SGOTM 14 - Plastic Ducks

Domination was faster yes, simply as it can be achieved by killing 5 of the 8 AIs only. We didn't bother thinking it out as it was a lot more work to achieve :lol:

However, earlier war means more cities faster and more production from there. For Conquest this is definitely better.

As it turned out, we only revolted out of Bureaucracy for 3t. And that turned out to be a blunder. Shouldn't have revolted at all. We needed to stay in Slavery and Police Stase.

I've followed your game closely so I know that you didn't apply this strategy in the end, and I'm glad you didn't.
But please note that when I posted the above, you *were* actually planning to keep revolting over and over again, that is what I call anarchy economy. Dhoomstriker was also pleading that it was no exploit, so I really thought that you were going this way.

As for your criticism on kossin's and Duckweed's analysis, you may have noticed my pessimism on our victory, and it was motivated by the fact that you wwere proving Domination to be faster. So I won't argue much here since I pretty much agree with you on Dom > Con.

But please note that when I posted the above, you *were* actually planning to keep revolting over and over again, that is what I call anarchy economy. Dhoomstriker was also pleading that it was no exploit, so I really thought that you were going this way.
You're right about that and I realized your post was time-dated prior to our gameplay. :) Just thought I'd update you on what happened, but I guess I didn't need to... ;)

Dhoomstriker was also pleading that it was no exploit, so I really thought that you were going this way.
In terms of purely revolting Civics, the exploit was closed by forcing a 5-turn delay that does not include Anarchy time due to revolting Civics.

However, when you factor in the fact that when switching Religions, the Civic revolt time delay counts down during the Religious Anarchy, and when revolting Civics, the switching Religion time delay also counts down during Civic Anarchy, there is still a loophole there.

My assumption at the time was that this Civic-Religious loophole did not exist--but our own team's testing proved that this Civic-Religious variant of the original exploit does exist.

Fortunately, we had the attentive Admins as an audience and they were able to speak up in time. :goodjob:

Great work on your game, Plastic Ducks! There are always should haves and could haves that can be discussed, but regardless, you all put in a solid showing! :)

I'm not. I would slow AI teching it by not trading techs around, but it sounds like there are other things that can be done. Making AIs be less friendly with each other?
Yes, if you know their personality, which we didn't in this scenario, you can strive to get them below their willing-to-trade attitude. In this game, building the GLH was a huge deterrent to the AI team that would get it because both of the team members would get the +2 TRs, turning that team into a teching juggernaut. Throw in the Colossus, which we weren't going for, and who knows what might happen.

Building the Oracle is another way to slow down the AIs tech speed.

Yes, if you know their personality, which we didn't in this scenario, you can strive to get them below their willing-to-trade attitude. In this game, building the GLH was a huge deterrent to the AI team that would get it because both of the team members would get the +2 TRs, turning that team into a teching juggernaut. Throw in the Colossus, which we weren't going for, and who knows what might happen.

Gandhi/Monte did beat Kakumeika to GLH, but they really didn't live up to our expectations on tech (and we had high hopes with our espionage strategy!), in part because Mansa camped on Monte's spoke T70 or so, so he never expanded... Shaka/Mansa were teching faster than West in our game, I thought.

In fact, to extend this, look at the OSS result from SG14. Duckweed and Kossin went on and on in their thread about how they were 10-15 turns ahead. In truth, they weren't. OSS actually pulled ahead and killed OZ first.

\\\Didn't want to hijack the other thread.///

That is quite an interpretation. Our games were quite different by the end and strategies went in different directions. Killing Oz faster in your game made sense as you were waiting on border expansions. We didn't kill Oz as early as we could because we were focusing on killing the AIs completely first. Losing 15 troops against Oz would really slow down Conquest which made no sense in our game - but was fine in yours once you were done with stomping AIs.

Our war progress was indeed 10-15 turns ahead. Until things went wrong :)

I quickly went through the replays to show you what we meant.

Date of first city capture - crippling/death... core cities taken - (death). These are hard to quantify so consider them as my interpretation of the actual war timings.

PD
Indians T114 -T121
Vikings T125-T132
English T131-T139
Zulu T137-T146 (T158)
Mongols T144-[!?!T144 & T148]-T163
Malinese T151-161 (T175+T176)
Gandhians T165-T177
Aztecs T167-T177 (T178)

OSS
Indians T123-T140 (T144)
Vikings T140-T153 (T155)
English T144-T152
Mongols T153-T163
Zulu T157-T162 (T170)

Comparison (PD vs OSS) [start] [finish] [length]
Asoka [-9] [-19] [-10]
Ragnar [-15] [-21] [-6]
Elizabeth [-13] [-13] [0]
Genghis[-9] [0] [+9]
Shaka [-20] [-16] [+4]

As you might be able to see, we were getting more and more ahead in the East/South with a 20 turns lead on the start of the Zulu war. You gained 4 turns on the length of the Zulu war (although as you can see this is my interpretation as I counted crippling only) with good warring and canal placement... and we botched the job pretty bad losing 1 full stack of units.

In the North, we started earlier by 13 turns and all was going well until T144 and T148 where I got bum-rushed by Genghis and lost 2 whole stacks. We ended up finishing GK at the same date in the end. How many turns did we lose there...
-7 turns to bring another mini-stack to replace the loss of the first stack
-7 turns to bring another stack to replace the loss of the second stack
-add in 2 extra stacks of units we might have had, GK+Gandhi go down faster (and extra galleons)

As I did not carefully study your game, I cannot tell what went wrong for you in warring (or if it really did).

Hopefully you can see what I mean in the overall warring picture. Despite that we needed a longer time to execute our victory, the fact that we started earlier, and our victory decision, was pushing us ahead despite it requiring a lengthier time. That you caught up on warring is major props on OSS's side and :confused: on our side.

The fact that the games turned out much closer than it seemed to me at first is based on several things:

1) you chose a better victory than we did, requiring around 40 turns of warring only.
We needed ~63 turns of warring, with an estimate ~50 turns being about the minimal time to do it.
2) we got trashed by the AIs :lol: and lost a lot of turns
3) you were not fast enough on border expansions (partly due to civic revolt)
4) you ran out of time and rushed the end
5) we rushed from the mid-end-game. After ~T118, we did very little actual planning and went with general statements.

To re-cap

+10~15 turns conquest vs domination
-10~15 turns earlier start
+/- problems and variables

If absolutely everything went right for both teams when executing Conquest/Domination, I *think* our approach is 5+ turns better, due to the earlier start and ability to disregard total pop.

Theoretically, using our start of the game and heading for Domination would be even better. Total population is not a problem once you start clubbing the last AI team.

Enough if's for me!

@kossin

I kind of figured you jump on the "Oz first" point I made, because it was a bit incomplete. ;) For me, it was a simplification of saying we were in position to win at that point. We just ran out of time to execute our plan.

This discussion could have at least three contexts.

1. The Stage System context. The point here is that domination was the faster choice, which you seem to agree with. That you won by conquest only indicates how much worse we played our domination. And even if we hadn't run out of time and had won, in your view, you could have won faster by domination. Fair enough. My point remains the same--I wouldn't want the Stage System to give preference to one VC over another for some artificial reason.

2. The Hindsight discussion. This seems to be what you're talking about. This is for learning and improving gameplay in retrospect. I like this type of discussion. For me the Perfect Game would be won so fast that no amount of hindsight or even full map knowledge and unlimited replays or even reloads mid-game could significantly improve upon the result. This is what I strive for in SGs. This is what I believe Murky Waters achieved in SG10 and I suspect CFR would evaluate SG2 the same. (I was too inexperienced to pass such judgment at the time.) I like to evaluate how well I and others played the SG with respect to the perfect game. Of course, for it to be perfect, it has to be played that way the first time through.

3. The Deadline discussion. This is specific to this game and to Duckweed's relative certainty that OSS couldn't catch up the 10-15 turn lead that PD supposedly had. This has nothing to do with hindsight. This has only to do with what OSS was planning and doing at the time, real time.

Here is where you're misunderstanding one critical detail about our endgame. We were not planning to wait for border expansion. That was just bbp htting <Enter> to meet the time deadline.

The plan was completely different. When bbp took over with a half an hour to go, we had several settlers completed, we had a complete galleon chain conneting them to Monty's doorstep. We had 3 sets of troops amassed and ready to capture and raze the appropriate Monty cities for the tiles we needed and an artist for a culture bomb to subsume the mountains there. The only thing we didn't have was time to count the tiles and choose our targets--something we had been doing frequently up till then (hence not an overlooked hindsight aspect to our gameplay, but rather a final step omitted by choice in order to submit a victorious save by the deadline).

This has nothing to do with hindsight or viewing how others used canal cities better or anything like that. This has only to do with one thing: No time to play, only time to hit <Enter>. This is not about sour grapes. PD won fair and square. The deadline was set four months in advance. We knew it.

And...the analysis that OSS couldn't make up the 10-15t was flawed. And the reason it was flawed I already laid out--it was comparing apples and oranges.

BTW, :goodjob: Bebekija, this is an excellent tool, worthy of OSS ;)
:lol: I'll have to check out this amazing gpp spreadhseet.
Indeed, Bebekija have done excellent work. bbp and bcool did impressive work in SGOTM12.
I'm happy to take credit, but that would be all bcool. ;)

The first part of your thread is a phenomenal read, boys, especially all the debate about the GLH and Oracle. The second half is kinda boring. I guess that's why we caught up with you. ;) Anyway, I'm still making my way through...

The plan was completely different. When bbp took over with a half an hour to go, we had several settlers completed, we had a complete galleon chain conneting them to Monty's doorstep. We had 3 sets of troops amassed and ready to capture and raze the appropriate Monty cities for the tiles we needed and an artist for a culture bomb to subsume the mountains there. The only thing we didn't have was time to count the tiles and choose our targets--something we had been doing frequently up till then (hence not an overlooked hindsight aspect to our gameplay, but rather a final step omitted by choice in order to submit a victorious save by the deadline).
:lol: I was just hitting buttons. Good luck planning out an invasion of Aztec in 1 minute flat. The troops from Mali get bounced into bad spots, too.

:lol:
I guess that also represents our state of mind at the time. At least, mine - can't speak for others!

Since RL took me away from the game for quite some time, I was restrained to a lurker position at times, and I have to agree that the discussion pretty much stopped at some point.
The thread became dedicated to finding an active player and posting a few lines of report, then rinse and repeat.

:lol: I'll have to check out this amazing gpp spreadhseet.

I'm happy to take credit, but that would be all bcool. ;)

The first part of your thread is a phenomenal read, boys, especially all the debate about the GLH and Oracle. The second half is kinda boring. I guess that's why we caught up with you. ;) Anyway, I'm still making my way through...

The original gpp spreadsheet was Mitchum's work. I changed it only slightly in sgotm12. It looks like Bebekija made one from scratch.

Of course I did update it and sketch out the gpp plan for sgotm12 that worked very well. :)

:hatsoff: Greetings Plastic Ducks.

This is my respectful application for a spot in your team if you are up to SGOTM 15.

I am Soundjata, an emperor / immortal player with quite an appetite for learning. Been lurking the forums for the last 6 months, posting little but reading lots.

I am a big fan of yours. Recruit me and I will make myself available in the hardest of times.:thanx:

:hatsoff: Greetings Plastic Ducks.

This is my respectful application for a spot in your team if you are up to SGOTM 15.

I was going to post that the SGOTM 15 sign-up thread is up, but soundjata's post made it pretty obvious.

This one comes at a bad period for me. Early 2012 is expected to be pretty intense at work + other RL issues probably taking a whole lot of my time.

So I guess I won't be participating as an active player this time. I'd still very much like to remain as an official lurker and give my opinion from time to time, + maybe play a few turns towards the end of the game when my schedule is less tight, so if there are enough Duckies to form the team this time, I'll sign up as a lurker.

Btw : beestar is looking for another team I think. He seems to be a fine player and teammate. Just an idea...

A new SGOTM game sounds very exciting but I am affraid I won't have enough time for it once again. You might rightfully admit that I didn't spent as much time on the last game as some of you did but still - this was much more time consuming than I had ever expected. Maybe I could participate only in the opening phase of the game and then let you finish it without me but a) I don't feel that this would be fair to the team and b) I probably wouldn't help the team too much anyway. So, I won't participatre in SGOTM 15.

Good luck, duckies! :worship:

No final decision from my part but time is also an issue. I wouldn't mind actually playing Civ4 again rather than simply testing.

...that and AP rush doesn't particularly interest me. The only way another VC might be faster is if 1+ AI (or the city with AP) is stuck behind a mountain barrier. Then it'd become a UN race.

Anyway, no final decision as I said, I might sign up as a lurker if Plastic Ducks can't muster up a team.

In the meantime, all those interested are welcome to post around here :)

Top Bottom