1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 14 - Misfit Gypsy Nuts

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

What is wrong with curs???

2. Ronnie1

Ronnie1 Chieftain

Nothing wrong...we just didn't have very many a that point, and we weren't aggressive enough with the whip! As I stated before, we didn't prioritize Astro at all, so our troops from our core had a loooong march to the front!:(

3. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

For the teams I've been on, not whipping enough has been a particular sticking point.

4. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I think whipping was your main issue. We didn't get astronomy till late. We used road for nearly all our wars. We did use workers to road the centre of the map.

One of the reasons our score stayed below yours for a while was because we kept whipping away the cities. If a curs was over 2-3 turns we tried to whip it.

Reading pd whipping stuff is quite interesting too.

5. Grifftavian

Grifftavian Chieftain

Given the choice, I think we would have waited a bit longer for that war. Don't forget that Asoka/Ragnar declared on us, and we weren't quite ready. The first few turns of that war were spent defending our cities from their stacks. Perhaps we should have considered a Knight rush for that first war.

6. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Woah!! They did come at you pretty hard. Do you think you needed more than 7-8 cities to start your whipping units? Especially with poor tundra cities. I also wonder if you suffered close border tensions too because of this?

On our game come 250 ad we had finished nationalism. We took lib at 520ad and grabbed MT and churned out TM wonder too before our whips started! We had about 8 cities at this point. We started whipping curs around 600ad.

At that stage the Indians/Vikings and English/mongols were both at pleased. In fact i don't think the AI started any wars all game. Our power rating probably helped here late game. Adopting the Indian/Viking religion and gifting them techs may of helped. We were only trying to get open borders.

7. Sleepless

Sleepless Chieftain

Well got a working computer again. Shame a couple of weeks to late.. :)

As I haven't seen the last few saves bit hard to comment on what would have been better. I do agree though one of our big sticking points was the Indian/Viking war. I don't think I could have whipped much more but certainly could have done with more troops afterwards as we lost a couple of cities after taking them when we shouldn't and opened the war front against Ragnar before we had enough troops for the Indians.

Saying that I had a fun time playing with everbody and looking forward to the next one. :)

8. nocho

nocho Chieftain

In the end we managed to do it in 8, just beating you by 4 turns. Judging by your 1525AD save it looks like we played very similar games... We teched to exactly the same point, used cuirs/cavalry to wipe the map and I assume you also took state property to fund it all. So 4 turns must be well within typical RNG-noise. :) Still glad we managed to beat you though. :p

Anyway, judging by PR's game (let alone PD's) we both probably took a too save approach though with SP and cavs.

In any case, cheers and congrats to all!

9. kossin

kossin Chieftain

Holy batman! That's a lot of cavalry!

10. Sleepless

Sleepless Chieftain

Mmm wonder if we have the record for the most cavalry built in a SGOTM... :)

11. adrianj

adrianj Chieftain

We'll take whatever awards we can get :yumyum:

12. Sleepless

Sleepless Chieftain

Just glad we haven't got the wooden spoon.... Don't want another one of those :)

13. yatta77

yatta77 Chieftain

Great Game Misfit Gypsy Nuts! :goodjob:

Cheers. :)
    - yatta

14. Killroyan

Killroyan Chieftain

Well played guys. Congrats. :)

15. adrianj

adrianj Chieftain

Sign up for SG15 is opened. I've already indicated my preference for some Gypsy King related team

16. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff