SGOTM 14 - One Short Straw

Looks good overall. You've got the important bit of the great library and settling under control.

Pig city: does it make sense to build the settler before its own WB? (since the clams will be a growth tile more than a raw food-hammers tile)

Ivory city: remember, we are growing this to be our best producer circa construction. Don't work any mines here if you can help it.

Marble city: I'm not happy with the turns you're stealing the corn - it's much better if you can do it after the granary is built, so that we get +11 food when we grow to size 2.

@LC,

Ok. I'm wondering about Marble, as well. I think the goal there is getting to where we can run two Sci and still slowly grow the fastest.

I was initially thinking that we'd just build LH-Lib and possibly improve the marble before chopping the second forest, which is admittedly a bit bizarre. The result at 475 BC was 8/24f and 56/90h at pop2 and Library, which translates into 275 BC library with pop3, 4/26f and +1fpt while running 2 Sci. I wasn't borrowing the corn then, IIRC... That would be +12f and -4h overall (since I was working grass forest instead), so approximately the same date with 12f in the bin or faster with less food.

With the current approach, I can 2pop whip the library at 400 BC, giving me pop2 @ 23/24f at 375 BC, and pop3 @ 15/26f and 0fpt at 350 BC. If I wanted to grow to pop 4 to generate positive food with a grass farm, it would be 3t (275 BC) to get to 14/28f pop4. So, I'd start at the same time, but have a granary and extra pop at the cost of 5 worker turns into a farm. Not surprisingly, fast granary beats LH.

We can try other things, for sure. Whipping the granary is probably the only thing that comes to mind.

Edit: xpost w ZPV

@ZPV,
I'll look at that. I suspect it won't work, because we want Washington itself to grow after it builds the Silver settler. In particular it needs to hit pop7 by the time we have Lit and needs to run off that first GS somehow. I guess it might be possible to run some Sci ahead of time and get more food later.

Edit: I find it hard to believe that Ivory is better off working grass than a GH mine at any point. I'm proposing GH mine for a few turns ahead of border pop. In my further testing, the greater limiting factor on its production post-Construction is worker turns, not growth. It gets to pop 8-9 by the time it can start building catapults, and pop 10 shortly after. I may be wrong...

The other thing is we're kinda short on worker turns for Pigs. It could use the two extra hill mines and even a grass farm pretty much a.s.a. we finish that settler, but that's sorta ok.

Building settler before WB is a possibility. We don't lose too much in the short term, since the WB is just for +2c while building settler, assuming we can take the Ivory hill (though it also figures in the initial turns after settler, when we grow).

Ok, here's a variant for Marble. Only look at Washington and Marble in this one, I didn't really bother with the rest of it.

Edit: the difference is no loose hammers into barracks in Washington, which doesn't matter. I have 2h OF, which could probably be exchanged for food. Not sure what the TGL timelines are exactly, though. Marble gets a lot more hammers. We could 2pop the library for max OF into LH, though we'd have a hard time completing the LH on any reasonable schedule unless we give up a Sci.

Attachments

• OSS SG14 BC-0475 Marble Variant.CivBeyondSwordSave
    202.6 KB · Views: 25
I ran one test. I'd like to do another in a few hours but I need to rush off. I definitely think we want to 1pop the Marble granary. I doubt we want to slow down the Silver settler because that slows Washington growth to p7 among other problems. The Silver warrior can get to Pigs in time for the unhappiness, I think, by going 1W in advance, then moving straight SW to Pigs as soon as the worker gets to the desert hill. I think this also saves a coin or two in support costs. I think maybe 2popping the Pigs library immediately is a bit better overall.

Maybe we can build a worker in Pigs before the Bridge settler, then poprush the BRidge settler...

Here I have Lit 1t sooner, just barely. I insta-whipped the Pigs library and did a lot of tile switching between Wash and Marble. Marble's not that great yet, but I think the granary whip is better than what I had before.

I'll try delaying the WB for a faster settler in Pigs, as well.

@LC,
The warrior can't make it to Pigs in time - it's a turn short. We could leave the NE without fogbust for 1t, but that's not so great.

Attachments

• OSS SG14 BC-0475 15.CivBeyondSwordSave
    203.8 KB · Views: 28
Faster settler for Bridge. No time to write up just now, as I'm running out. Needs more tweaking...

Attachments

• OSS SG14 BC-0375 16.CivBeyondSwordSave
    208.1 KB · Views: 27
  • OSS SG14 BC-0475 16.CivBeyondSwordSave
    203.7 KB · Views: 27
bbp, whether you want to go ahead and play or tweak things some more is fine with me. I'm too burnt out to do any more today. :)

I don't think I'll play any more tonight. Just had an insanely huge Thxgiving dinner and a lot of booze. So, tmr morning it is. Feel free to add comments 'till then.

If no one comments back, I think I'd go for the faster Bridge settler whip. Pigs outgrows its improvements pretty soon after this set, so we may as well whip it, and a faster new city is better. I'd also build the extra worker there. It will help a lot later, especially if we can get Calendar soon.

I'll play through Lit, unless one of the following happens:
1) An AI discovers Alpha.
2) We meet the Wizard.
3) TGL gets BIDL.
4) A barb axe shows up near Canal.

One thing I'm thinking - we really need an 8xp unit fast. An elephant done with barracks+stable is 5xp already. Could we do it by capturing the barb city? Use 3-4 suicide cats and take 3t to get 3 easy wins? What I'm thinking is, should we think about researching HBR first and build a stable in Ivory? The timeline on the build would be right, and we won't have a barracks in either Washington or Pigs until about the time we finish both Const+HBR, I think. If we're a touch early on those, we can always delay for more food instead of hammers.

