SGOTM 13 - Veteran

Okay, got it.

The good news so far: I started the attack on Portugal.
The bad news so far: Portugal went industrial the turn before our ships reached their island. And they got Nationalism from somewhere. And they sent a couple of carracks out to meet our galleons. And they sunk two of three ships, sending nearly 800 shields worth of units to the bottom of the ocean.
So... I don't know where to go from here. We can mount another attack in 10 or 20 turns, but against whom? Options:
1. Portugal again, being more careful about the approach.
2. Sailing east, we could hit the Inca. They are the only civ still in the ancient era, and they are sitting on a source of rubber which would be nice to get a hold of. The downside is that they probably have filled up their island with ancient units. Also, it is a long way - about 10 turns at sea for our galleons.
3. We get some embassies built (most cost 100-200g) and look for wars on the mainland which we can join in with, grabbing a bit of land.
4. We don't attack anybody, and switch to building universities. We could also look for opportunities to squeeze towns on to resources going spare on the mainland.

As for our current trading opportunities... a couple of embargos end every turn, but there are still only four civs with whom we can trade resources: Sumeria, Babylon, Spain and Holland. The rest are tied up with a total of 27 different embargos against us.

Wow, what is it that Portugal has to offer for all these deals?

I suppose we need another direction. Are we able to start our GA soon? If not, maybe we just need a clean break and peace, hopefully clearing out a lot of these embargoes.

We've still got a long way to go, so maybe going after the Inca and their rubber would be a good idea as well as looking for wars to join and territory to grab. A few universities would probably help as well. If we're not really ready for war, I suppose option #4 is the best. A GA at the end to build parts might be better, anyway.

I don't think Henry is responsible for many of the embargos, they are left over from when we were at the bottom of the dogpile. Here is a table of all the embargos, as there are obviously too many civs to fit on one screen of F4, and CA2 doesn't list them.

Attachments

• SG13_Veteran_1250ad_embargos.GIF
    SG13_Veteran_1250ad_embargos.GIF
    18.4 KB · Views: 210
Wow, never seen that many embargos.

Tough questions.

Option 3 sounds good. We should build a larger navy anyway.

Uploaded at 1270ad.

Spoiler Full turn log :

1210 ad

Switch Edo to factory.

Abu: Ironclads > w map + 199g.
Theo: Ironclads > 15gpt + 4g + w map.

1210 > 1220

Korea - Zulu embargo against us ends.
Egypt - Ottoman embargo against us ends.
Rome and Russia embargo against us.
Viking - Indian embargo against us ends.
Viking - Portuguese embargo against us ends.

Osaka: worker > worker.
Nara: worker > worker.
Sapporo: galleon > galleon.

1220 ad

Upgrade 2 veteran archers to rambos. Start pushing troops north to load onto ships bound for Portugal.
Switch Kagoshima to factory; it should be about as powerful as Edo in shield terms, as it works the hills. Osaka will also be a big production centre, but is currently pumping out workers.
Upgrade another archer (reg).

1220 > 1230

Celt - Ottoman embargo against us ends.
Celt - Byzantine embargo against us ends.
Egypt and Portugal embargo against us.
Germany and the Mayans embargo against us.

Flight gets out (Celts and Ottomans).

1230 ad

Gil: Method > 12gpt + 44g + w map.
Julius: Steel > 43gpt + 109g + w map.
Will: Refining > 52gpt + 76g + w map.

1230 > 1240

Spain - Maya embargo against us ends.
France - Egypt embargo against us ends.
Byzantium and America agree peace.

Bursa (Ottoman) completes Hoover.
Portugal goes Industrial and gets Nationalism from somewhere... that's not good news for our invasion plan.

1240 ad

The fleet arrives next to a carrack; will it attack? Could be bad news.

Gil: Corporation > 10gpt + 13g + w map.
Cleo: Combustion > 122gpt + w map.
Theo: Steel > 22gpt + 7g + w map.

1240 > 1250

Korea - Scandinavia embargo against us ends.
Celt - Scandinavia embargo against us ends.
Henry offers peace, but I decline. He responds by sinking two of our ships.
Mongols and Ottomans ally against Holland.

1250 ad

With all our offensive troops wiped out, the last ship heads back home again.

Gil: Steel > 54gpt + 13g + w map.

Short rush the factories. Upgrade another archer; our army is now just 5 guerillas, 7 axes and 7 arts. No support costs though eh?

1250 > 1255

Aztec - Korea embargo against us ends.
A huge Spanish armada (7 frigates, 3 caravel / galleon) sails clockwise around our waters.
Ragnar suggests an embargo against the Ottomans - I decline.
Ganhdi suggests we extend our peace deal - I agree.

Nara: worker > settler.

1255 ad

Send one galleon out with a settler combo on board; south, towards America, where we have ROP.

1255 > 1260

Persia - Korea embargo against us ends; Persia becomes a potential trading partner!
Aztec - Scandinavia embargo against us ends.
Germany - Egypt embargo against us ends.
Spain and Russia sign embargo against us.
India and Vikings ally against Byzantines.
Arabia - India embargo against us ends.

Yokohama: samurai > galleon.
A propaganda campaign hits Kagoshima! I've never seen that done before. It gets -7 happy faces!

1260 ad

Crank the lux to 10%, and hire three clowns in Kagoshima. Because of the increased lux rate, the other towns in the south can work the tiles abandoned by Kagoshima.

Bella: Refining > w map + 192g.
Otto: Refining > w map + 7gpt + 85g.
Gil: Replaceables > w map + 30gpt + 93g.
Shaka: Steel > w map + 9gpt + 38g.
Gandhi: Steel > w map + 412g.

1260 > 1265

Arabia - Korea embargo against us ends. Arabia becomes a potential trade partner.
Carthage - Egypt embargo against us ends.
France and Russia sign embargo against us.
Vikings ally Mayans, Sumerians and Babylonians against Byzantines.

Edo: factory > CIA.

1265 ad

Cath: Refining > peace + w map + 17g, as she is getting far too busy with embargos against us.
Embassy Germany (145g) to find out what it would take to turn them against the Maya (with whom they have an embargo).
Berlin is building a factory at 13spt, which will be done in about 10 turns. 4 infantrymen defend. The Germans have rubber and coal, and 6 luxes, and are running 40% science. Alliance against the Maya would cost 42gpt - I would pay it if it alowed us to then trade Combustion for coal, but he is also embargoed with the Vikings. Sign Otto up for an embargo against the Maya instead.
Embassy Arabia (216g). Mecca cranks out 34spt with a factory, and is building infantries; 4 rifles defend. Rubber and coal, but no oil, and all 9 luxes! Give Abu Refining for gems + w map + war with the Maya.
Shaka: Refining > 99gpt + 88g + w map.
Embassy Holland (186g) as I suspect Will is involved in several wars, perhaps some of them are advantageous to us. His capital is Tatung, which is defended by 4 infantry (building more at 16spt). He has 2 luxes and rubber. He is at war with India, Zulu, Arabia, Scandinavia, America, Russia, Ottoman, Egypt, Byzantium, Celts, Carthage, Inca, Mongolia and Rome.

Set lux back 0%, science to 100%.

