SGOTM 13 - Results, Congratulations & Commiserations

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
So we can now lay this one to rest.

Six teams started this adventure nine months ago. I was in two minds at the time as to whether it was playable.

Two teams achieved the objective of launching a spaceship, demonstrating that I was wrong about its playability. But the others retired, falling prey to the extreme Gilligan start, and the impact of 31 civs and a huge map on their PC hardware and patience.

Team klarius take the Red Laurels, with a 1440 AD spaceship. The Veterans were the only other finishers, and they take the wooden spoons. However, they were only 20 turns behind klarius, launching in 1540 AD, and I felt the wooden spoons should be silver-plated in view of their 'sterling' performance.

The two games were quite different in execution. If you consider the big differences in the progress graphs of the two teams, it seems remarkable that the launch dates were so close. klarius snagged the Great Library and used it to good effect to get early tech domination, and then made major territorial gains. Veterans pulled off some trading master strokes to catch up and then take control in the tech race. They clearly focused their lower production capacity more heavily on the space race than on military development.

Please join me in congratulating all of the teams on their tenacity and perseverance in the face of a demanding scenario. And especially to our two finishers for battling through to victory.

So the Conquests Laurels for fastest finish are awarded to:-

klarius
klarius,
Beorn-eL-Feared,
Northern Pike,
ThERat,
Wotan

The (Silver Plated) Wooden Spoons for the lowest scoring finishers go to:-

Veterans
Kulko,
archphoenix,
megistatos,
PaperBeetle,
PrinceMyshkin,
socralynnek

Full results and detailed stats are available here

Congratulations to Teams klairus and Veterans.

:salute:

I'll have to spend an afternoon reading through your game threads to see the details of how you all pulled this off.

Tons of credit to the rest of the team, you guys played a beyond-awesome game, with a launch date that doesn't even hints at the kind of start we had.

:hatsoff: [party]

And congratulations to everyone who finished, to everyone who held on and everyone who died trying. This one was hell.

Congrats to both finishers. :worship:

Too bad our brave curragh surviving ten turns on high sea :wow: took the wrong direction... :wallbash: :suicide:

I'd have loved to play this one out but we lost motivation and some players early... :(

Nice to leave this one behind and I'm looking forward to a new start! :bounce:

Sincerely hope that some fun is involved.

congratulations to ALL teams, especially those who managed to win this of course. i read through all of your starts and was highly impressed by the accuracy and consideration you put into this.

teams klarius and veteran - both of you pulled of such incredible stunts that i do not believe i could even repeat them now that i know what you have done.

only half seriously speaking, your early space dates somehow lead to the recommendation for the human player to stay out of contact with AIs for many turns at the start. obviously they are more helpful if you let them develop all by themselves... ;)

Big congratulations to Team klarius for their well deserved laurels. :goodjob:

I agree with Beorn-eL-Feared that your date does not quite reflect the wonderful start you had. Appears klarius' attempts to call off his "war-dogs" fell a bit on deaf ears.;)

Appears klarius' attempts to call off his "war-dogs" fell a bit on deaf ears.
:mischief: wouldn't be fun otherwise..so we did some warmongering...a tiny bit only :lol:

Top Bottom