us. The eastern alliance has lost a sizable piece of land and we have 2 armies; enough power to take at least another couple of cities.

I propose something along these lines:

1. The troops at delhi move along the yellow line NE te take the great wall. This shouldn't take more then 3 turns. When ample defence is available in that region, they advance on Nanking taking out roads that might connect the northern part of the eastern alliance to the southern part, thus disabling trade. Then taking Nanking.

2. The troops not engaged in defence in the green square will advance on Tatung and capture that city.

3. I'll send out a single horseman along the red line toward Bejing to check out the unexpored patch. If there's iron it can pillage the improvement.

4. The workers in the top left of the picture should road to egypt guarded by an impi; we need to establish some trade routes to the rest of the continent to get some stuff for the excess diamonds we have.

Now, depending on the site and size of the chinese city in the unexpored patch, I think we should either move to capture that city or turn our forces to the south. If the chinese are left with 3/4 cites, no horses and no iron, their UU won't be much of a danger. We all know the korean UU is crappy, so we might as well let them alone for the time being.

Would a great leader emerge I'ld prefer to hurry a forbidden palace in Madras: it's nicely situated and would boost future production and income in the lands we'll shortly occupy.

The blue dots are just some ideas on city placement I have, I'lll have zimbabwe build a settler after the heroic epic is done, intented for use on the blue dot in the top of the picture, next to the cattle and the landbridge to korean lands.

Gimme some feedback on this. If we agree on a strategy now we can play the following 3-4 turnsets achieving the goals we set without too much further discussion.

Ok, I've just played some of my turns and stopping for the day, I'll finish off an post the save tomorrow.

An update with some dire news:

As you can see, a scandinavian horseman has landed next to an undefended town of ours. I dunno why there's no units there, but it turns out it was that way when I started my turnset. It's a problem.

The attack against madras is under way: took out a pikeman there with heavy damage to one of our armies (it's sitting on the mountain alongside the other one) but it now seems there's only spearmen in there so it should go well.

I don't really know what to do about the viking horsie though; there will be two of our own done in that region shortly so if he takes the citie we could recapture it (assuming it doesn't get razed). Any pointers on this?

Ask them to get out or declare, if/when they declare, kill him with anything we have, which looks like only that warrior. That's the best I can suggest. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but I'm off work until Friday and rarely post from home.

Okay, another couple of turns played: the vikings declared war and took the undefended city, I took it back without any trouble so that's sorted, although we're at war with their alliance now.
Gained another great leader and I have it sitting in Hangchow because I'm not sure what to do with it. Took madras and the great wall, which resulted in all Eastern alliance troops evacuating our lands, presumably because they can't take our cities now. Next to madras is another luxury, which we now have as well.
Our heoic epic is one turn away from completion.

I'm facing a dilemma now. We can make peace with the chinese for chivalry and 5 gpt (it will take us another 13 turns to discover otherwise). Making peace would free us to change government. At the moment we have an upkeep of 34 gpt, and free upkeep for 44 units (we have 22 towns) With feudalism our free upkeep would be 110 units (since it's 5 per town) , thus freeing 34 gpt and more in the future, for either research, or the upgrading of our horsemen to knights (we have 35 of the suckers now). With monarchy we need to build aquaducts to get to the next level in free upkeep. We could move our great leader to madras to hurry a forbidden palace there and continue our war after the revolution (and let our reputation be damned).
Another benefit of peace is that then we would have some time to move some defence into our newly gained territory, since we're pretty low of that there, many of our horsemen are tied up defending, which is far from optimal.

I feel the next couple of turns could prove to be critical in our long term strategy: will we go for peace and either republic or fuedalism to boost our economy and research before we get too far behind or will we continue to wage this war with horsemen and impis. I think we should go for the peace/revolution/chivalry option, although I'm not sure whether fuedalism or republic is the better option if we decide to take that option.

I vote against feudalism, the war weariness makes it useless. Large unit support sounds good, but without the trade bonus of republic it comes with the war weariness of it. better to go republic and use most of the money on entertainment than feudalism and not have enough to keep them from rioting. Actually, the peace deal sounds good, we need the knights, hopfully we can mass a bunch in the peace time and hit Japan hard with them. Also, don't worry about the other alliance, they are to far away to be of much trouble, we should just keep a couple more Impis and a horse or sword around each rear area to defend against a raid until they call for peace.

I think we should stick with the monarchy, but republic might work.

Preturn. I move the MGL to Calcutta so that it can get to Madras in the next turn. I attack the Chinese spearman with John Cleese and it dies an another Horse retreats from the attack.

IBT. We lose an Horse to the Chinese. We kill a Long and got an elit out of our Impi.

Turn 1. We build the Heroic Epic.

We will ge the FP is the next turn. I have seen a Samurai so the Japanese are our most dangerous eney right now.
We kill two Chinese Horsemen and an archer for the lose of one Horseman. We also kill a Korean Spear.

IBT. Some Japs move near Madras.

Turn 2. We build some more horseman. I notice that there is lots of gaps filling up behind us so e need to start to fill them up with some more settlers so we need to get some cities onto settler duty to fill up the gaps. Considering that we now have the FP I can increase our scien rate

We kill a Korean spear with a setler. :D We also kill a Samurai with one of our armies. We lose a horse to an AC, but we kill the AC and MI outside of Madras. I attack a Chinese horse and get another MGL. I call the Horse Graham Chapman. Naturally I will make another horse army out of it.

IBT. We kill a Chinese Longbow that attacked our impi.

Turn 3. We kill some units. I forgot which exactly.

IBT. Not much.

Turn 4. We kill anothe Sam and MI outside of Madras. We also kill a Chinese Spear but lose a few horse to it. We also kill a Korean MI after a few retreats.

IBT. Not much.

Turn 5. We kill all the Japanese forces outside of Madras. We also kill one Korean MIs for the loss of two horses.

IBT. Nothing.

Turn 6. Madras's Culture expands meaning we can now attack Lahore. We have killed two spears with our Armies. We also kill another MI.

IBT. Not much.

Turn 7. I managed to build two settlers this turn and they wil go and grab us some land since I am trying to hold back the Egpytians from claiming the land for themselves. In the mean time I was albe to capture Lahore. :D

We need to build a few more settlers and get some cities larger since we are starting to get considerable cost increases with our units so the more cities we can get over 7 size the better. Things are looking Rosier than when I started this turnset since we are starting to almost destroyed the complete nation of India. Once we get Chivalry, we need to go for Knights only until we start to get the accendency and then we need to build up our economy since it is very poor shape. Also for easy of play please either try and play 5 or ten lots of turns since it is easier this way.

The Save.

I think it would be wise to get those grasslands near Zimbabwe irrigated for now. Building markets in the 3 cities with the best income and courthouses in those cities losing more than 3 gpt to corruption. Get some aquaduct in the cites at size 6 as well, that should improve our economy quite a bit.

I just got back, I'll pick it up and get to it asap, but I don't think I'll have it back before Wed. If that's a problem let me know.

Top Bottom