1265 > 1270

Egypt and Holland agree peace.
Maya - Korea embargo against us ends.
Aztec - Ottoman embargo against us ends.
Aztecs dow Dutch.
America and Scandinavia agree MPP.

Kagoshima: factory > samurai.

The AI get Mass Prod.

1270 ad

Ragnar and Brennus sell Mass Prod for 2679g, and Osman sells for 2567g. Take Osman's offer.
Give Joan Mass Prod + 140gpt + 171g for Atomic. Only Ragnar, Brennus and Osman have Electronics.
Ham: Steel > 8gpt + 11g + w map.
Abe: Atomic > 126gpt + 106g.
Monty: Banking > 95g.
Bella: Atomic > 101gpt + 152g.
Gandhi: Atomic > 41gpt + 114g.
Cleo: Atomic > 61gpt + 290g.
Julius: Atomic > 56gpt + 16g.

Possible tech trades...
Osman: 530gpt + 80g > Electronics, followed by Electronics to Temu or Wang for Flight.
Temu: Mass Prod > 22gpt + 30g or Mass Prod + 170gpt + 68g > Flight.
Wang: Mass Prod > 6gpt + 26g or Mass Prod + 130gpt + 10g > Flight.

So, what has been happening? As already mentioned, I loaded up 3 galleons with cavs, samurai, guerilla, arts and a settler, and sent them to Portugal. Portugal got hold of Nationalism, but I figured we could still take one of their island towns, and start our golden age. But I mis-planned the approach, hoping to sail around to the west side of their island and plant a town 2NE of Rio. I should have been more cautious, landing as soon as possible near Luanda. While the galleons were passing north of Luanda, they were attacked by two carracks (only MOV 5, but ATT 2). Both combats went to 1-1, but we lost both. Left with just one galleon, carrying a settler, 2 arts and a guerilla, I aborted the attack.

The next set-back occured when someone hit Kagoshima with a propaganda campaign (don't know who, but if build CIA, we should be able to use "expose enemy spy"). Now that's something I've never had done to me before. The effect seemed to be a large hit in happiness (-7 smiles) which forced me to run a bit of lux slider, and some clowns in Kagoshima. We haven't had any propaganda attacks since, and I think the propaganda unhappiness is reducing at the rate of 1 smile per turn.

I worried that our war with Russia was getting us hit with too many embargos, so I gave Cath peace - we didn't lose any war happiness as a result. We are now at war with only the Maya (who are totally harmless) and the Portuguese (who are no immediate threat). We are getting one lot of war happiness, presumably from the Maya, who haven't damaged us, so we can afford to give Portugal peace if needed.

In the 1265>1270 interturn, three AI got Mass Prod, so I bought the remaining beakers - we were about half way through the research ourselves. I also traded Mass Prod and plenty of gpt for Atomic, to find out that only two AI currently have Electronics. I also traded away a lot of techs, particularly Atomic, so we are currently making about 900gpt , even with science at 100%.

I uploaded at this point as we now have a research choice to make; Amphibious, Flight, Motors or Electronics. Flight and Electronics are already known, while the Ottomans, Celts, and Koreans must all be researching either Amphib or Motors. According to Ambiorix, they have about a 2/3 likelihood of going for Motors. France might be doing Motors, Amphib or Electronics.
So what should we research? I wouldn't go for Flight or Electronics, as we should be able to trade for them, either right now or once we have got Motors or Amphib. Resarching Amphib is a bit quicker (14 turns), and gives us a better chance of getting a monopoly, but of course it is only an optional tech.

As for resource trading, we still only have 6 civs not embargoed against us, but I expext several more to come free in the next turnset. If we get the chance to buy any resources, I think we should do so, both to get the use of the resource, and to discourage further embargos.
We have a settler / guerilla combo on a ship, ready to unload onto the American rail network next turn. We have ROP with America for a couple more turns, and it might be worth thinking about getting ROP with the civs south of America - the Vikings, Mongols and Indians. Mind you, there aren't actually many decent free resources on that continent. There is open space and free saltpeter left in the wake of a dogpile against the Babylonians, and in old Iroquois territory there is a free fur source, as well the possibility of culture-pushing our way onto an oil source. But these aren't very important resources. We badly need coal, to build rails and coal plants. And rubber will be needed if we want to try attacking someone like the Inca; we probably need either infantry or marines to make a beach-head. Rubber is also needed for SS Casing. There is free rubber in old Chinese (now Dutch) territory, but that is a desperately long way away (about 16 turns), and the quickest route would entail sailing past Portugal.

Nice progress so far. I'll play tomorrow night so some discussion can be had.

Too bad about Portugal getting nationalism. Perhaps we should make peace with them to prevent any more embargoes being signed by them. We can always renogiate peace or dow them later if and when we are ready for an attack and need their lands.

I have noticed propaganda strikes against cities before, but its pretty rare. In my experience exposing enemy spies is somewhat difficult and can easily lead to a dow. We must be ready to expect the consequences if they do. I think we should build the CIA, though.

I'm leaning to claiming the fur with the chance for oil, but will look for a better place to settle if it appears and the RoP's needed to do so. Even though Dutch/Chinese lands are far away, I think we should send settler pairs over there the long way or past Portugal if we make peace. Rubber is just too vital and the game certainly has more than 20 turns left.

The good news is 900gpt at 100% science! I'm leaning to the big gpt payment for electronics and then trading for flight. Full research on motorized transportation and trade for the remaining beakers when the ai gets it. Perhaps we can find a monopoly opportunity in the modern age. We should easily be ready to trade for amphibious war with modern age tech when we get rubber and need it. I'll also buy any resources the ai has to offer and keep selling tech for more gpt.

I also vote for Motors as it is non-optional.

As long as we don't have rubber ourselves, it is nice for us if no one else can build Marines.

To summarize the turn-set so far through 1295AD, we are in the modern age with all first-tier techs. Fourteen nations will now trade with us. We have three settlers heading to Germany planning to use RoP's with Russia, Germany, Zulu, and Ottos to claim resources in Dutch lands. Uranium is just outside of our new town Fukushima's borders. We'll send two more settlers to that continent as rubber and possibly aluminum are now available there. We are trading for rubber, salt, and coal now, though we lost wool when William's city was captured. We're making 2708gpt at max science and still have 2800gold after rushing universities and upgrading our military.

I've been unable to upload the save so far, but will keep trying so you can look at the situation if you want. I'll resume the turn-set on thursday to allow for comments, discussions, and suggestions. The complet turn-log for the turn-set so far follows. Apologies I can't put it in a spoiler as I'm still connecting by proxy.
1270AD(0): On the Dutch continent is oil, rubber, coal, dyes, and wool. It's a gamble, but I notice there is rail network from Germany to where we want. We can sail to the German border in 9 turns and then sign RoP with Bismark, Cathy, Shaka, and Osman and if we're lucky get to where we want to settle in just a couple turns after that. Check Portugal and they will pay for peace, but notice they still don't have nationalism. Hold off for now.

Osman: 530gpt + 71gold > electronics + wm
Temujin: mass prod + electronics > flight + 37gold + 22gpt + wm
Gil: fascism > wm + 33gold +20gpt
Joan: electronics > wm + 178gold + 82gpt
Theo: rep parts > wm + 16gpt + 19gold
Bismark: atomic theory > wm + 15gpt + 59gold
Wang: mass prod > 6gpt + 26gold + wm
Abe: mass prod > 3gpt + wm

Embassy in Russia for 230gold: Moscow defended by 4 infantry and 1 arty; building cossacks at 13spt; 6 lux, rubber, oil, coal, salt, iron, and horses; running 20%science; at war with Persians, Dutch and Byzantines

Embassy in Zululand for 200gold: Zimbabwe defended by 3 infantry, 1 musket and 1 cannon; building hospital in 3 turns at 33spt with a factory; running 40%science; all 9 luxuries, rubber, coal, salt, iron, horses but no oil; at war with the Dutch

Sign Rop with Ragnar for 105gold; he is cautious

Emabassy in India for 170gold: Delhi is size 10 and growing defended by 4 riflemen and 4 arty; building infantry at 19spt; 20%science; 8 luxuries, rubber, coal, salt, iron and horses

Sign RoP with Gandhi for refining; he is polite

Embassy in Mongolia for 141gold: Karakorum is defended by 3 infantry and 1 pikeman; building infantry at 10spt; size 11 and growing with a hospital; 20%science; 4 luxuries, rubber, coal, iron and horses

Sign RoP with Temujin for 80 gold; he is polite

Rush settler in Osaka for 100gold and Nara for 80gold

1270>1275AD: Dutch and Byz sign peace treaty;
French and Indian embargo against us ends;
Babylon and Ottomans ally against the Dutch;
Egypt and Scandinavia ally against the Byzantines;
Aztecs and Scandinavia ally against the Byzantines;
Osaka=>settler-worker in 5;
Nara=>settler-worker in 3;
silk trade with Sumeria ends;
5 American frigates and 3 galleys north of Kyoto;
Persia is fascist

1275AD(1): move galleon to America's shores and unload settler pair on rail network; load settler and guerilla into galleon at Nara and sail northeast to pick up another settler in Tokyo next turn; upgrade axe to guerilla for 240gold in Kyoto

Gil: refining > silks + 19gpt + 14gold + wm
Gil: atomic theory > oil + 2gpt
Julius: combustion > 2gpt + 21gold + wm
William: wm > wm + 7gold
Monty: music theory > 61gold + wm
Cathy: wm > wm + 1gold
Gandhi: combustion > 7gpt + 30gold + wm
Shaka: atomic theory > 45gpt + 90gold
Abu: wm > wm + 1gold
X-man: refining > 6gpt + 27gold + wm
Abe: flight > 17gpt + 21gold + wm
Osman: wm > wm + 1gold
Hammy: rep. parts > 3gpt + 34gold + wm
Cleo: mass prod > 586gold + wm
Theo: wm > wm + 5gold
Brennus: wm > wm + 1gold
Hannibal: refining > 74gpt + 83gold + wm
Bismark: RoP + combustion > RoP + 16gpt + 24gold + wm
Temujin: wm > wm + 1gold
Izzy: combution > 35gpt + 54gold + wm

We have 1456gold in the treasury making 683gpt at 100%science with motorized transportation due in 16 turns.

1275>1280: Julius wants to renew peace--done;
Mongol and Russian trade embargo against us ends;
Dutch and Carthage sign peace treaty;
Celt and Zulu trade embargo against us ends;
America dow's the Byzantines;
Joan wants to renew peace--done;
American fleet sails clockwise, east of Tokyo;
Abu wants to renew peace--done;
Kyoto=>library-samurai in 12
Ise=>galleon-transport? in 20
Nagoya=>cavalry-samurai in 14
Nagasaki=>galleon-transport in 25
Toyama=>samurai-samurai in 14

1280AD(2): move galleon into Tokyo and upgrade to transport for 150gold; rush another settler in Osaka for 112gold; upgrade another axe to guerrilla for 240gold; settler and guerrila board transport;settler pair moves south to Niagara Falls and runs out of movement; upgrade new galleons to transports for 150gold each

We can now trade with the Zulu and the Celts; Celts have furs, but we should get them next turn, anyway, and he wants a lot of cash for them;

Shaka: RoP + combustion > RoP + coal + 31gold + 14gpt; he's polite;
Cathy: wm > wm + 3gold
Gandhi: mass prod > 1gpt + 30 gold + wm
Abu: combustion > 8gpt + 27gold + wm
X-man: combustion > 16gpt + wm + 23gold
Ragnar: wm > wm + 1gold
Abe: electronics > 9gpt + 21gold + wm
Gil: combustion > 6gpt + 13gold + wm
Hammy: refining > 29gpt + 25gold + wm
Cleo: flight > 65gpt + 53gold + wm
Hannibal: combustion > 6gpt + 19gold + wm
Bismark: mass prod > 97gpt + 58gold + wm
Izzy: mass prod > 11gpt + 34gold + wm
Julius: mass prod > 48gpt + 43gold + wm

Upgrade the last 5 axes for 240gold each to guerrilla's; wake the workers and lay 3 rails, 2 near Edo; CIA now due in 14; Kagoshima regains the hill from Ise and is content without a clown; we have 654gold making 1102gpt at 100%science wtih motorized transport due in 15 turns; shift blockade to west coast just in case Henry gets froggy; military is now 12 guerrilla's, 2 samurai, 1 cavalry and 7 arty; we are strong versus the Byz and Babs and weak versus
everyone else; army support now 8gpt

1280>1285:Aztec and Egyptian embargo against us ends;
Inca and Egyptian embargo against us ends;
German and Viking embargo against us ends;
Germany and Celts ally against the Dutch;
Scandinavia and Portugal embargo against us;
Osman demands tm + 50 gold--done;
American fleet sails south into fog;
Spain and Scandinavia ally against Dutch;
Osaka=>settler-worker in 5;
Satsuma=>samurai-samurai in 12

1285AD(3): Forgot this last turn--switch Edo to coal plant and rush it for 284gold; switch Kagoshima to coal plant and rush it for 480gold; transport with 3 settler-guerilla pairs move SE from Tokyo to Germany;

Emabassy with Celts for 235gold; Entremont is defended by 9 infantry, a guerilla, and 2 arty; Entremont is size 17 and growing in 3; building an airport in 2 turns at 54spt with factory and hydro plant; science at 90%; all 9 luxes, rubber, oil, coal, salt, iron and horses;at war with the Dutch

Sign RoP with Brennus for wm + 151 gold and get wm; Found Fukushima on furs next to lake near Grand River starts a library for culture; galleon sells N towards Toyama; transport moves to west coast--we'll try another invasion on Portugal soon; workers lay 4 more rails; we have 1171gold making 1122gpt at 100%science with motorized transportation due in 13 turns; we can now trade with 11 nations, but no resources are available

Bismark: flight > wm + 199gold + alliance vs. Maya
embargo between Maya and Germany ends--no resources to trade, now
Cathy: wm > wm + 2gold
Gandhi: flight > 14gpt + 31gold + wm
Shaka: mass prod > 6gpt + 32gold + wm
Gil: mass prod > 3gpt + 13gold + wm
Hammy: combustion > 5gpt + 4gold + wm
Cleo: wm > wm + 1gold
Joan: wm > wm + 1gold
Hannibal: mass prod > 2gpt + 13gold + wm
Temujin: wm > wm + 2gold
Wang Kong: wm > wm + 1gold
Izzy: flight > 299gold + wm
Julius: wm > wm + 2gold

