SGOTM 14 Maintenance Thread

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
SGOTM 14 - Humanitarian Portuguese Domination
Welcome to the SGOTM 14 Maintenance thread. The purpose of this thread is to give you somewhere to post about non-spoiler issues relating to the game. It is a way of communicating to the rest of the players outside your team, and with the staff about matters that affect your team or everyone. You can post about bugs, rule clarifications, problems with the roster etc. Please subscribe to it so that you are kept up to date with new information as the game proceeds.

The starting saves will become available on the SGOTM Progress and Results page on October 18th, at midnight, server local time.

Henry of Portugal intends to dominate the world, but he also wants to conserve as much as possible of its cultural diversity. This is a Demigod game, on a standard archipelago map. Thanks go to Ivan Larkin and CommandoBob for assembling the specification for this game. You can see the discussions leading to it in this thread.

The winning laurels will be awarded to the team that reaches a fast Domination victory with the highest "humanitarian" score. Each civilization that is still alive in your victory save will add ten points to your score. Each turn that you take to reach victory will deduct one point from your score.

The game will be played to GOTM standards. No one plays the save except the current team player. No replays except in the event of a crash. Set autosaves for every turn so that you only replay the current turn if you suffer a crash.

Here's the start. All the food, shields and luxuries you could wish for :D. Click the picture for a bigger image.

Map Parameters
Playable Civ - Portugal
Difficulty - Demi-god
Opponents - 24
World - Standard (100 x 50), Archipelago, 60% water
Barbarians - Roaming

The map may have been tweaked :p

Game mods:
We shall use the default rules as defined in the SGOTM Reference Thread. Note that Differential Naval Movement remains a feature of the SGOTM scenarios.

All the AI civs have been provided with additional defence in the form of a Pikeman to reduce the chances of too many AI-on-AI deaths.

In a deal which includes a resource, a millitary alliance or a trade embargo, the human player is not allowed to pay the AI more gpt to AI than the AI demands.
Detailed discussions of the reasoning surrounding this are available starting here in the SGOTM 13 sign-up thread, as well as in a number of other HoF and GOTM-related forums.

The SGOTM Mediterranean resources are included. If you have played previous SGOTMs then you will be ready. Other players will need to download and unzip a small graphics mod pack linked in the Reference thread.

Please ensure that you have included the line: NoAIPatrol=0 in your conquests.ini text file:

A 'fix' for the Barbarians!:
As many of you know, the barbarians in C3C are 'broken'. This can be fixed by going to your \Conquest\ folder, and opening your Conquests.ini file, and adding a line noaipatrol=0 to the file. Whilst we cannot force people to do this, it will make the game a bit more interesting if you do. If you are not comfortable editing your .ini file, you can download a utility here to do it automatically.

Players running Civ3 Complete for Macintosh should contact me if they have any problems with the mod. If they are not running a patched version they will need to use FileValet to compress their saves for upload, and they may also need to use it to 'clean' downloaded saves before playing.

Please visit the following links to ensure that you are adequately prepared, skipping references to PtW or Vanilla versions of Civ3.

The GOTM Reference Thread.
The SGOTM Reference Thread.

Notes:
  • ONLY Conquests version 1.22 (C3C) is supported for this SGOTM.

• All teams will compete for a single award set:
    The Crimson Laurels will be awarded for the Domination victory with the most civs still alive, and in the least turns. Each live civ adds ten points. Each turn taken to achieve victory deducts one point. If two teams score the same then the most humanitarian team wins - the one with more civs alive. If this figure is also equal then the Jason scores will be the tie breaker.

The Wooden Spoons are for the lowest Jason-scoring finish, win or lose, but you have to try to win!

• All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.
  • Spoiler information will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

Team assignments are listed below, and will be updated in the event of any notified changes of personnel.

As my next notice in this Maintenance Thread, I'd like to introduce your new SGOTM Manager. Renata will be taking over SGOTM management and administration forthwith, so please welcome her into her new role.

Renata has been a member of the GOTM staff for several years, and has also played a number of SGOTMs, so she is well qualified to take on this job. She will be your primary GOTM Staff contact point from now on during this game, though I shall, of course, remain available to support her and to help with technical issues if necessary.

Over to you, Renata. Good luck! :D

Thank you, Alan; I'll try not to stuff it up too badly.