This isn't a decision to make in my set, since I'll only pass a few loose beakers into Construction, but something to think about later.

Playing now...

850 BC:
Confucianism founded

775 BC:
Liz converts to Confucianism
WB spotted Mongolian border on the peninsula east of England

750 BC:
Liz no longer wants to trade iron - doesn't look like she has it any more
Realize I forgot to move the NE warrior early, so Pigs will be unhappy for 1t

725 BC:
Liz will trade cow
WB spots Beshbalik, hopefully more TR's
Warriors and worker move out to Canal and don't see any barbs

700 BC:
Pick up 3 more TR's from Mongolia

675 BC:
We meet Good Witch of the South (Mansa Musa) and his partner in crime is of Zulu persuasion
Mansa don't have no Alpha
Hanging Gardens BIDL

650 BC:
MM/Shaka wants to sign OB. Both Cautious @ +1. No OB shall be signed just yet...

625 BC:
Panama founded and warrior block moved out successfully.

600 BC:
Our WB meets Good Witch of the West. He's a friendly-looking short little bald fellow wrapped in a locally produced linen cloth. His partner is one scary-looking mofo with feathers and a skull in his hair.
They don't have Alpha either.
Also both +1 Cautious.
I'll send the scout straight SW now. Might as well assume that the Wizard is opposite of us for now.

575 BC:
Booya! Gandhi and Monte have Alpha. They also have IW, COL and... MC (which they will not trade, ofc)! They, however, do not have Math.
Math isn't enough to get Alpha. We need to use Aesthetics.

I'm gonna stop and upload now. I could play out the remaining 3-4t later today, but I think we should take an Alpha trade now and see what's available next turn.

Here is your Session Turn Log from 850 BC to 575 BC:
Spoiler :

Turn 81, 850 BC: You have constructed a Monument in Ivory City. Work has now begun on a Granary.
Turn 81, 850 BC: Confucianism has been founded in a distant land!

Turn 82, 825 BC: The borders of Stone City have expanded!
Turn 82, 825 BC: Good Witch of the North adopts Organized Religion!
Turn 82, 825 BC: Wicked Witch of the East adopts Organized Religion!
Turn 82, 825 BC: Good Witch of the East adopts Organized Religion!

Turn 83, 800 BC: Good Witch of the North converts to Confucianism!

Turn 86, 725 BC: The borders of Pigs City have expanded!
Turn 86, 725 BC: Tipu Sultan (Great Prophet) has been born in a far away land!

Turn 87, 700 BC: Charles Darwin (Great Scientist) has been born in a far away land!
Turn 87, 700 BC: The Hanging Gardens has been built in a far away land!

Turn 88, 675 BC: The borders of Gems City have expanded!

Turn 89, 650 BC: Silver City has been founded.

Turn 90, 625 BC: Pigs City has become happy.
Turn 90, 625 BC: Pigs City can hurry Settler for 3⇴ with 14ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 22 turns.
Turn 90, 625 BC: Stone City has grown to size 3.
Turn 90, 625 BC: Marble City can hurry Granary for 1⇴ with 8ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
Turn 90, 625 BC: Panama City has been founded.
Turn 90, 625 BC: Gems City will grow to size 3 on the next turn.
Turn 90, 625 BC: Ivory City will grow to size 3 on the next turn.
Turn 90, 625 BC: You have discovered Aesthetics!
Turn 90, 625 BC: You have constructed a Granary in Marble City. Work has now begun on a Library.
Turn 90, 625 BC: Wicked Witch of the South has founded Bulawayo in a distant land.

Turn 91, 600 BC: Gems City has grown to size 3.
Turn 91, 600 BC: Ivory City has grown to size 3.
Turn 91, 600 BC: The borders of Ivory City are about to expand.
Turn 91, 600 BC: Buddhism has spread in Washington.
Turn 91, 600 BC: The borders of Ivory City have expanded!
Turn 91, 600 BC: Good Witch of the South converts to Judaism!
Turn 91, 600 BC: Wicked Witch of the East has founded Bjørgvin in a distant land.

Turn 92, 575 BC: Wicked Witch of the West/Good Witch of the West is the worst enemy of Wicked Witch of the North/Good Witch of the North, Wicked Witch of the East/Good Witch of the East.
Turn 92, 575 BC: Wicked Witch of the East/Good Witch of the East is the worst enemy of Wicked Witch of the West/Good Witch of the West.
Turn 92, 575 BC: Wicked Witch of the West will trade Alphabet, Code of Laws, Iron Working, Meditation
Turn 92, 575 BC: Good Witch of the West will trade Alphabet, Code of Laws, Iron Working, Meditation
Turn 92, 575 BC: Will Sign Open Borders: Good Witch of the West, Wicked Witch of the West

Literature will be easily done 500 BC, which is a turn faster than I originally planned. Washington completes granary that turn, but still needs 1t to grow to 7.

Pigs is meant to whip the Bridge settler for max OF into WB>Worker in 3t, and Gems whips the library 2t from now.

FYI, we can get:

Alpha+Medi for Aesthetics
IW+Medi for Math
COL for Aesthetics
COL+IW+Medi or Alpha+IW+Medi for Aesthetics+Math

Remember, No Medi! ;)

Well played so far; I'll take a look at the save.

Top Bottom