1285>1290: Rome demands flight--I cringe, but done
Spain and Portugal embargo against us ends;
Cleo want to renew peace--done;
Rome and Portugal embargo against us;
Persia and Ottos ally against the Dutch;
Spain and Maya embargo against us;
Abe wants to renew peace--done;
Celts and Scandinavia ally against Byzantines;
India wants an embargo against Babs--give him tm instead;
India and Portugal end embargo against us;
Edo=>coal plant-university in 6;
Kagoshima=>coal plant-university in 10;
Nara=>worker-settler in 8

1290AD(4):upgrade galleon to transport for 150gold; rush library in Fukushima for 316 gold; workers rail 4 more tiles--Edo is now 40spt; loaded transport moves 12 ocean tiles towards Germany; accidently hit spacebar and move to next turn without making any deals; there were no resources to trade or new techs; we had 1795gold making 1076gpt with motorized transportation due in 12 turns

1290>1295: Inca and Dutch sign peace treaty;
Korea and Portugal end embargo against us;
Dutch and Mongols sign peace treaty;
Mongols and Portugal end embargo against us;
Persia and Celts ally against the Byzantines;
Egypt and Maya end embargo against us;
Zulu and Persia ally against France;
Mongols and Persia sign peace treaty;
Rome and Zulu ally against France;
Fukushima=>library-worker in 10;
Yokohama=>galleon-samurai in 10;
Scandinavia, Ottos and Celts get motorized transport;
The Dutch lose Middleburg and we lose wool--no riots

1295AD(5): upgrade galleon to transport for 150gold; loaded transport moves 12 more ocean tiles and is 2 turns from German rail network; transport moves to Nagasaki to leave for Portugal in 2 turns; rush university in Edo for 640gold; rush university in Kagoshima for 720gold; we can now trade with 14 nations

Osman: 280gpt > motorized transportation + wm + 10 gold
William: wm > wm + 5gold
Gandhi: electronics > saltpeter + 23gold + 1gpt + wm
Shaka: wm > wm + 3gold
Abu: wm > wm + 2gold
X-Man: atomic theory > rubber + 391gold + wm; gift him to ma
Abe: motorized transport > 107gold + 88gpt + wm
Cleo: electronics > 48gpt + 73gold + wm
Joan: motorized transport > 12gpt + wm + 69gold
Hannibal: atomic theory > 48gpt + wm + 24gold
Patchacuti: wm > wm + 7gold
Temujin: motorized transport > 378gold + wm
Wang Kong: motorized transport > 6gpt + 57gold + wm
Julius: electronics > 19gpt + 90gold + wm
Hammy: mass prod > wm + 1gold; gift him to modern age
Cathy: RoP + atomic theory > RoP + wm; gift her to modern age
Gil: flight > wm + 11gold; gift him to modern age
Bismark: electronics > wm + 21gold; gift him to modern age
Theo: refining > wm + 35gold; gift her to modern age

Here's the modern age techs available before deals:
computers: Babylon
rocketry: Koreans, Russians, Byzantines
fission: Ottomans, Celts
ecology: Germany, Persia

give Theo nationalism;
Theo: communism + espionage + fascism + wines + iron + 799gpt + wm > rocketry
X-Man: wines + wm + rocketry + 411gpt > ecology
Hammy: rocketry + ecology + ironclads + fascism + 292gpt + 1171gold > computers
Osman: rocketry + computers + ecology > fission + 1855gpt + wm
Theo: ecology > wm + 677gpt
Hammy: fission > 1172gold + wm + 280gpt
X-Man: fission > 398gpt + wm
Brennus: ecology > wm + 8505gold

switch Toyama to university and rush for 740gold; switch Kyoto to university and rush for 716gold; swtich Osaka to university and rush for 772 gold; switch Tokyo to library and rush for 160gold; switch Satsuma to university and rush for 628gold; switch Ise to univerity and rush for 628gold; switch Nara to university and rush for 784gold; switch Nagoya to university and rush for 732gold; switch Nagasaki to university and rush for 732gold; switch Matsuyama to universtiy and rush for 736gold; switch Sapporo to university and rush for 740gold; switch Yokohama and Fukushima to university to rush next turn; upgrade 8 guerilla's to TOW infantry for 720gold

Of course, we have no uranium or aluminum. Settlers will be rushed again at Nara and Osaka in 2 turns as there is uranium and rubber available on the continent with Fukushima, possibly also aluminum and a poachable source. Other settlers will continue to Germany to settle there. We'll invade Portugal soon for more territory and GA. We have 2817gold in the treasury making 2708gpt at 100%science with miniaturization due in 36 turns. This will come down next turn with university builds and if we get a GA soon, it should be a
monopoly tech and allow us to build offshore platforms to help production. Also, in my experience it is not often researched first by the ai in the modern age.

1295>1300: The French destroy the Babylonians;
Egypt and Scandinavia end embargo against us;
Mongols and Maya embargo us;
American fleet appears NE of Tokyo;
Kyoto=>university-research lab in 29;
Osaka=>university-settler in 6;
Tokyo=>library-transport in 34;
Edo=>university-research lab in 5;
Satsuma=>university-research lab in 34;
Ise=>university-research lab in 67;
Kagoshima=>university-research lab in 10;
Nara=>university-settler in 6;
Nagoya=>university-research lab in 34;
Nagasaki=>university-research lab in 50;
Matsuyama=>university-research lab in 200;
Sapporo=>universtiy-research lab in 200;
Toyama=>university-research lab in 40;

1300AD(6): loaded transport moves 12 more ocean tiles two turns from German rail network; transport moves to Toyama ready to move settlers to American continent; units restore blockade on main island; workers rail three more tiles; Yokohama rushes university for 768gold; university rushed in Fukushima for 796gold; aluminum is now poachable in former Babylonian territory; with death of Babylon and new Mongol embargo we can trade with 12 nations

Brennus: rocketry > amphibious war + wm
Bismark: amphibious war > 35gpt + 72gold + wm
Gil: wm > wm + 3gold (hm, I forgot to gift him up last turn)
X-Man: amphibious war > 16gpt + 27gold + wm
Ragnar: wm > wm + 1gold
Gandhi: motorized transportation > 1gpt + 29gold + wm
Shaka: electronics > 11gpt + 28gold + wm
Abu: atomic theory > 5gpt + 21gold + wm
Abe: amphibious war > 18gpt + 44gold + wm
Joan: amphibious war > 40gpt + 14gold + wm
Hannibal: electronics > 2gpt + 4gold + wm
Temujin: wm > wm + 2gold
William: wm > wm + 7gold (he's down to 6 cities)
Julius: motorized transportation > 8gpt + 20gold + wm

We have 4208gold making 2775gpt at 100%science with miniaturization due in 27turns

1300>1305: Theo wants to trade tms--done;
Joan wants to trade wm's--done;
Celts and Maya embargo us;
Another American fleet and a small Portugese fleet move into view;
Dutch and Indians sign peace;
Fukushima=>university-airport in 80 (gets cultural expansion);
Yokohama=>university-research lab in 20;

1305AD(7): loaded transport moves 12 more tiles and will unload on German rail network next turn; workers rail 5 more tiles--three grasslands, three hills, and a mountain to go in our core; Osaka rushes settler for 100gold; Tokyo rushes transport for 368gold; Nara rushes settler for 100gold; Edo rushes research lab for 640gold; Kagoshima rushes research lab for 680gold; Nagoya rushes research lab for 776gold; Nagasaki rushes research lab for 786gold; Sapporo rushes research lab for 796gold; Satsuma rushes research lab for 776gold; Matsuyama rushes research lab for 796gold; Ise rushes research lab for 788gold;

Bismark: fission > 8gpt + 23gold + wm
Wang Kon: amphibious war > 7gpt + 57gold + wm
Gil: wm > wm + 1gold
X-Man: wm > wm + 4gold
Julius: amphibious war > 7gpt + 1gold + wm
Gandhi: wm > wm + 3gold
Shaka: flight > 13gpt + 33gold + wm
Ragnar: amphibious war > 90gpt + 13gold + wm
Abe: wm > wm + 4gold
Joan: wm > wm + 2gold
Theo: amphibious war > 35gpt + 5gold + wm (she's down to 4 cities)
Hannibal: wm > wm + 1gold
William is down to 3 cities

We have 479gold making 2913gpt at 100%science with miniaturization due in 25turns

1305>1310: Aztecs demand printing press--no, they are bluffing;
Vikings and Byzantines sign peace treaty;
America and Portugal end embargo against us;
Two more Portugese fleets pull into view;
Two stacks of Portugese cavs arrive next to Fukushima--we must make peace this turn;
Osaka=>settler-research lab in 40;
Tokyo=>transport-university in 67;
Edo=>research lab-airport in 2;
Satsuma=>research lab-airport in 14;
Ise=>research lab-transport in 34;
Kagoshima=>research lab-airport in 4;
Nara=>settler-research lab in 40;
Nagoya=>research lab-airport in 12;
Nagasaki=>research lab-transport in 20;
Matsuyama=>research lab-transport in 100;
Sapporo=>research lab-transport in 100;

1310AD(8): one artillery takes a potshot at a carrack; workers rail 3 grassland tiles and start on hills near Kagoshima; settler boards transport in Tokyo and unloads in Nara with no movement left; settler boards transport in Toyama to leave with other settler for American continent next turn; 3 settler pairs unload on German rail network; with 7 Portugese cavs next to Fukushima we must make peace with Portugal--we'll either need to renew war in 20 turns or go for Maya to get a GA with samurai. The other option would be to try to build the Internet which automatically starts a GA, but we don't really need this wonder. The Mayans have a source of aluminum, coal, and saltpeter on their island.

Henry: peace > peace + wm
Henry: industrialization > 5gpt
Bismark: computers > 56gpt + 6gold + wm
Wang Kon: wm > wm + 3gold
Gil: electronics > 3gpt + 9gold + wm
X-Man: computers > 108gpt + 36gold + wm
Gandhi: amphibious war > 70gpt + 96gold + wm
Shaka: motorized transportation > 43gpt + 34gold + wm
Abu: mass production > 52gpt + 73gold + wm
Abe: RoP + ecology > RoP + 161gpt + 139gold + wm
Osman: RoP + wm + 146gold > RoP + wm--he is polite;
Joan: Ecology > 202gpt + 221gold + wm
Theo: fission > 35gpt + 10gold + wm (she's down to 3 cities)
Hannibal: wm > wm + 1gold
Izzy: wm > wm + 4gold
William is down to 2 cities

Fukushima rushes airport for 388gold; Yokohama rushes research lab for 788gold; Toyama rushes research lab for 760gold; we have 2052gold making 3421gpt at 100%science with miniaturization due in 22 turns

1310>1315: Maya and Dutch sign peace treaty;
Russia and Byzantines sign peace treaty;
Russia and Ottomans end embargo against us;
Portugese troops and fleets leave;
Sumeria and Ottomans ally against the Dutch;
Arabia and Mayans sign a peace treaty;
We lose our supply of gems;
Ragnar wants to renew peace--done;
The Vikings destroy the Dutch;
Kyoto riots due to loss of gems--scroll ahead to prevent riots in the rest of our cities;
Fukushima=>airport-research lab in 200;
Yokohama=>research lab-samurai in 6;
Toyama=>research lab-samurai in 14;
Ottomans start the Manhattan Project;

1315AD(9): Shaka: amphibious war > gems + wm + 5gold
Osman: wm + 529gold > wool + wm
Bismark: wm > wm + 2gold
Gil: motorized transportation > 10gpt + 76gold + wm
Gil: amphibious war > aluminum + 4gpt (oddly, he does not have rocketry, but can still trade aluminum)
Julius: wm > wm + 3gold
Gandhi: ecology > 8gpt + 30gold + wm
X-Man: wm > wm + 4gold
Abe: wm > wm + 1gold
Cleo: motorized transportation > 7gpt + 21gold + wm
Joan: wm > wm + 6gold
Brennus: wm > wm + 2gold
Theo: wm > wm + 7gold (she's back to 4 cities)
Hannibal: wm > wm + 2gold

Settler pairs move 12tiles down German rails but cross two roads and run out of movement, stop near Brandenburg; tranport moves NW back to Japan; transport moves back to Tokyo; two settler-TOW pairs board transports and move south towards American rail network; 3 transports in Nagasaki move south to reposition for transport of troops to Mayan lands; worker joins Edo to bring it back to size12; workers rail one hill and start railing another near Kagoshima; Satsuma rushes airport for 292gold; Kagoshima rushes airport for 252gold; Nara rushes research lab for 776gold; Nagoya rushes airport for 292gold; Osaka rushes research lab for 792gold; Tokyo rushes university for 796gold; we have 1902gold making 3426gpt at 100%science with miniaturization due in 20turns; we can trade with 12 nations and still have embargoes against us with 11; the rubber source on the American continent is no longer available as Mongol borders expand

1315>1320: Bismark wants a MPP--trade wm > wm + 1gold instead;
Celts want an alliance against Byzantines--wm > wm + 2gold;
Osaka=>research lab-settler in 6;
Tokyo=>university-research lab in 67;
Edo=>airport-CIA in 10;
Satsuma=>airport-samurai in 10;
Kagoshima=>airport-marine in 5;
Nara=>research lab-worker in 2;
Nagoya=>airport-samurai in 10;
Ottomans are building Seti;

1320AD(10): Settler-pairs are blocked in German territory and move to un-roaded jungle square--they can move to Russian rail network next turn--one guerilla is separated from the stack; transport moves 12 more tiles NW towards Japan; guerilla in Fukushima uses airport to travel to Nagoya to be upgraded next turn; TOW-infantry uses airport to travel to Fukushima; worker uses airport to travel to Fukushima; two settler-TOW pairs unload on American road network; rush research lab in Kyoto for 768gold; rush research lab in Fukushima for 796gold

We can still trade with 12 nations out of 23. We have 3819gold making 3411gpt at 100%science for miniaturization due in 19 turns. Our two settler pairs on the American continent can move south and claim aluminum with a small culture push near Ellipi in former Babylonian territory; there is still saltpeter available near Sippar(Indian) on Viking border--with a large culture push could possibly claim coal; there is a uranium source that can be claimed with a small culture push near Mongol-Celt border and the Indian town of Zariqum; we could also settle on the uranium source near Fukushima although its next cultural expansion in 8 or less turns should claim it; dyes, wool, rubber, coal(un-roaded on mountain), saltpeter, oil and more is available in former Dutch territory--our settlers should be able to move through Russian and Ottoman lands quickly to claim them. Oil, dyes, and rubber would probably be best to claim.