Must be a poor screenshot. You start with the usual settler, worker and scout and 10 gold.

I've replaced the big copy of the image with a high quality version

Welcome Renata!

I hope we don't stress you too much ... ;-)

lurker's comment:
In case the old screenshot has given any false leads, please make sure you check out the higher res one that I have uploaded in its place. I wouldn't want all those spreadsheets to be based on false assumptions!

Hint: There's no white dot under that cow ...

I think CivAssist gets its info from the flags in the scenario, so it sounds as if either(a) it is misinterpreting the flags or (b) the C3C editor set the flags incorrectly. It was certainly created using the Archipelago option in the editor, and it sure looks like one to me. I also checked the actual water coverage before I released the game. It might not be precisely 60%, but it's not *that* far out.

[UPDATE] Having looked at the data within the save, it looks as if the editor set the flags incorrectly. That's not entirely a surprise, as I'm not an expert in the use of the editor, though I would have thought they would pick up the selections I made when the map was generated. However, I don't believe those parameters are likely to affect the actual game.

I will contact Alan H.

Just to make sure: I am allowed to download my team's current save from the results & progress page, even if it's not my turn to play, and open it in C3C to look at the current state/strategy etc, as long as I don't move any units or otherwise "look into the future", is that right?

Regards, Lanzelot

@ TheOverseer: I'll double-check with AlanH about your issue and make sure we're on the same page, but in the future you can just PM me about this sort of thing. The whole idea here is to give Alan *less* work. :p [Edit: Good, he said what I would have.]

@ Lanzelot: The game gets played once and only once, down to its smallest parts, that is indeed what's in the rules. So what you suggest is fine.

I notice that in the Civilopedia caravels have a movement factor of eight, consistent with differential naval movement; but Carracks, which we the players will actually be building, have their original MF of four. Is this a real problem, or did someone just forget to update the Civilopedia?

I suspect it's just the Civilopedia, but I'll double check for you.

Hi

Apologies. I finally nailed the problem with sea movement, but it looks as if the Diff Naval Movement bugs in Conquests live on ... and on ... :(

I'll have to grab your saves and edit the Carrack movement to eight. At least there are only four team saves to edit this time :p

I'll have to grab your saves and edit the Carrack movement to eight. At least there are only four team saves to edit this time :p

Hi Alan,
I did not start playing. (Team is still discussing.) So you can just grab the current save from the progress & results page and I'll re-download from there.

Lanzelot

Here is something I'd like to get some advice on:
I'm playing on a German edition of C3C. When I loaded the previous SGOTM save file, C3C exited with an error message like "File not found: Art\units\Warrior\Warrior.ini". I fixed this problem by making a copies of the German folders (e.g "Art\units\Krieger\Krieger.ini") and renaming them to the English names.

(As a matter of fact I had already done most of that work a year and a half ago, when I played the Great War scenario. But apparently that scenario didn't need the ancient units, so I had omitted them...)

Today, when I started to load the current save file, it again exited with such an error message. It turned out that I had incorrectly guessed the English name of 2-3 units. (E.g it should have been "Mounted Warrior" with a space instead of "MountedWarrior".) Apparently in the first save file the Iroquois had not yet built any of those, so the error went unnoticed.

Now I'm a bit worried: I assume, if there are other units, whose English name of the art-folder I have guessed incorrectly, the game will probably crash in mid-game, when the first unit of that type is built! Is there a general solution to this problem? I would think that others (Paul#42, klarius, Più Freddo, socralynnek) will have the same issue?! Or do all of you own an English edition of C3C?

Best Regards, Lanzelot

I have edited the latest team files to give the Carrack the correct movement points. Please make sure you download your new save from the Progress and Results page before you continue ... unless you prefer slow Carracks :p.

I'll also post this in the team threads.

Lanzelot, I don't know of any general solution, but here are the lists of units in the English version of Civ 3, PTW and Conquests.

Spoiler :

Civ 3 part 1

Civ 3 part 2

Civ 3 part 3

PTW part 1

PTW part 2

Conquests

Lanzelot, I have installed the English version, so I don't know about these problems.

Maybe you can PM Kulko if he doesn't read this. He has installed the German version.

But I guess, you could check the list Renata provided.

Top Bottom