SGOTM 14 - Plastic Ducks

Took a quick look at other teams.

OSS -- Similar war strategy as us, but ~15 turns slower than us at war pace. If they could complete the game in time and manage the war real well, they could earn ~15 turns back in warring period. Could be a close race.

Kakumeika -- T192 UN diplomatic win expected.

PR -- T197 Domination. Cuis and manually researched Astro (not very sure, Could twist or trade from AIs).

Part researched and part traded in peace for astronomy. If we get 3rd/4th we'd be very happy given all our mistakes.

Well done PD. You are certain of gold/Silver. OSS will have to rush the final 60 turns to beat your score in 10 days. The only possible twist could be grenadiers and less units to finish the job. Tough ask!

Thanks.

We had a lot of setbacks in the war which cost us a good 15 turns as Duckweed pointed out already.

Early on we had tests for Astronomy pre-300BC (Bebekija had one on turn 101, which is 350BC), but decided to push back a bit.

One of these days I will update post #3 (thanks obsolete) with more information. We had a unusual opening with 0 whipping and a Mathematics bulb.

~Off to read some threads~

Part researched and part traded in peace for astronomy. If we get 3rd/4th we'd be very happy given all our mistakes.

Well done PD. You are certain of gold/Silver. OSS will have to rush the final 60 turns to beat your score in 10 days. The only possible twist could be grenadiers and less units to finish the job. Tough ask!

The war part in this game was really tougher than I had expected. War with trebs + galleons is the earliest possible way to go, but harder to manage compared with pure mount units. Moreover, we also underestimated the economical situation, we had spent some turns on preventing us from bankruptcy!:lol:

Really good job on showing your Cuis swarm! It's quite interesting to see various strategies going in this game.

Looking at OSS, they are up to t120 and just getting started on warring. I'd expect a t185 earliest finish, partly due to their cities not having great infrastructure/great food.

The GLH will keep them afloat longer than we were but unless they go into raze-everything-mode, their research will die in a not-too-distant future.

Anyway, did not spend much time looking, maybe things are different in their game... if the AIs get Feudalism later than ours did, they could get some good ground early.

~~~

Kam team UN date seems good, it's not comparable to SGOTM11 of course due to different set up of the map. Getting their troops in time to Oz might be challenging since that 1 Ragnar Caravel is in the way :p

Nice work finishing this up, Bebekija! And well played everyone. It was nice to see more of a spread of turnplayers this time around.

Even in silent lurker mode, it was good to be following you guys.

Very well done!

[/lurking]

Yep a lot of different strategies playing out. Diplomatic was the dark horse this game. Although I think conquest/ domination was the right way to go this game. Culture seems like the wrong way too.

Managing the economy from strike was a tough thing this game. Kind of scary when at 100% tax you are still losing 400 gold a turn. Not sure the other teams even risked running a negative economy.

When the AI is still stuck on LB/pike/phants why go to cavalry?? Was there ever a danger of the wizard being hidden in a mountain range??

Great game guys!

Once again you have proven that whilst Phoenixes may rise, a Plastic Duck will always float to the top! :lol:

Our Curis date was fairly weak, iam sometimes faster on Deity :)
So you had a pretty big turn advantage on us, both tactics seem nice for this map thou (very nice map imo).
But maybe you will dig it out in our thread, we had big problems with barbs, considering that PR can be happy with their finish ~~

Math bulb test

In this test, I built the library first. I experimented with 1popping the wb in Gems but it's not as good I don't think because it forces Pigs to grow more slowly and the exploring wb is 10t later. Plus the GLH finished 2t later 1160/1120BC. I stopped work sci after the first GS. This gives more powerful REX, of course, and it might be worth it. Not sure we're in a hurry for the second GS anyway. I also built a wb in Pigs for exploring. I didn't clearcut Marble, but I did clearcut Bridge City. Better would be to leave 1 forest there.

ZPV, it might be good to somehow combine our best ideas, if that makes any sense. My Wash built lib-wkr-wkr-settler-settler-granary.

In ZPV's 800BC save, one team already has Alpha, and all the techs up to and including Monarchy. Without the GLH. I suspect we're going to see some teams getting to Feudalism. Maybe that's why the Ducks appear to be beelining Const+HBR after bulbing Math. They might succeed in killing off an AI or two before the rest get Feudalism. Then they'll just try to overwhelm the rest with numbers.

This is interesting!:lol: Good analysis on the progress charts.

Excellent game, Duckies!!! I watched with keen interest as our medal chances went up in flames:lol: Gotta figure out how yall got 250BC Astro (350BC :eek:). I was one of the few (probably only) on my team that preferred/tested towards a similar approach, but was shooting for around a circa 1AD Astro date.

^^^^for the life of me, I can't figure out how folks like LC can figure that stuff out

Look's like Kakumeika just finished their game in 1290AD....very very impressive win with Diplo

Well done Ducks! I can see I've got some learning to do about how to run a war! :goodjob:

Kam team UN date seems good, it's not comparable to SGOTM11 of course due to different set up of the map. Getting their troops in time to Oz might be challenging since that 1 Ragnar Caravel is in the way :p

Naw, T182 3/4 of Kakumeika fleet was already out, and we took a cease-fire to dodge his camping caravel. We already had our vote population, so didn't need the war any more.

gratz PD's very impressive as always.

What I found most interesting in your early game is that you used Caste instead of slavery and still got to 7 cities very quick.

This caste approach isn't exactly new (i saw it from AZ in some of his videos), but knowing Duckweed I wouldn't expect you would choose caste over slavery.

Was very entertaining to read your discussions around T40 if Oracle->Currency or Oracle->CoL and very interesting that you played the turns 40-90 in 2-3 turns chunks at points. very unusual way of doing this. Something other teams could learn.

I still wonder if some early Knights day would be good contender or not.

Thanks everyone and congrats to us all, I think we did very well.

I'm looking forward to reading other threads, unfortunately the next 3 days are likely to turn into a work marathon for me.........

I promised you a small report, so I will provide. I will edit it later with a few screenshots I took during my last set.

In fact, there is not so much to say, because everything went pretty much as planned.
Points worth mentioning :

- Mansa's last city :
Spoiler :

- I kept the two biggest Indian cities for score cause they were filled with wonders. Take it as an attempt to compensate my razing fury of the last few turns (;) Duckweed...).
Delhi was quite strongly defended, but after all cultural defences were down, the CR3 Trebs had reasonable odds :
Spoiler :

So after a few turns of bombarding :
Spoiler :

- Team AIs are stronger than regular Empreror, but just as stupid : instead of retreating its mace into its newest city Taimun, Monty sent it northeast, maybe to reinforce Tlaxcala, which allowed to take it with a single pike :). Sent the other one towards OZ
Spoiler :

- I had to forget about bringing troops back from Ahmenabad. The western seas were way too crowded with enemy caravels, so I made two bigger stacks instead. Still lost two, but with no units in them.
It was for the best actually, because shorter galleon bridge = more units moved, and I was able to ship all units from Texcoco.

- Oz : Overkill. Was finally able to bring 26 :)rockon:) units to him by T178.
Spoiler :

I started with my 3 uber XBows. Hurt him pretty bad
Spoiler :

I went on with a couple Drill 2 ones. It was enough to bring him down to 4/14 health.
Spoiler :

Then I suicided the rest of the Drill 2 XBows to weaken the 2 LBs, until Oz was again the top defender.
Tried my luck with a CR3 Mace but failed by only 0.3 health :cry:
Spoiler :

So I had to kill the 2 LBs first (2 WE + 1 Pike), before I was finally able to finish him.
I took a great pleasure to kill him with the worst unit I had brought : a wounded Pike !:lol::lol:
Spoiler :

- Witness Monty's last feeble attempt to get back at us ....
Spoiler :

- After that the last city (Tula) was gone in an instant, and that was it!!
Spoiler :

122 longbows killed, not bad...:mwaha:

Thanks again to all my teammates for their precious advice and to neilmeister for this map that proved much more interesting that was anticipated...

I see Duckweed got carried away and has already posted in OSS thread. :lol:

I think they know you have finished now. Perhaps next time tell them the date too. ;)

This was bound to happen sooner or later.

Top Bottom