No deals were made this turn, yet. The Ottos will sell us uranium, but we are already trading 2 resources with them and should have uranium soon. We can probably mount a successful invasion of the Maya in 10-15turns for a GA. We'll be able to build the FP soon, probably in Kagoshima in less than ten turns.

Okay, I'll try to grab it later on tonight. My laptop has been showing me a message along the lines of "There is a malfunction in your cooling system. Switch the computer off immediately and return it to Toshiba for repairs." :badcomp: But I have just got through GOTM79 without my processor melting or setting the machine on fire, so I will see if it is up to the challenge of The Monumental Game.

Good luck on your laptop holding out, PaperBeetle.

It appears it's down to me and you in this, but I think we're in position to win this game in 5 or 6 turnsets.

1. We should have enough transports for a ship chain to Maya land to start our GA, and we are making enough cash to fill a transport with units each turn.

2. There is quite a bit of territory we can grab with peaceful settling to increase science just a bit with specialist farms, if we can grow them fast enough.

3. We have airports in place to reinforce our colonies with units and workers quickly.

4. We are soon to be independent of the need to trade with the ai for strategic resources. We should soon have enough native luxuries to no longer need trade for war happiness.

5. The ai should still get a lot of tech for us. We probably only need to finish miniaturization and follow the tech line nuclear power-laser-robotics with a combination or research/trade/steals to get the other techs.

6. With offshore platforms, our home island should have plenty of production to build parts. The soon to be enabled FP will help some as well.

Good luck. :)

Okay, got it running.
Yeah, right now it looks like getting to space should be pretty straightforward, barring someone like the Ottomans beating us to it. But if we can keep on terms in tech, prebuilding the final modules ought to allow us to sneak past them.
That enormous gpt income we have should come in handy :clap:. I'm traditionally not very good at spending cash reserves, but I will make an extra special effort in this case.

Well, I got through to 1375 ad, although there were times when it seemed my PC could go no further.
I haven't moved any units, spent any cash, or done any deals yet this turn.

We have started the attack on the Mayans, and triggered the golden age with a samurai win in 1365ad. We own two of their towns, including their previous capital Chichen Itza, although they just dumped 24 units next to it, so I would guess we need to ship the troops out of there; they are marines, so we could use the old trick of sailing out, abandoning / gifting away the town, and hitting somewhere else while his troops are still in the wrong place. Bonampak is more securely held; he didn't mount an attack on it this turn, and we have an airfield there to bring in reinforcements. But I must admit I didn't spam out that many troops during the turnset. The GA seemed the primary purpose of this campaign, rather than securing the resources there or grabbing towns for beaker farming (the terrain there is almost totally useless for that purpose).
On the way down to the Mayans, I saw a German convoy heading the same way (we are allied with them against the Mayans) but I haven't seen any sign of them since arriving.

Our per turn rep got shot at some point. Possibly when the Byzantines got killed while we were trading per turn with them. I did consider gifting them one of our towns, but couldn't bear to give away a town on Kappa or Theta. And mainland towns wouldn't be much of a guarantee of safety. Our gpt is now worth only 3g. This could make life tough when it comes to buying techs from the AI. We have 19000g in hand (I was deliberately frugal after I realised we had lost our rep), but that isn't nearly enough to buy a modern tech.

Osman got Space Flight three turns ago. It would be really nice if someone else came up with Synthetics in the next couple of turns, as we will get Miniatures in 3 turns time, and I am pretty sure we will be first to get it. The golden age isn't actually boosting our research very much, as so much of our trade is coming from coastal tiles which make a natural 4gpt (we now have docks in all towns) anyway.

CIA just finished this turn. We should have a crack at planting a spy with the Mayans of course. As for the other civs... failed spy missions will probably earn us dows, so we should wait until there is some major use for espionage, like we get wrong-footed in the research choices?

The full turn log...

1320 ad

Switch all builds on the main island to docks, except the worker pump.
Rush the docks in Matsuyama, Ise, Nagasaki and Sapporo, Short rush in Yokohama and Toyama.

Hanni: Amphibious > 13gpt + 8g + w map.
Trade maps 22g profit, compared to our 3424gpt income. Yes, I'm one of those people who stops to pick up pennies in the street.
Abe: Fission > 61gpt. Gil: Rockets > 14gpt + 37g.
Gil: Rockets > 14gpt + 37g.

Embassy Sumeria for 128g (all luxes, all strats except uranium, 3 infs in defense, building a bomber, running 40% science. Gil doesn't even have a harbour, despite despite coastal tiles being his only hope of growing his size 4 capital).
Embassy Spain for 108g (8 luxes, all strats except the modern ones, 6 units in defense, building a hydro, running 40% science, has CIA).
Embassy Inca for 106g (no resources at all, 4 spears, and archer and a chasqui in defense, building colosseum, only building is a library, running 30% science).
Embassy Carthage for 118g (5 luxes, rubber, iron, horse, 5 defenders including a numidian, building infantries, running 20% science).
Embassy Portugal for 120g (5 luxes, rubber, saltpeter, iron, horse, 4 muskets in defense, buidling rifles, running 40% science).

1320 > 1325

Bella suggets we give her 32gpt for ROP and MPP. I suggest we swap t maps instead.
An American tank trundles past Fukushima.

Kyoto: lab > court.
Fukushima: lab > worker.
Ise: dock > transport.
Matsuyama: dock > bank (prebuilding rig).
Sapporo: dock > bank (rig).

1325 ad

The rail route through Scandinavia is still blocked. Have one settler combo idle on the rails in Mongolia, while the other tries trekking through Scandinavian jungle. Settler combos near Germany step onto the Russian rail net.
Upgrade a guerilla.
Send out two transports, carrying a worker, a cav, 3 samurai, 3 tows, and 4 artillery.
Worker from Fukushima chops.

Short rush docks in Edo, Satsuma, Nagoya and Kagoshima.
Rush dock in Tokyo.

Cleo: Ecology > 31gpt + 58g + w map. Make 25g from further map trading.

1325 > 1330

Carthage and Russia end embargo their against us.
Cleo demands Rockets, and gets them.
Egypt and the Mayans embargo against us.
The Byzantines are reduced to 2 cities.

Tokyo: dock > court.
Edo: dock > CIA.

