1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 14 - One Short Straw

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Aug 3, 2011.

1. babybluepants

babybluepants Deity GOTM Staff

2. ZPV

ZPV Short for ZPVCSPLFUIFDPEF

Cool.
    My thought is, defintiely do the Alpha-Aesth trade. That way we'll be able to pick up IW from someone else.
    The only tempting variation on that is CoL+Alpha for Aesth+Maths.

Shaka/Mansa Musa don't hate Gandhi/Monty, so they will still trade IW to us, even after we've traded with Gandhi. (Shaka boasts of having swordsmen).

3. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

I'd say make the Alpha-Aesth trade. We should be able to use Aesth to pick up IW from one team and CoL from the other, right? Then we'd still have a monopoly on Math to pick up other things.

Or, do we want to trade Math so that the AI will begin researching Calendar/Currency?

4. babybluepants

There's no monopoly on Math. Someone built HG. Also, in the test game we can do Math-Alpha, which makes me think that Gandhi & Monte may have started on it. Though it could also just be that multiple teams have Alpha in the test game and its value is reduced enough that way.

I'm for COL+Alpha for Aest+Math, I guess.

5. ZPV

Ragnar's already built the Hanging Gardens. There is no maths monopoly.
    The question for me is: "do we want CoL?". If we do, I'd take it immediately from Gandhi, since another AI that has it might not want to trade (either due to monopoly or building-Chichen-Itza considerations).

6. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Can someone figure out what the Oracle researched? MC? I haven't looked at the save, but CoL is very useful for trading purposes. It doesn't help AIs militarily and encourages them to build CHs instead of units. Plus, we can hope for some CHs in cities we conquer. All very good stuff. And of course, we might want to switch to Castes at some point.

7. ZPV

MC is likely. I'll try to confirm when I get back in a couple of hours.

8. babybluepants

9. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

bbp, I hope you've been saving after each turn because precisely now is when we're getting the most information to figure out which AIs have which personalities. If you didn't make the saves, please check if you have the autosaves before you overwrite them.

10. babybluepants

11. ZPV

There's no obvious way to be sure, except that it wasn't CoL and they don't have the prereqs for Feudalism or another big tech. I do think a team learned Iron Working that turn, or some other power-tech, but I don't think it's the Oracle team.

Note: CoL should be relatively hard to trade for, monopoly-wise. As far as I can tell, it has a monopoly multiplier of 1.7, so that will give us quite some info on Gandhi/Monty once we know how many other teams have CoL.

12. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Seems like Gandhi must have traded BW to Liz for CoL. I doubt he'd have traded CoL for anything else, so it's probably just those four having it.

Btw, if they start building Chichen Itsa, we could lose our chance to trade for it, right?

13. ZPV

My assumption is that they both hand-researched CoL - they don't like each other enough to trade away monopoly techs MC and CoL.

Yes, if they start building Chichen Itza then they won't trade, even at Friendly.

14. babybluepants

15. babybluepants

Ok, so we have the following options:
    1) Alpha for Aest
    2) Alpha+COL for Aest+Math

So far I count myself for (2) and Mitch for (1). LC and ZPV sounds like leaning towards (2), but unclear, with Dhoom and shy not around. Can we come to consensus? After this trade, we'll need to pause again and evaluate the trade screen.

16. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

I'm fine either way.

17. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

I'm fine with either. I guess a slight preference for (2).

18. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

I'm happy with getting CoL as long as doing so doesn't mess up our Lightbulbing in any way.

I don't THINK that it will mess things up, at least not on the Astro path, but will anything else possibly get messed up, such as Great People (like a Great Merchant) switching their Lightbulbing preferences to Civil Service instead of one of the other techs that we wanted to get? I'm not even sure if we're going to try to get a Great Merchant, but I think that there was talk about Lightbulbing Guilds, so it probably wouldn't hurt to check the Lightbulbing preferences for whatever Great People types that we might get (Great Scientist, Great Engineer, or Great Merchant I think, right?).

I got slightly confused by this comment, since I'm not sure why growing for 1 turn would prevent us from starting work on The Great Library.

Nice job in meeting the other AIs... I have no way of looking at saved games but it does sound like it is 4 teams of 2 AIs each.

You mentioned looking for the Wizard... how do the middle of the map look? Is there a wall of Peaks around there anywhere or have we not quite explored that far yet?

19. ZPV

#2.
    Hopefully that's clear enough. :p

20. ZPV

Yes, 4 teams of 2 AIs. They are the good/wicked witches of N/E/S/W.
    No Wizard yet, but there's no giveaway. Hopefully the scout will find him soon.