1330 ad

The settler combo that stayed on the rails gets close to the aluminium at Eulbar. The combo that stepped off the rails gets back onto roads.
The triple settler combo progresses right through Russian and Ottoman territory, and arrives in the land of unclaimed resources. Send one to grab dyes, and steal a rubber from the Ottomans. Another goes for free wool and saltpeter. The third goes for free oil and iron.
Mayan task force advances; one transport uses a ship chain to advance an extra 12 tiles.

Short rush court in Edo.
Rush destroyers in Sapporo and Matsuyama, to go and protect the Mayan expidition. I don't want a repeat of the Portuguese incident.

Gil: ROP > w map + 1g; buying anybody's w map straight up would cost 15 or 16g! Trade maps for 21g profit.

1330 > 1335

Russia and Rome end their embargo against us.
Inca and Mongols agree peace.
Koreans and Celts ally against Byzantium.
Shaka demands Rockets, and gets it.

Kyoto: court > dock.
Fukushima: worker > court.
Kagoshima: dock > tank.
Yokohama: dock > marine.
Matsuyama: destroyer > transport.
Sapporo: destroyer > barracks.

1335 ad

Both destroyers head southeast.
Settler combo in Scandinavia makes it onto the American rail net in old Quois territory.
Settler combo heading for aluminium finds the area choked with Spanish troops.
Settler combo heading for dyes gets into position.
Settler combo changes target, aiming for Ottoman aluminium, in case the Spanish source doesn't come free.
Workers at Fukushima chop into the court; finsih the build with cash rush.
The second transport-load of troops uses a ship-chain to catch up the first load.
The Mayan expidition heads east rather than southeast, approaching the German coast - they could unload and travel by land to negate the danger of the transports being sunk.
Join a worker to Tokyo and a worker to Satsuma.

Suo founded next to wool; start worker.
Short rush transport in Ise and destroyer in Osaka. Rush lab in Tokyo.

Abu: Electronics > 40gpt + 17g + w map. Map trade for more chump change.
Embassy Rome for 145g (6 infantry defend a hydro build, 5 luxes, all pre-modern resource, 30% science, currently in anarchy - perhaps their democracy was just overthrown?).
Embassy the Aztecs for 87g (4 pikes defend a colosseum build, no luxes, only ancient reources, 30% science).

1335 > 1340

The Americans sail 2 frigates and a galley into our waters north of Kappa.
Arabia and Korea sign MPP.
Portugal and Egypt end their embargo against us.
Gil offers MPP, but gets a free t map instead.
Persia allies Arabia against France.

Osaka: destroyer > worker.
Tokyo: lab > court.
Fukushima: court > settler.
Nagasaki: dock > barracks.

1340 ad

2 destroyers continue sailing southeast.
New destroyer lingers in local waters.
Settler combos move into place to grab the Indian uranium and Spanish aluminium.
Settler combo in Ottoman Holland heads to the aluminium side of Holwerd; there is plenty of food here, so we could quickly get a settler over to the oil side of town anyway.
Workers at Fukushima irrigate.

Bizen founded next to dye and Ottoman rubber; start temple.
Short rush marine in Yokohama, tank in Kagoshima and dock in Kyoto. Rush barracks in Sapporo and transport in Matsuyama.

Embassy Egypt (15 infantry and a couple bombards in there! Building exchange, 6 luxes, 6 strat resources including aluminium but not uranium. The Egyptians are fascists, and run 30% science).

1340 > 1345

Abu demands Amphibious and gets it.

Osaka: worker > dock.
Satsuma: dock > marine.
Kagoshima: tank > tank.
Nagoya: dock > marine.
Yokohama: marine > marine.
Matsuyama: transport > transport.
Sapporo: barracks > marine.
Toyama: dock > marine.

Germany starts SETI and The Bomb.

1345 ad

Found Echizen next to Ottoman aluminium; start temple.
Found Izumi next to Indian uranium; start library.
Found Omi next to Spanish aluminium; start temple.
The FP is enabled.

Irrigate between Fukushima and Izumi.
Transports keep heading south, destroyers follow, gaining on the transports at 4 tiles per turn...

Rush court in Tokyo and temple in Bizen.

Brennus: Computers > 422gpt + 356g + w map. Pick up another 36g in map trades.
Embassy Korea for 132g (6 infantries defend a cruise missile build, running at a smooth 50spt. 7 luxes and 6 strats (no Ur or coal), 30% science).

1345 > 1350

Tokyo: court > barracks.
Nagasaki: barracks > marine.
Bizen: temple > airport.

1350 ad

Transports and destroyers continue their epic journey southeast.
Workers irrigate at Fukushima.

Short rush marines in Satsuma, Yokohama, Toyama and Nagoya, and tank in Kagoshima.
Rush transport in Matsuyama, marine in Sapporo and settler in Fukushima.
Rush library in Izumi, dock in Osaka, and temples in Echizen, Omi and Suo.

Julius: Ecology > 18gpt + 69g + w map.
Gil: Computers > 101gpt + w map.
Trade maps for 30g profit.
Embassy France for 171g (6 infantry and 3 bombards defend a tank build, 7 luxes, all strats except Ur, 20% science).

1350 > 1355

Aemerica gives Byzantium peace.
Maya dows Russia.

Suo: temple > airport.
Osaka: dock > worker.
Fukushima: settler > barracks.
Satsuma: marine > mech.
Ise: transport > transport.
Kagoshima: tank > tank.
Yokohama: marine > mech.
Sapporo: marine > mech.
Echizen: temple > worker.
Izumi: library > court.
Omi: temple > library.

The Celts start SETI.

1355 ad

Load up 4 marines and 2 tanks and send them southeast via ship chain. They cover about half the distance to Maya.
The 2 advanced transports are almost at Mayan borders - the Maya haven't got Astronomy yet, so it should be safe to get quite close.
The Germans also have a small convoy heading towards the Maya as part of our alliance.

Wang: wool + 2gpt > dyes + ROP. I was hoping to use his rail net, back actually looking at it, I see that it is not very good. There is more aluminium going free in old Babylonian territory.

Workers chop at Izumi; rush the court.
Short rush marine in Nagasaki. Rush airport in Bizen and barracks in Tokyo.

Hanni: Ecology > 7gpt + 12g + w map.
Temu: Ecology > 169gpt + 197g + w map.
Julius: Fission > 34gpt + 65g + slave + w map.
Make another 15g from map trading.

1355 > 1360

Spain and Russia and their embargo against us.
Byzantines and Aztecs agree peace.
The Egyptians finish off Byzantium.
France and the Maya sign an embargo against us.

Kyoto: dock > hospital.
Toyama: marine > mech.
Bizen: airport > worker.
Izumi: court > university.

Sumeria starts SETI.
The Ottomans get Space!

1360 ad

Found Echigo to grab Viking aluminium; start temple.

Workers irrigate near Izumi. Fly another worker into Fukushima to form a rail gang.
Fly a worker over to Bizen. Fly a tow into Fukushima, and send Fukushima's tow over to Echigo.
The destryers arrive near Maya.
Unload the troops next to Bonampak. Let's see what the Mayans can come up with.

Short rush mech in Satsuma, transport in Ise, tank in Kagoshima, mech in Yokohama.
Rush transport in Matsuyama, mech in Sapporo, worker in Echizen, library in Omi, airport in Suo, barracks in Fukushima and barracks in Tokyo.

Abu: Ecology > 21gpt + 6g + w map.
Hanni: Rockets > 2 slaves + 1gpt + 14g + w map.
Map trade for 28g profit.
Our per turn rep is shot. Could it be the destruction of the Byzantines while we had deals ongoing with them?
Embassy Persia for 178g (7 mechs defend a tank build, 4 luxes, all strats, 30% science).

1360 > 1365

France and Russia end their embargo against us.
Persia allies Sumeria against Russia.
Maya does not attempt to engage our forces.

Suo: airport > worker.
Tokyo: barracks > airport.
Fukushima: barracks > market.
Satsuma: mech > mech.
Kagoshima: tank > court.
Nagoya: marine > mech.
Nagasaki: marine > mech.
Yokohama: mech > mech.
Sapporo: mech > mech.
Echizen: worker > airport.
Omi: library > cathedral.

The Ottomans complete The Bomb. Germany switches to SETI.
The Inca finally reach the medieval.

1365 ad

Bomb Bonampak 4 times for 4hp damage; there are 3 muskets in there. Bomb with a destroyer for no damage.
Sink a Mayan galley with a destroyer, losing 1hp.
Cav attacks Bonampak and dies, revealing a fourth musket.
Tow kills musket, tow kills musket, samuari retreats, samurai dies, samurai kills musket to start GA.
The last two takes out a musket to capture Bobampak; 4 resisters out of 9 citizens; start worker.
Worker builds airfield next to Bonampak.

Workers rail Izumi's uranium.
Fly a tank over to Bonampak.
Fly a mech to Bizen, and Bizen's guerilla back to Edo.
Fly a mech to Suo, and Suo's guerilla back to Edo.

Rush aqueduct in Nara, worker in Bizen, university in Izumi, temple in Echigo.
Short rush hospital in Kyoto.

Abu: Rockets > 48gpt + 3g + w map. Map trade for 39g profit.

1365 > 1370

Sumerians ally Mayans against Carthage.
Mongols and Americans sign MPP.
The Mayans get 4 units into our territory at Bonampak.

Kyoto: hospital > factory.
Quell 1 resister in Bonampak.
Nara: aqueduct > worker.
Bizen: worker > library.
Izumi: university > lab.
Echigo: temple > airport.

1370 ad

Upgrade the 2 guerillas on Theta.
Arts bomb the Mayan stack, redlining their pike and knight.
Regular tow attacks Mayans, promoting to vet. Tank kills longbow and pike for an autopromotion. Tow kills knight.
Bomb Chichen with destroyers for 1hp damage.
Chain the marines down to Chichen, and have a crack at it. Kill 4 muskets to take the town; 7 resistors out of 9 citizens.
Leave the 4 marines in Chichen, to defend against any Mayan knights that might show up, although most of their troops are pedestrian.
Fly a mech and marine into Bonampak airfield, and a worker over to Suo.

Workers rail near Izumi. Road near Echizen and the dyes at Bizen. Start a chop at Bizen. It is in quite a culture struggle with Ottoman Chengdu over rubber, so there will be plenty of rushing to be done here.
Join a worker into Kyoto to bring it to size 13 without losing the food in the bin.

Short rush factory in Satsuma, mech in Nagoya, tank in Nagasaki and factory in Yokohama.
Short rush using battleships in Toyama, Tokyo, Matsuyama and Sapporo, prebuilding for rigs.
Rush airport in Echizen, cathedral in Omi.

Cath: Fission > 18gpt + 48g + w map.
Temu: Fission > 57gpt + 76g + w map.
Bella: Ecology > ROP + 33gpt + 35g + w map.
Abe: Computers > 180gpt + 111g + w map.
Wang: Computers > 71gpt + 14g + 2 slaves + w map.
Julius: Computers > ROP + 74gpt + 72g + w map.
Map trade for another 21g.

1370 > 1375

Temu wants to cancel ROP - give him 1gpt to renew it. His mood goes up from cautious to polite.
Germany allies France against Carthage.
Hanni wants to embargo the Mongols, but I counter-propose t map > w map.
Ragnar wants to cancel ROP - 3gpt + 7g to renew it. It doesn't improve his mood.
Persia allies Rome against Russia.
India wants to cancel ROP - 4gpt to renew.
A large Mayan stack arrives at Chichen.

Quell 1 resister in Chichen.
Quell 2 resisters in Bonampak; riots.
Edo: CIA > solar plant, prebuilding for rig.
Ise: transport > factory, prebuilding rig.
Kagoshima: court > solar plant, prebuilding rig.
Nagoya: mech > factory, prebuilding rig.
Echizen: airport > library.
Omi: cathedral > airport.

We lose our supplies of silk and oil, although there is still a free oil source near Echizen. Gandhi will also give us oil for Fission.
Gil will sell us silks again, although he is charging 46gpt. We don't need the silks urgently, except to get our towns back into WLtKD. Hopefully he will still have them available in 3 turns time...

The attached map shows our holdings in red, with the resources they claim, or are attempting to claim. Looking at this, I obviously went overboard on aluminium (mindful that it is needed for all SS parts) but skimped on rubber (needed for one SS part). Perhaps we should prioritise grabbing that free rubber source over culture-squabbling with the Ottomans at Chengdu; fly over a couple of workers, join them to Bizen, and rush a settler?

Attachments

• Veteran_SG013_resources.JPG
    Veteran_SG013_resources.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 258
Nice going. I'll be taking a closer look and probably get to it tomorrow. If any of our other team members want to jump in, do so.

I don't know why I forgot about docks as useful for trade. I'll probably try to grab that free rubber source as you suggest. I also agree territory from the Maya isn't too improtant. It would be nice to eliminate them, though as I think they still have a few embargoes against us. Strange about the gpt rep hit as we were making quite a few deals with the Babs when they were destroyed and didn't seem to take a hit then. I'll also try to build up some cash and finish building embassies if they aren't done already. I agree we should be careful about using spies, but they might prove indispensible later on. Research path should be nuclear power-laser-robotics after miniaturization. It would be nice if another tech or two became available before our monopoly comes in.

I think the rep loss might be because we were giving Theo resources, not just gpt. I must admit I wasn't really expecting her demise to be a problem. The original reason I considered trying to keep her alive was so that she could keep up her gpt payments to us. I did wonder if the problem is that we are being blamed for breaking someone else's per turn deal, by stealing their resource from them, but I suspect the Byzantine explanation is more likely.
The embassies are all done, except for the Mayans of course.
I avoided doing any per turn deals with Henry, in case we decided to go pick on him again, although there probably isn't much reason to do so. I suppose that island he shares with Spain is suitable for beaker farming.
The worker pumps were both running for most of my turnset, as we still don't have enough workers to jump our towns up to their maximum population capacity, and anyway I kept finding more uses for workers, sending them abroad. As for the FP, I didn't start it yet, but I was thinking that Kyoto would be suitable; orginally I was thinking of Osaka, but Kyoto can work almost the same tiles, and as it doesn't run as a worker pump we can build the FP and keep making population at the same time. iirc, it would max out at about 19 citizens, if Osaka and Tokyo get up to size 12.

Top Bottom